1/72 Bristol Freighter

G'day All

Bristol 170 Mk 21 "Freighter" VH-INJ was one of three purchased by Australian National Airways to fly frozen carcasses from the Kimberly abattoirs to Wyndham, a coastal port in West Australia under the "Air Beef" scheme in1948. The operation proved a success until a sealed road was built to allow the cattle to be trucked to the coast instead' The three Freighters then served ANA, later Ansett - ANA, as general cargo carriers until all were scrapped at Essendon Victoria in 1961. I of course started with the Airfix "Super Freighter" kit, shortened the nose and built up the new one using the "plastic card and bog" method. I tried scribing the outline of the loading doors which ended in disaster so I fudged it by painting them in. The fin was modified by removing the dorsal and building up new leading edge and the tailplane tips squared off as were the early freighters. The ANA titling and logos were taken from a Hawkeye DC-3 Sheet but she still lacks the fleet name "Pokana" (all ANA aircraft at the time had names ending in ana) in tiny letters on the nose. The bare metal finish is done with Humbrol "Polished Aluminium" finished with a coat of gloss. I would like to eventually build a Freighter with open nose doors and detailed interior but I may hold off to see if anything comes of the rumours of a release from Eastern Europe.

27245669256_5baf487125_k.jpgIMGP7806 by Trevor Putterill, on Flickr

27279426545_970495706f_k.jpgIMGP7807 by Trevor Putterill, on Flickr

27245662736_408d81dcab_k.jpgIMGP7809 by Trevor Putterill, on Flickr

• Like 30

Wally, your Freighter is really beautiful. The original VH-AAH was owned, flown, and crashed by the uncle of a mate of mine, Former World Speedway Champion, Lionel Van Pragg. The models I have posted here were built about 12 months ago and are pretty straight forward.

Trev.

• Like 1

Another absolute beauty and a great conversion. A really interesting story. I wonder whether the pilots, when learning to fly, ever thought they would one day be ferrying dead animals for a living.

• Like 1

Very nice! I wonder about Airfix's thinking back then. Why make a model of the less known "long nose" Freighter? Also why make the Heron but not the much better known Dove / Devon? They weren't the only ones. Dinky made in (1946 to 1949) a Messerschmitt 110 calling it a "twin engine fighter" but not a DH Mosquito

Rik , that is an interesting point as to just how the descision about what to release comes about. I had one of those "twin engine fighters" a life time ago. I saw a reference recently about a future release of a new Freighter kit from ,I think, "Fly". As for the Air Beef operation, Meatbox 8, at least the carcasess were frozen unlike similar flights in Bolivia where t6he meat was carried at room temperature

Trev.

Very nice finish you've achieved here.

( "Frozen carcasses" - sounds like this outfit was ahead of the game as to how airlines would come to treat passengers! :) )

Cheers,

Mike

Mike W I had missed the similarity to today's airline passengers and Jason the Freighter was certainly an example of the old adage, "handsome is as handsome does". Thanks to all for taking the time to comment.