USAF T-bird Orange

RidgeRunner

Hi all,

I have another build underway and it is for an overall "international orange" USAF T-bird. I use Humbrol so is their 209 appropriate? I would undercoat/primer with white. I'd appreciate your advice. Thanks.

Martin

FS12197 International Orange isn't fluorescent so I wouldn't go with Hu209. I'm not sure there's anything on the nail in the Humbrol range; the nearest matches straight from the tin would be 18 Orange or 82 BR Lining Orange - perhaps cutting with a hint of red might help. However FS12197 is available in the Xtracolor range.

I loaded a copy of your photo into Photoshop, and the color seems closest to plain ol' International Orange, albeit very faded. This paint turns to a chalky-looking paint pretty quickly when constantly exposed to sunlight.

I work only with enamels, but for this color, I would used Model Master #2731 Chevrolet Engine Red enamel as a base. When dry, I would over-paint with a mixture of about 5% flat white/95% thinner and airbrush a couple of coats, letting each dry. Get the color right, the either glass clearcoat or dip the decals in Future to make them stick to the flat paint. The latter is probably the best option, as the aircraft seems to have had the marking freshly applied to the weathered orange. Note the extra fading on the nosegear door.

Metalizer used to make this color, but I don't know who else might make it today.

Good luck,

Ed

Edited by TheRealMrEd
  • Like 1

For comparison sake:

orangevsgmred-vi.jpg

Int'l Orange on left, GM red on right, neither aged nor faded.

Ed

That's not Int'l Orange on the left, that's dayglo/fluorescent red-orange.

International Orange isn't flourescent/dayglo orange, it is a flat orange finish.

Actually it is a gloss paint, not flat. The leading 1 in 12197 indicates a gloss paint. But we all knew what you were getting at!

Later,

Dave

Actually it is a gloss paint, not flat. The leading 1 in 12197 indicates a gloss paint. But we all knew what you were getting at!

Later,

Dave

Bad choice of words on my part! Yes 'straight' glossy finish

1978 and later editions of the T.O. 1-1-4 specified Arctic Markings for trainers as 12197 (International Orange).

0000052.jpg

0000052_2.jpg

However, 1968 edition specified Conspicuity/Arctic Markings as Code 633, Fluorescent Red Orange.

0000053.jpg

0000053_2.jpg

0000053_3.jpg

Therefore you can finish your T-bird in either International Orange or Florescent (Dayglo) Red Orange depending on the time frame.

Jun in Tokyo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/horaburo/albums

Edited by Junchan
  • Like 1