"First Light" Spitfire Mk.Ia, Summer 1940

"FIRST LIGHT"

Flying Officer Geoffrey Wellum DFC.

Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Ia. 92 Squadron, ROYAL AIR FORCE.

Summer 1940.

DSC_5850_zpslarnbf5n.jpg

DSC_5848_zpso7rzjnn5.jpg

DSC_5866_zpscklmpo1t.jpg

DSC_5829_zps3qmz7rgd.jpg

DSC_5840_zpsl1kxhwox.jpg

DSC_5814_zpsrymvb96y.jpg

This model is my tribute to Geoffrey Wellum and "The Few" The kit is the Revell 1/32 MK.II Spitfire backdated to a Mk.Ia. I used Eduard P/E and Barracuda Resin on the Spitfire's cockpit. The figures are from Wings Cockpit figures.

Geoffrey Wellum was the youngest RAF pilot during the Battle of Britain. His book, "First Light" was his memoir of his experiences as a Fighter Pilot in 92 Squadron during WWII and is now recognised as one of the most definitive first hand accounts of the Battle of Britain. Wellum went on to win the DFC and 92 Sqn. went on to be the highest scoring squadron of the Battle of Britain.

DSC_5815altered%20bampW1_zpsdfuuninf.jpg

Brian_Kingcome_IWM_HU_112488_zpsxsmabvoe

Geoffrey Wellum (right) and Brian Kingcombe 1940.

RHavt_zpszlmehjqi.jpg

92 Squadron RAF, 1940

92spits_zpsnhorxoka.png

92 Squadron Spitfire's

Edited by Mike
Removing link to blog under new regulations
  • Like 63

That's a fabulous tribute - really impressive. Congratulations.

It looks as though you've dealt with the front screen so I'm just going to pop over to your blog and see! No work in progress though. Have you modified the armour plate section? And if so, how?

Nick

• Like 1

Simply magnificent. Trying to find fault with your build would be churlish!

Really happy to have seen your photos.

Cheers,

Matt

• Like 1

What a brilliant model and fine tribute to a fine man,........ you have done a great job there,.....love it.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

A fabulous tribute and a stunning diorama which is simple, yes, but it says a lot. I like your black and white photo with the added colour of the insignia and the pilots' flying equipment, it works very well.

Very well done indeed!! :Tasty::thumbsup:

Kev :)

• Like 1

Very nice job although it looks a bit like the pilot is asking the Sergeant about the huge brass plate lying on the ground! :thumbsup:

I do have one criticism though but I know you'll take it as constructive. Call me a nitpicker but the daisies are all wrong. :oops:

• Like 1

Very nice job although it looks a bit like the pilot is asking the Sergeant about the huge brass plate lying on the ground! :thumbsup:

Another lovely job Tango...noel,i reckon he's saying 'if my bleedin' cards have been moved when i get back there'l be hell to pay'...

• Like 2

I do have one criticism though but I know you'll take it as constructive. Call me a nitpicker but the daisies are all wrong. :oops:

Damn and Blast! I knew I should have paid extra for the Eduard daises! :doh:

Thanks all for your kind words-Much appreciated!

That is a truly beautiful model - and as others have already said, a great tribute.

Love your model figures too

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

That's a fabulous tribute - really impressive. Congratulations.

It looks as though you've dealt with the front screen so I'm just going to pop over to your blog and see! No work in progress though. Have you modified the armour plate section? And if so, how?

Nick

Thanks for your kind words Nick! I found a gap around the bottom of the armour plate section when I attempted to fit it to the windshield. To get around the problem, I glued the armour plate onto the windshield as best I could and then filled the area down the sides and at the bottom of the plate with PVA glue. It takes ages to dry solid, but with a damp cotton bud, one can "shape" it to lie flush to both surfaces. Hope this helped.