Ju 88A-4, Sicily, June 1941 (Revell 1/72) +++ Finished 19-08-2016 +++

Paul,

You're unfailingly extremely kind in your appreciation... Thanks a lot :blush:

Have you already started a new build, after your fantastic F-101?

Cheers

Jaime

Hello,Jaime - You're more than welcome.Your modelling deserves good praise.I enjoyed the Voodoo build and as a result I've jumped in both feet first with another Monogram classic which I purchased only two weeks ago.Again in 1/48 scale,it's the Convair 'F-102 Delta Dagger'.Again,she'll hopefully be finished in a USAF ANG Scheme.Guess what?:D It's my second WIP!! :) All the very best,Paul.
  • Like 1

A F-102 is great stuff, Paul :) I have Meng's 1/72 version, which I had intended to build for the Vietnam GB last year. Alas, time restrictions didn't allow me to even start it...

Looking forward to your new WIP!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

With my last German test of the school year behind, I managed to return to this build.

First I took the following part off the sprue. This part is installed under the large port-hole on the aircraft's spine and has moulded detail which is to be replaced by a PE part. So, it had to be filed away, as shown in the second picture:

IMAG3624_zps7axlzkhd.jpgIMAG3625_zpsi0jwtmt2.jpg

The following pictures show the plastic and PE parts side by side and, finally, the PE installed:

IMAG3626_zpshwbke2d9.jpgIMAG3627_zpsgjcoemg9.jpg

Then, I decided to build as many sub-assemblies as possible before starting to paint.

Starting with the wing tips, these are made up of two parts each:

IMAG3628_zpsuuyqzqo5.jpg

The ailerons and tail fin are also made up of two parts each. The parts for these sub-assemblies were glued together and held by pegs while the glue cured overnight:

IMAG3629_zps9jwyfiv6.jpg

Here's the result:

IMAG3630_zpsqi1l24qi.jpg

The plastic that oozed off the joins still has to be cleaned. I did this on purpose, to serve as filler for the joins and minimise the need for putty.

Next, I had to drill holes on the underside parts of the wings for the bomb holders and dive breaks:

IMAG3631_zpsamx8mqxa.jpg

The result is shown in the following picture. There are four 0.9 mm holes inboard of the landing gear area, for the bomb holders, and two 0.7 mm holes outboard of the landing gear, along the leading edge, for the dive breaks:

IMAG3632_zps0ngdvx2c.jpg

The wing parts were, then, glued together:

IMAG3633_zps9sk73q11.jpg

Resulting in this:

IMAG3634_zpsptfdhgdv.jpg

The flaps are also made up of two parts each:

IMAG3635_zpsmiiuhmo0.jpg

The flaps were glued together (pegs were also used while the glue cured), resulting in this:

IMAG3639_zpsnoozgpmv.jpg

Here are the two parts that make up one of the horizontal stabilisers:

IMAG3637_zpsgr3pc1id.jpg

After glueing the parts (once again, pegs were involved), here's the result:

IMAG3640_zpswftehjtz.jpg

Finally, I took the parts that make up the landing gear wells off the sprues. Here they are after cleaning the remains of sprue gates:

IMAG3641_zps7wl6orv1.jpg

I still have to treat several ejector marks on the insides, as they are visible through the well openings:

IMAG3642_zpszcganbdw.jpg

There a few other sub-assemblies that can be built (e.g.: bomb holders, main wheels, bombs) and parts that can be taken off the sprues (e.g.: main gear legs, wheel well doors) before painting. There are also a lot of PE bits to apply to these parts before painting can be done (e.g.: surface panels PE, interior detail for the wheel wells and canopies). So, I'll be progressing with all that in the next few days.

I'd also like to start my Harrier GR.3 during the week-end, as the NATO vs Warsaw Pact GB is less than two months from its end.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 11

Hi Jaime, I have just caught up with this WIP. There are some great fechniques shared here and this model looks like it's going to be stunning! :)

I'm really amazed at the photo etch work. Do you mind me asking: what do you use to apply the glue to the photo etch parts? I have tried the CAndle applicators, but with all but the very thin glue they get clogged easily.

Keep up the amazing work! :popcorn:

Best regards

Tony

Thanks Ced! Yes, I got a good grade on the German test. This was a hard year, with tests every month since November and a certification exam in February, but it was worth all the effort :)

Now I'll have some more free time for modelling, hopefully :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Hi Jaime, I have just caught up with this WIP. There are some great fechniques shared here and this model looks like it's going to be stunning! :)

I'm really amazed at the photo etch work. Do you mind me asking: what do you use to apply the glue to the photo etch parts? I have tried the CAndle applicators, but with all but the very thin glue they get clogged easily.

Keep up the amazing work! :popcorn:

Best regards

Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks a lot for you kind words and interest. They're really much appreciated :)

Regarding your question, I apply CA with the tip of a toothpick. I have more control on the amount applied this way, though sometimes I can't help applying too much...

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Thanks a lot Stix, you're very kind! It's me who gets impressed by the precision and cleanliness of your work. I'm always in awe at your builds :hypnotised:

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Hello,Jaime - As always,it's a treat to follow and study your WIPs.You work with a clinical precision to be admired and respected.Splendid progress too.;) All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

Thanks Rob! Tomorrow is my last German class of the school year. In October I'll start my 5th German school year :)

I did some progress with sub-assemblies over the weekend. I'll post it later today or tomorrow.

Cheers

Jaime

Hi again,

Here's an update of work done since Saturday.

I'm pressing ahead with building as many sub-assemblies and preparing as many parts as possible before starting to paint.

This time I turned to the bomb holders, of which there are four, each one with two claw-like grips to hold its respective bomb. The following picture shows one holder and one grip already off the sprue, but still with excess plastic to be cleaned off. In the sprue we can see another holder and four grips, as well as the bomb fins, which won't be used, as they'll be replaced by PE:

IMAG3643_zpssoohi9b8.jpg

The grips are so tiny that I opted to saw them off the sprue, in order to not break them. Then, I cleaned the excess plastic and moulding lines with a combination of a nº 10 and nº 11 blades:

IMAG3644_zpsfmg6fqgx.jpg

Here we can see one bomb holder and two grips already cleaned and ready to be glued together:

IMAG3645_zpszn4p3wry.jpg

And here they're already glued together:

IMAG3646_zps9yb8471j.jpg

After more than two hours taking parts off the sprues and cleaning them, here are the four bomb holders finished:

IMAG3647_zps8512dhq8.jpg

Next, I turned to the bombs. I'll be loading the aircraft with a pair of 500 kg and a pair of 250 kg bombs.

These are the parts for the 500 kg bombs:

IMAG3648_zpstinbbuyl.jpg

And these are for the 250 kg bombs:

IMAG3649_zpsgswgzeqb.jpg

The parts where glued together and held by clothes pegs while the glue cured:

IMAG3650_zps2fztfpfl.jpg

Unfortunately, the fit of the 500 kg bomb parts is not good. There's a huge gap on the front, which I later filled with CA:

IMAG3651_zpsmeudzsc6.jpg

After this, it was time to take care of the landing gear. Here are the parts for the landing gear legs:

IMAG3652_zpscqtp7os7.jpg

These parts had to be cleaned, as they had quite noticeable moulding lines. Here we can see one of the legs already cleaned (the front one) and the other still with moulding lines:

IMAG3653_zpswfbbcrbj.jpg

The excess plastic was removed with a nº 11 blade and the moulding lines were scrapped away with a nº 10 blade. The cleaning process took a lot of time.

Next, I removed the main wheels off the sprues:

IMAG3654_zpssnin4rz8.jpg

The parts were cleaned of excess plastic and glued together:

IMAG3655_zpswhreidnm.jpg

Finally, here are the bombs, landing gear legs and wheels:

IMAG3656_zpsv03yadbg.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 9

Well worth the time on the cleaning process as its one of those stages that has a huge impact on the final result . Looks like the Revell kit is such a good quality that it isnt fighting against you on this .

• Like 1

Thanks Gents! The kit is really very well detailed and good quality. The only bad point until now is the poor fit of the 500 kg bombs.

Next, I'll deal with the engine parts and propellers. I must also remove the resin exhausts from their blocks and prepare them for painting.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

Wonderful progress Jaime. The detail on the kit looks good and your patient work to clean all the parts in preparation will certainly pay off in the end - so it's definitely time well spent. It's a shame the bombs had such a gap but I'm sure they'll be fine after you dealt with them.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hello,Jaime - Great work and patience as always on your preparation of all the parts and sub-assemblies.i like the mini-clamps you use.They're much more sophisticated than my clothes pegs!! :D All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

Stix, Paul,

Thank you both for your kind words and interest! It's much appreciated as always :)

Regarding the "mini-clamps", they're really just big-size clothes pegs. Their springs are not very strong but can put some not too excessive pressure on the parts.

I've ordered some more sophisticated clamps at my LHS, like those used by Ced. They should be here by the end of the month.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 3

Hi again,

With my German school year finished today, I did some additional work at night after returning home.

I removed the engine and propeller parts off the sprues, mostly using a mini-saw. Here they are, still needing a good clean-up:

IMAG3657_zpshadfvbxi.jpg

I cleaned up one set of engine parts and did a dry fit. As can be seen in the following picture, fit is very good. The parts are holding together without any glue or tape:

IMAG3658_zpssef9bvwx.jpg

I'll have to paint the insides of the cowlings with black paint, as there is an opening in the engine face.

I started cleaning up one of the propellers but I was already quite tired and didn't finish it.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 9