1/72 - Douglas A-20 & P-70 Boston/Havoc/Nighthawk by Special Hobby - A-20B/C/G & P-70 released

Homebee

• 4 weeks later...

Source: http://www.specialhobby.info/2016/06/newsletter-special-hobby-july-2016.html

SH72337

A-20B/C Boston “with UTK-1 Turret” 1/72

1c4c1fc9-7ae4-40e6-a132-259041c40508.jpg

The A-20 Boston was an American bomber plane, in fact one of the most successful military type of the war. The VVS and AVMF, or Soviet Air Forces and Naval Aviation, acquired almost three thousands of this aircraft, making them the second largest users of the type after the US Army Air Force. In the Soviet Union, it soon became clear that during the harsh winter conditions on the East Front, the rear gunners suffered far too much from the elements and also that the low-calibre machine gun was not up-to the standards for the battle field. Therefore, it was decided to equip the Soviet A-20 bombers with UTK-1 type turrets and sometimes also with different armament. The new turret changed the side profile of the plane rather dramatically.

In our reissue of the Soviet A-20 bomber, the decal sheet caters for two machines, one of which carried White 20 number and was flown with its original US camouflage scheme with repairs done using local-made paints and was also embellished with a caricature of the Nazi fuhrer Adolf Hitler. The other plane was Yellow 5 flying in British camouflage also with paint scheme repairs.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

July? But I want it now! I also saw where SH are going to be releasing a new-mould Barracuda in 1/72nd scale. That's one I didn't know about. And just when I'd brought out my old MPM kit to work on.

Regards,

Jason

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just read the blurb from SH , there is this A-20B from the 84th BS 47th BG, an A-20A from the 89th BS 3rd BG and DB-7B A28-9 DU-K "She's Apples" from 22 Sqn RAAF, couple of errors popped up already , they have incorrectly drawn the single exhaust on the A-20B as fitted to the A-20A and DB-7B, the A-20B, A-20C and early A-20G all run the same exhaust system and engine cowls, also they talk about an RAAF Boston with 180+ missions unfortunately this is propaganda story from WW2 , the aircraft in Question "She's Apples" carried out 77 missions not 186 as the myth goes.

Yep, that would be an interesting release, the 47th with their weird angled B-25J side gun pods on their A-20B's (Black Widder), 18 Sqn RAF borrowed one of these unique strafers, not liked by RAF crews , one crew couldn't get the hang of the angled guns and flew it into the ground.

Edited by Sydhuey

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A-20B run the same engine cowls as A-20C's multi port out back of cowl not single exhaust outlet with cooling holes (should be a total of 8 cooling slots in cowl) in cowl like A-20A and DB-7B and the DB-7B DU-K is a DB-7B not C, also depending on the number of missions depends if it has a Sky or Sky Blue lower colour, pre Sept 43 it was Sky , belly landed in Sept 43 and had lower surface repainted RAAF Sky Blue.

On 11/24/2020 at 3:59 AM, Shalako said:

Beautiful illustration. As for the kit, we all know it's high quality.

Wrong engine cowls for an A-20B

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Douglas A-20B/C & P-70 Boston/Havoc/Nighthawk by Special Hobby - released - new P-70 boxing in July 2022
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Douglas A-20 & P-70 Boston/Havoc/Nighthawk by Special Hobby - A-20B/C & P-70 released - A-20G in 2023

Expected in Spring 2023 - ref. SH72478 - Douglas A-20G Havoc - Low Altitude Raiders

Sources: 

https://www.specialhobby.net/2023/02/sh72478-20g-havoc-low-altitude-raiders.html

https://www.specialhobby.net/2023/02/sh72478-20g-havoc-low-altitude-raiders_25.html

Box art

Special-Hobby-A-20-Havoc.jpg

Schemes

SH72478-A-20-G-bokorysy.jpg

Decals

SH72478-A-20-G-decals.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Douglas A-20 & P-70 Boston/Havoc/Nighthawk by Special Hobby - A-20B/C/G & P-70 released