Snow Hog decals?

RMP2

276aa0118f1897cf5b8e6424878bb5cd.jpg

Bit pretty is that.

Id like to build my 1/48 Hog in those colours but Im struggling to find anything with the AK tail markings nevermind anything else.

Am I "man looking" or do I need to get creative?

• Like 1

Cheers, Sundown. Thats one of the threads Ive seen thats got me wondering about the decals. Ill drop the Stig a message. :)

The aircraft in the link is definitely not a what if scheme but it's completely different from the one at the start of this thread.

The real one simply replaced one of the colours of the Euro 1 scheme with a temporary white finish which was roughly applied (note the edges of the paint) whereas the other scheme is black/grey/white painted with neat edges.

Have a Google, I suspect they played about a bit with colours and schemes and the link was maybe not the only occasion they did such things.

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall from the depths of my noggin at least 2 versions of a snow scheme happened at some point on the A-10s.

Also check out the bombs on the a/c in your first post, they don't look very real or current to me, and the large orange number on the IR sensor post doesn't look like anything the USAF use, all their aggressors have 2 digit bort numbers which are applied in the same location on either side of the fuselage.

I had a look for images as well and there aren't any official USAF ones I could find and there would be lots, just check out how many their are of the F-15 in the "eye catching" (God awful in my opinion) that the ANG have just painted.

Ah! Did I fall foul of that? I knew it was out there too! Bugger and such shame upon me...

Im sure there was more than one snow scheme though, really wish I was better organised in my Favourites folder for times such as this. But anyway, theres one scheme that happened for sure and it properly nice, especially next to a snowy Jaguar... ;)

• Like 1

I would love to build the original snow scheme myself but the one kit I have is destined to be a Bentwaters bird.

I really like the idea of a snowy Jag as well, in fact I really like the temporary snow scheme on aircraft from the Harrier to the Puma and everything in between, this could become expensive!

Nope.

https://warisboring.com/in-1982-gorgeous-a-10-snow-hogs-trained-in-alaska-fb972d3c0160#.of00tz2cv

Have a Google, theres not loads of images easily found but theres a few nice ones.

Yes I have seen those, but that is not eh AK tail code one.

I saw a winter distemper scheme once.

.... but the one kit I have is destined to be a Bentwaters bird.

Good choice, but then I am biased.

Great minds think alike: I've been keen on doing this scheme ever since I saw it in an edition of Warplane magazine (remember them?) back in the Eighties! The only photo in the mag was the head-on shot (that's also on the Warthog News page linked above), but it's a glorious, rich, full-colour copy of the photo - as opposed to the washed-out versions I've seen since. I suppose it was a new pic back then! :winkgrin:

Anyway, I've been on the lookout for decals too, and the closest I could ever find was this sheet from TwoBobs:

http://www.twobobs.net/contents/en-us/p236.html

It's OOP now, but you never know; you might be able to grab it from somewhere - I got mine from a swap 'n' sell here in Melbourne. The actual snow-cam bird isn't on the sheet, but it's certainly got the AK codes, along with all the rest of the A-10 stencils etc. Failing that, Alan P's suggestion to get an F-16 Arctic Aggressor sheet is also a great idea.

Hope this helps.

Michael

• Like 1

PS - The Warthog News page (http://warthognews.blogspot.com.au/2012/01/10-80-0221-in-experimental-arctic.html) is a wealth of information... but don't pay too much attention to the AK codes featured in the four-view camouflage drawings towards the bottom of the page; they're twice the size of the ones on the actual aircraft, if you look at the photos.

The ones on the TwoBobs sheet look about right to me. Good luck!

Michael

Edited by type40

Yes I have seen those, but that is not eh AK tail code one.

I saw a winter distemper scheme once.

Youve lost me. Both links show the AK code in pics - have you found others?

Some of this may duplicate the webpage linked in RMP2's post: http://warthognews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/10-80-0221-in-experimental-arctic.html

I was about to post that link too, looks like it covers pretty much everything needed to know to build one. :)

Great minds think alike: I've been keen on doing this scheme ever since I saw it in an edition of Warplane magazine (remember them?) back in the Eighties! The only photo in the mag was the head-on shot (that's also on the Warthog News page linked above), but it's a glorious, rich, full-colour copy of the photo - as opposed to the washed-out versions I've seen since. I suppose it was a new pic back then! :winkgrin:

Anyway, I've been on the lookout for decals too, and the closest I could ever find was this sheet from TwoBobs:

http://www.twobobs.net/contents/en-us/p236.html

It's OOP now, but you never know; you might be able to grab it from somewhere - I got mine from a swap 'n' sell here in Melbourne. The actual snow-cam bird isn't on the sheet, but it's certainly got the AK codes, along with all the rest of the A-10 stencils etc. Failing that, Alan P's suggestion to get an F-16 Arctic Aggressor sheet is also a great idea.

Hope this helps.

Michael

Cool, another search to save. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The Monikio decals turned up today and just for the record they look pretty good, better than the image suggests in the link above anyway, nice and thin, good register etc, but will be a while before I try them out.

One thing though - it appears they cover either the "Flipper" or the "Peanut", not a case of enough decals to do both which is a shame and an oversight on my behalf there as Id like both. Guess we will see.