Y-wing I finished a few month ago

Hi guys, I don't post my stuff too often but I figured I should throw one out there. Its been finished for a few months and I still haven't built an astromech for it. Its completely scratch-built from wood, plastic card and tons of plastic kit bashed pieces, tubes and CD ROM innards. Its roughly 24 inches from tip to tail and quite heavy.

Thanks for looking

jake

20160526_102831_zpszvmgdtdp.jpg

20160526_102842_zpsncws02n2.jpg20160526_102853_zpsoapffzz6.jpg20160526_102911_zpsyznkdwvr.jpg20160526_102915_zpslxd2auzx.jpg20160526_102928_zpsarmdm0oq.jpg20160526_102938_zpsd1f5krvn.jpg20160526_103022_zpscxvcwdry.jpg20150526_134916_zpsumslacmg.jpg20160526_103012_zpsjftragvs.jpg

• Like 17

VERY nice work. I'm going to guess it's studio scale? The only thing that makes me scratch my chin and reach for Google is the slightly conical pod cones that I remember being more flat than yours depict. Lovely work overall though :)

• Like 1

VERY nice work. I'm going to guess it's studio scale? The only thing that makes me scratch my chin and reach for Google is the slightly conical pod cones that I remember being more flat than yours depict. Lovely work overall though :)

Thanks Mike. Yea,I used some plastic Easter eggs for the engine cones. To get the exact correct curvature of the studio model I would have had to cut them shorter and lost the size diameter that I wanted, so I settled for "close enough". The cockpit and "head" of the ship is also too long. But my favorite part about it is the overall size. Its just plain big. And that's what I wanted when I started so I'm happy. I think that's my major complaint with the kits now days, their just too damn small!

Thanks Mike. Yea,I used some plastic Easter eggs for the engine cones. To get the exact correct curvature of the studio model I would have had to cut them shorter and lost the size diameter that I wanted, so I settled for "close enough". The cockpit and "head" of the ship is also too long. But my favorite part about it is the overall size. Its just plain big. And that's what I wanted when I started so I'm happy. I think that's my major complaint with the kits now days, their just too damn small!

That Sir is fair enough! ;)

I know what you mean about the size. I'd have preferred all the latest 1:72 ships from Bandai to be 1:48, but what can you do? The Japanese market is very much into smaller things from what I've read, so we get what we're given. Hasn't stopped me acquiring a lot of 'em though :wicked:

• Like 1

I know what you mean, I've been making steel Tie fighters and x-wings, 16 to 18 inch long and the size and the weight is the best bit. Mine are nowhere near as detailed as yours though...

Edited by Chillitt
  • Like 1

Blimey! :worthy:

Wow when I started looking through the pics I thought to myself "All these bandai y wings make me feel like I should get my finemolds one out of the box" but then I read you scratched this :gobsmacked: Nicely done squire!

Yup me too! Was about to say how impressed I was with the paintwork etc. and then I noticed the WIP pic.....After that any comment beyond the above seemed a bit irrelevant really. :winkgrin: