Hasegawa 1/72 Mitsubishi Ki-46 x 2 Tiger Tails

I've just finished this pair, the Hasegawa Ki-46 Dinah, representing two aircraft of the 18th Dokuritsu Hiko Chutai based in China in 1943 and 1944 respectively.

The kit was quite a straightforward build and I don't recall having any particular issues with it - a rambling build thread is here if you need a step-by-step account.

Additional bits and pieces used were Eduard's microfabric seatbelts and canopy masks, Maketar Hinomaru/Meatball masks for the national markings and a bit of EZ-line for the antenna wire on the Ki-46-II.

Paints used were Sovereign Colourcoats for all the main colours (they are listed in detail in the build thread) and various acrylics for the detail painting. The varnish coat was Windsor and Newton Galeria matt varnish cut with IPA.

The kit transfers provided the tiger markings for the tails and functioned satisfactorily though not brilliantly; the legendary qualities of Hasegawa decals were one of the motivators for using the Maketar masks to paint the national markings.

I'd like to record once more my gratitude to Nick Millman who in addition to the information provided on his blog patiently answered my questions and without whose suggestions and advice I would not be as happy with the end result as I am now.

Speaking of which - and enough speaking - here they are, first the Ki-46-II:

DSCN5040.jpg

DSCN5041.jpg

DSCN5044.jpg

DSCN5046.jpg

DSCN5048.jpg

DSCN5050.jpg

DSCN5064.jpg

... and the Ki-46-III

DSCN5051.jpg

DSCN5053.jpg

DSCN5056.jpg

DSCN5057.jpg

DSCN5059.jpg

DSCN5061.jpg

DSCN5063.jpg

Thanks for your indulgence gents :cheers:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 40

Two beautiful models from an interesting, educational and entertaining WiP - thanks for sharing Stew :)

You can be proud of those - good job that man.

• Like 1

Beautiful pair Stew,always nice to see Japanese subjects posted especially rarer types,love the subdued weathering on all your builds too.

• Like 1

Very nice Stew. I loosely followed your WIP, well done.

I wouldn't mind having one of those on my display shelf, though there's so many Japanese subjects to choose from. I particularly like the float sea planes.

Cheers

Jimmy

• Like 1

Steve, you have certainly made a nice job of these two, the Ki-46 was a beautiful aircraft in either version and you have done them both justice.

Trev.

• Like 1

Thanks very much gents :D

Duncan, you rude man! I think you mean a mongrel Airspeed Oxford! ;)

Jimmy, thanks, I have a couple of the floatplanes in the stash - the Fujimi 'Pete' and the Hasegawa 'Rufe' which I hope to get round to, when the build queue permits :)

Cheers,

Stew

• 4 years later...

Very nicely done Stew, I got here a bit unexpectedly via a round about route about a month & a half late (don't ask! :D ) & very pleased I did, having caught up with the WIP along the way.  Super jobs on super looking aircraft. I hope I can apply some of the lessons learned on the several or so I have in stock. :)

Steve.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I got here a bit unexpectedly via a round about route about a month & a half late

Thanks very much Steve, I'm afraid you were later than you thought, it was May 2016 I built these :lol:

I appreciate your kind words none the less for that :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Haha 1

Bloody hell, where did that pop up from, & there was me wondering how I'd missed the rest of it this year. Note to self, look at the date. :D

Thanks for letting me know so gently Stew, in my defense, I'm at work on my phone & only half an eye on this. ;)

Steve.

• Haha 2

On 26/05/2016 at 01:41, Stew Dapple said:

Paints used were Sovereign Colourcoats for all the main colours (they are listed in detail in the build thread) and various acrylics for the detail painting

Nice looking model!

Stew, could you please post the link to the build thread. I can't find it for some reason.

I'm thinking to start on the same model (from Fujimi) and not sure about paint mixes. Thanks