Spitfire Mk.IXc - ML296, 312 Sqdn, North Weald, flown by Otto Smik, Aug 1944 ++FINISHED++

First coat of Ocean Grey is on. At first, I thought that the port wing was looking a little odd and then remembered that the roundel would cover a fair amount of the grey. I will check my measurements before applying the next coat though.

DSC00840_zpstkcpaklp.jpg

DSC00841_zpsmmc5nlb7.jpg

• Like 3

Glad you won the battle against the carpet monster. The Spits looking fine too.

Only until now mate, who knows what will happen, this model is so small and with the carpet in the modelling space Chez Nimrod being dark, the whole thing could disappear. :shrug:

Great job on the camouflage, wonder how hard it is to mask such a small model ?

Thanks Giorgio. Masking the canopy was fairly easy because I had a set of pre-cut masks for that, I think they were included in the kit because I had used one half on the previous build. The leading edges could have been a problem, but fortunately I had some tape that was close enough in size for this, in hindsight it would have been better to have followed CedB's example of using a paint pen.

As for the rest, because the underside and camouflage was brush painted, it was a matter of masking the small areas to allow this. The camouflage pattern was measured out as per this drawing Spitfire Camo and then it was a matter of joining the dots using a pencil to draw a line that was roughly the right shape. The biggest problem I had was avoiding knocking anything off, which I miserably failed to do when I lost the radio mast.

That said, there is an easier option available HERE

• Like 1

Having decided to go ahead with markings for ML296 flown by Otto Smik, this afternoon saw me add the relevant kit decals. As I said in a previous post no stencilling available for this but I hope to add some walkway lines from black decal stripe, providing I have something fine enough in stock.

DSC00848_zpsb9n5zohu.jpg

DSC00849_zpswlflcrvc.jpg

DSC00847_zpsg0w0clym.jpg

​Next couple of jobs that should see this close to completion will be to scratch a better pitot for under the wing, the etch part is a bit too flat looking for my liking, followed by the addition of the undercarriage and flaps and some final detail painting.

• Like 3

NIce work John, still can't believe that it's 1/144th.

Thanks Cookie. I think that I should come clean, the kit is actually 1/32nd and I have re-mortgaged the house to purchase this thing that looks a bit like a hairdryer, but is actually a shrink gun made by the ACME company - so much easier than 1/144 modelling. :mental::fool:

• Like 2

I made a start on getting the final details sorted for this build and scratched a replacement for the etch pitot by using a short length (very short) of 0.3mm micro tubing and some plastic strip, this just needs to be fitted and the painted. I've also added hinges to the inside of the flaps using lengths of 0.2mm brass wire and these parts have had a coat of etch primer and have now been left to dry, I'll trim the hinges to length before giving them some final colour.

DSC00851_zpsfihwekgh.jpg

DSC00852_zps7rkisj2z.jpg

• Like 1

Almost there now. I've had a rummage through the decal box and found some suitable stripes which I've used to add the walkway lines. The last of the bits are on and the radio mast has been re-attached. The prop is almost ready to go, I just have to check the demarcation between the black and yellow. Maybe some light weathering and then a coat of clear to seal everything in and that should be job done.

DSC00870_zps41t7fucp.jpg

DSC00875_zpspnlgayxv.jpg

You can just about make out the scratch pitot in the second photo. The next post should be the last one, thanks to all for your comments and support throughout this brief build.

• Like 2

Well after another failed attempt at weathering with Humbrol Enamel Washes I got a couple of coats of matt varnish on this tiny kit, so I am going to call it finished. Weather permitting I hope to take some more photos for the gallery when I can get outdoors tomorrow. Meanwhile here are a few to show the final result.

DSC00897_zpsam64uruw.jpg

DSC00896_zpsiboslsee.jpg

DSC00902_zpsfhttbmhd.jpg

DSC00899_zps8ydkxnkv.jpg

​and finally a couple of B&W shots taken outside this morning

DSC00926_zps7jojfvif.jpg

DSC00923_zpskqi4mb1m.jpg

• Like 2

She looks great John. Got to be happy with how it's turned out.

Cheers H. I am pleased with how it has turned out but, due to my own ham fistedness in breaking it off, I feel that the radio mast could have looked much better than it does.

Well done John, once again, I can't believe it's 1/144th.

Thanks Cookie. Mrs Nimrod made the same comment when she saw the photos earlier. Hard to imagine I know, but the whole thing sits on the palm of my hand and here is a photo to demonstrate that.

DSC00936_zpsxhzeqgsi.jpg

• Like 3

I did mess up one of the decals though and I don't have a replacement! :weep: Still had loads of fun making it.

I still have some of the markings for the Pierre Clostermann and Jerry Billing machines if they are of any use, if it's roundels I will have to check to see if I have any spares.