Airfix 1/72 Hawker Demon

Hello everyone.

This is my first WiP posting, and I'm using it as a means to encourage me to get the job done! All the raw materials are ready:

Demon%201.jpg

Rummaging in the loft, I found the instruction sheet from my last attempt, when it was first released back in the sixties. Saw it in the window of the model shop which was conveniently next to my primary school. Had to have it - those markings did it for me. Am I weird or does anyone else keep all their instruction sheets?!

Demon%202.jpg

My next posting could take a while!

Haris

• Like 8

Am I weird or does anyone else keep all their instruction sheets?!

Haris

But of course, most of them anyway. I'm ashamed to say that though I still have the header card & decals for the Airfix Demon, I butchered it years decades ago, to use in a Nimrod conversion, still on the go. :D

Steve.

• Like 2

Nice choice for a vintage kit. And in answer to your query re instructions I have virtually ( NOT ALL!) everyone I built still. Any duplicates from building more than one which I discard or keep separate to pass on to anyone that wants it.

Excellent choice - I love the Hart family! Regarding the instruction sheets, yes I keep all of them*, and each time I finish a model, the sheet gets added to the stack, which I keep together. Best of luck with the build!

Regards,

Jason

*Mind you, this does not preclude your being weird, this is just evidence that you have company.

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 3

Good luck with this, mine's stalled after a real life flying event broke the wing supports and wheel axle. That said I'd reccomend replacing said axle with a length of plastic rod anyway. The one provided has too small a diameter leaving the wheels loose and a fight to line them up properly.

Good luck with this, mine's stalled after a real life flying event broke the wing supports and wheel axle. That said I'd reccomend replacing said axle with a length of plastic rod anyway. The one provided has too small a diameter leaving the wheels loose and a fight to line them up properly.

Thanks for the advice, and everyone for their support. Project now underway and I have a lap full of Airfix Demon dust after removing most of the surface detail off the wings. I will post pictures in the next few days.

Haris

• Like 1

Hello everyone.

Making some progress with the build at last. First, some of the immediate problems - corrugated wings and sink marks.

Demon%207.jpg

Demon%2012.jpg

Tail fin a bit pointed and will need rounding off.

Demon%206.jpg

Some very odd malnourished wheels.

Demon%203.jpg

Holes need to be plugged.

Demon%205.jpg

Sink marks filled and ribs rubbed down. Ailerons carefully removed with a sharp blade, hand grips drilled.

Demon%204.jpg

Reworked parts so far. Details to the upper wing added with self-adhesive aluminium plumbers tape, Some re-scribing, and hinges to moving areas added after separation. Wheels came from the Aeroclub Hart/Audax kit which I didn't even realise I had, found on another trip to the loft! They've been drilled and detailed.

Demon%202_1.jpg

After a coat of Tamiya Grey primer, the wing looks fine, apart from a bit of touching up here and there.

Demon%201_1.jpg

Now the inside. Will post more soon.

Haris

• Like 10

Hello again.

Some progress made with the interior. I've had to remove quite a bit of plastic to had a bit of interior detailing. I didn't want to go over the top with this but to add enough to make it look busy. Most parts have been fashioned form bits of plastic and a few from the spares box, particularly the photoetch. Only thing I think I need to add now are the seat belts.

Before painting.......

Demon%2016.jpg

.........and after

Demon%2014.jpg

I also made a start on the exterior by cutting a hole for the radiator from the Aeroclub set.

Demon%2020.jpg

The detail on the radiator isn't great so I pasted a layer of green putty onto both ends, pressing the wet putty onto some cloth for a bit of textured detail. This will be cleaned up and added to later.

Demon%2019.jpg

Also the gunners position has been reshaped by removing the section behind the pilots seat.

Demon%2017.jpg

Hoping to get the two halves together today so that I can make a serious attempt to sort out the exterior.

Haris

• Like 6

Just found this and I must say your improvements are definitely bringing this old relic up to scratch! I do hope Airfix retool their old biplanes soon, they do some great subjects!

Ian