F-104G Viking display jet, Hasegawa 1/32.

Thank you very much guys, glad you like it! :)

I think I'll do more RFI pics outside in the future, the pictures came out better than I hoped for considering I haven't the slightest clue about photography. The added bonus that wind positions the RBF tags in as real a position as you can get.

Luis, Rod, Screech, Cookie, Neil, F-32, Oliver, Cellarfrog, Al, Johnny, Gary, low flyer, batcode, scarlet, starfighter, Keith, Frankie, Craig, Guy, Woody, Parabat and Turnerdad thanks all for your far too kind words!

Some answers to particular questions;

Joachim- Thanks, You are right I should add a ladder, plus maybe a standing pilot too. That helmet had to get there somehow unless someone is a great thrower :winkgrin:

Forestfan-Thanks, I'll do WIP sometime of the shrink-ray :winkgrin:

Fatboydim- Thanks, just auto settings, without them I'd be lost!

Eng-Thanks, the bungees should conform around the intake a little tighter really but I didnt want to glue them on as all the RBF stuff is removable so I can stick it on other builds if I want, saves making it all again :). Oh yes the tape, I missed that somehow :winkgrin: , look forward to your 104 too!

After doing this, I'll certainly do more 1/32 models, they definitely do have more of a presence about them.

Cheers all,

David.

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 3

Hello,David - The only difference between your build and the real aircraft is the scale.Magnificent work and splendidly portrayed.A stellar 'Starfighter' indeed!! ;) All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

You did good. Very good. :) Hats off to you!

The canopy work on the big un Im especially liking, its very neat with the mirrors, framework and the fine glass to frame seals.

Also the covers for the AoA etc - are they aftermarket bits or scratch built? Theyre something I would like to cover in 1/48 but I dont want to screw it up.

Enjoyed the build thread too, disasters and recoveries with a happy ending.

Now, do you have space to put the big un? :)

• Like 1

Best resurrection since Lazarus. Absolutely jaw-droppingly awesome result - this is one of those builds that evaporates superlatives faster than an Astonishingly Wonderful Superlative ZapperTM! Thanks for the WIP and final result photos.

Andrew.

• Like 1

Hi David,

Once again a monumentally nice build. I'm lucky enough to have seen the Vikings do their show in these colours in 1986 when I was a kid.

The model is great. :thumbsup: This sum total of excellence consists of the clean detail that suggests depth, a fine finish and smart use of accessories like RBF tags (which are nicely weathered by the way).

The 1/72 one almost looks cute next to its big bro by the way.

Jay

Edited by Mountain goat
  • Like 1

Thank you all very much! Great to see so many Starfighter fans :)

some more answers;

RMP2-

The AoA covers are home made, naturally they should be hollow with little open holes at the top which I simply represented with a dark wash to suggest them :), even in 1/32 to make them properly would be a bit too delicate for me. I guess ideally you would build them with thin plasticard all round but I took the easy option there and shaped blocks of resin spares, then added the pin tabs and pins to which the thin RBF tag wires were attached to. The intake covers I think are described more in the WIP but it is important to make the right type as different users had different versions and ways of attaching them to the intakes. I've seen I think 3 or 4 different types on Marine jets alone. There are some Quickboost ones in 1/48 and they look ok but they have no attachment points. Yup I lucked out on this one with the paint stripping :), in future I won't use Levelling thinners with the retarder when I spray Gunze paints, only the standard stuff as I think that is what caused all the headaches and masking tape marks. Fortunately I have enough space, hopefully many more will join it! :) Pretty long and point thing in 1/32 though.

Ridgerunner,- Awesome shot, thanks! Wish I could have seen some in the flesh, eventually I'll do the standard camo Viking too in 1/32 scale, love the clean lines :)

Thanks again everybody :thumbsup2: ,

David

• Like 2

Cheers. Ive saved resin cut off block stuff for just such things. All I need now is the Brave Pills. :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi David,

after looking this brilliant pics of you RFI and after studing and studing your WIP i decided to buy the Italeri Starfighter (with Eduard AM) and will go on building this on (after my current buildings) in 1/32, italian service B)

Oliver

• Like 2

On 11/10/2016 at 1:07 PM, Aviano said:

Hi David,

after looking this brilliant pics of you RFI and after studing and studing your WIP i decided to buy the Italeri Starfighter (with Eduard AM) and will go on building this on (after my current buildings) in 1/32, italian service B)

Oliver

Now your talking Oliver ! David's build (builds !) Is certainly food for thought and his WIP is a great reference will certainly help me when I get around to doing mine.

Guy

• Like 2