Spitfire PR.Ia N3071 - Airfix 1/72

Hi Ced,

Coming along really nicely (as do all your builds) and maybe, for once I can give something to the thread rather than nicking all the good ideas off it....

Rather than the plastic pipette, have you considered using syringes? Come in a range of sizes from 1 cc up, finely graduated, and the best bit - when you empty them the plunger squeegees the paint out so you can still see the markings for next time....

Possibly you could also pick up multiple colours one after the other (wiping the tip between dips (ooer missus)) before emptying in to the receiving pot.......don't know, haven't tried it.

And of course they come apart (with a satisfying plop! - in the larger sizes) for cleaning

Good luck with the rest of the build, and paint mixing

Cheers

Geoff

• Like 5

Please don't blame me, if it goes wrong.

BTW. Where did you get the paint pots from?

Simon of course I won't blame you... or Keith :)

The pots are from the same place I get my Stynylrez - here. They have lots - I bought the 3 for £4 set of 22 cc ones and they're about the same size as Tamiya pots (but a bit taller).

Thanks Geoff :)

Why didn't I think of that! I have some 1ml modelling ones and 2 and 5ml ones from when you had to take your own needles to foreign parts. Parts of the world that is... :D

I'll use those for mixing in the future and keep the pipettes for moving things around.

• Like 5

I did the same recently Ced. Had to mix paint up for something, had exactly the same problems with the pippettes,said 'oh poo' or similar & just threw some approximations into the jar. Then a few hours later remembered the box of 100 syringes I bought from flea bay for just this use! So started again & found my 'approximations' were way out!!

Geoff's advice is well worth taking!

Keith

• Like 5

Thanks Keith, glad to know I'm not alone! :)

Thanks Cookie. It was your work that's inspired this and so I've had others pre-thinking for me - I'm standing on the shoulders of giants :)

• Like 1

Hi Simon - yes, it is the resin seat; you can just see the unpainted flap lever. I've removed the belts from inside the seat but not the outside. I'll paint those later.

Thanks Keith :)

• Like 1

Hi Simon - yes, it is the resin seat; you can just see the unpainted flap lever. I've removed the belts from inside the seat but not the outside. I'll paint those later.

Looks good.

• Like 1

Hi Ced,

As usual, your pilots are exquisitely painted. Did you post-shade the cockpit walls?

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

Thanks Jaime, very kind :)

The cockpit has just been sprayed, quickly, with Vallejo Model Air Interior Green. I quite like the effect this gives and I can always go over it later if needed.

• Like 3

Hi Ced, thanks for posting the "Alice's Restaurant " clip, I too used to know all the words. In the early '70s I used to go sailing around the Channel Islands with a group of work colleagues and we would recite it to each other, happy days.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you deal with the canopy, mine is waiting for me when I return home from a short sojourn in Beaune, sampling the local wines.

Cheers

John

• Like 2

Hi John - glad you enjoyed Alice. Sounds like you have happy memories of those times too :)

Your comment on, and Simon's experience with, the canopy is a bit ominous... I shall try to be careful.

Have a couple of glasses for me!

Cockpit detailed and seat carefully attached with CA gel:

27026295740_4a74165cab.jpg26694241904_ebbda40310.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Need to silver around the pit and then bash it all together.

• Like 7

Ced, I think you'll be fine with the canopy you have (albeit with a bit of care), the one I had trouble with wasn't designed for the latest Airfix Spitfire I.

I put a Pavla canopy to my PR1A yesterday and it fitted pretty well.

• Like 1

Many happy returns, Ced. You share your birthday with my wife so, if you happen to be in Ramsgate this afternoon, pop into the Belgian bar and I'll buy you a drink (this offer does not apply to other BM members).

I hope it's not bad form to post another photo of my PRIa but here's one of the canopy fitted with PVA glue (which I managed to get everywhere!), it isn't entirely straight and needs to be removed for painting but you get the idea and I think if I can do it, then you certainly can.

20160528_102600_zps8fzetnej.jpg

• Like 6

That looks bloody good Beard. I suspect Ced is too far away for me to stand him a pint today, but I shall raise a glass of uisge beatha later and toast his good health

• Like 2

Hi Ced,

A happy birthday to you!

Your cockpit looks great. You managed to get a post-shade effect just spraying VMA!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Thanks Jon for spotting the day and Stew and Keith and Jaime for the wishes - yep, another year closer to my bus pass (if they don't keep moving the age...)

Simon thanks for the shots of the canopy - not bad form at all and happy to see them. That canopy looks great and I hope I can get mine to fit that well. Thanks also for the offer of the drink - strangely, as it happens, I won't be in Ramsgate but do have one for me :)

The roundel stuff arrived from Hannants this morning so posted over here.

• Like 7

I've been fiddling with this on and off all morning. Every time I put these parts together and try to put them in the fuselage they spring apart:

27234756911_e7135f1c56_z.jpg

Why is this springy? by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

The back support won't fit properly. It seems to be the main bars binding on the upright so I nicked off a small part on the each side:

27029600900_be667df1cf_z.jpg

and that sorted it. I also opened up the slots in the i/p a little so that it sat well in each fuselage half and then glued it in one side. It's now drying before I decide on the pilot and whether I need to wash or not:

27234984081_278266b758_z.jpg

I'm not entirely sure I've done it like this before but the instructions say that the i/p goes inboard of the upright so there should be a step between the fuselage and the top of the i/p. Better paint it then.

• Like 5

Internals completed:

27030153970_8107601694_z.jpg

27305423475_8514456882_z.jpg

I really like that resin seat. Shorty candidate #1 failed the entrance exam:

26698148604_bb7d9dab69_z.jpg

so number two was given the job after some surgery to get his legs around the control column:

27272039136_4aff2d4f80_z.jpg

• Like 11