Something with a BFG... JSU-152 (Now photo heavy - sorry!)

Hi Rob. Just checking how everything's going with you and this project? Hope you are well and that you've been able to make some progress with your JSU-152.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Stix, and thanks. Re the injury, things is progressing - I think I had a combination of a strain and gout (the one setting off the other.) The gout is gone, the strain lingers yet. But I'm mobile and getting on with all the things I didn't manage to do while I was laid up ie modelling, processing photos, housework, grass mowing etc.

More importantly, re the JSU - things is progressing. Currently doing the uninteresting donkey work of cleaning up parts and doing initial assembly - wheels, return rollers, drive sprockets, various small tanky-type gubbins etc. The supplied DShK AA gun is a work of art - about a dozen minute plastic moudlings. Fiddly, but I think it'll be good enough when done to not need brass or etch (It'll have to be, it ain't getting any!). Fuel tank assembly is as boring as anything of the sort (2 halves, sand the seam, add the ends), but I've decided that the solidly moulded block handles on the end caps need replacing (why, oh WHY do I do this to myself?), so I'm in the process of making a jig to enable thick foil to be bent to shape for the 8 I need, and the moulded on securing straps will then look very ordinary indeed, so.... more thick foil to the rescue again. Plus all the associated securing bolts &c. Tanks... they're supposed to be less fussy than airyplanes. Apparently nyet!

The sponson filler plates are in and filled, with just a touch of final sanding to finish them off. And hopefully I'll get a bit more done before I head off to work on Sunday for the whole of next week.

Photos.

First up, that BFG. I'm quite happy with how this turned out - careful assembly, left to set up properly, then a rough seam removal with files and sanding sticks, followed by spinning it in the lathe with wet 1200 grit wet and dry has left me with something not too bad. If I spin it slowly in my fingers, I can feel that it's not quite round, but... there's only a couple of thou in it, and that's close enough for gov't work!

27478430221_f6063877f2_c.jpg

27516074836_0213489c1a_c.jpg

and then the underside

26941963323_447156ce01_c.jpg

what appears to be a gap is actually full of superglue.

Fuel tanks - you can see how bad that strap looks - it may get plastic strip there instead of foil, depending on how thick it appears in photos (more flippin' research!)

27451775092_e69ef2ee2d_c.jpg

And the DShK - the part bottom right is actually made up of 4 bits.

27478428231_0639494d61_c.jpg

Finally, the whole thing thus far, gun just sitting in place. Impressive bit of kit (in both senses).

26942116243_f1de9f553e_c.jpg

That's it so far. More as the advance continues!

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Rob

Any progress on the Port and Cigars, whoops sorry, I mean the tank !

Seriously I hope the break has given you a chance to recover, look forward to hearing how you are.

Cheers Pat

Not a sausage guys, sorry. I've been away at work for the last 2 weeks so nowts been done to anything. I'll be home Friday morning, so with luck I'll get some free time to myself and I'll be able to get on with the plastic bashing - this beast and an F-16 need finising PDQ or else I'll miss yet more GB deadlines!

Thanks for the interest!