AMK Mig-31 Foxhound

Hi everyone,

Just finished this beast and as many others have said it's a stunning kit, superbly engineered... in fact the fit is so good you probably

could assemble it without glue! This is my first Russian aircraft build ever, I've never had any interest in building one until I saw Mikes excellent WIP on his Foxhound and just had to buy and build one... thanks Mike!!!

Painted with a mixture of Tamiya, Alclads and Akan paints, although I couldn't find the Akan grey anywhere for the main colour so I used Tamiya XF-83 RAF medium sea grey which I think looks a pretty good match.

Weathered with pastel chalks and an oil wash for the panel lines, the only additions I made were decal dials on the instrument panels and Tamiya tape seat belts.

Thanks for looking, as always comments and criticism welcomed.

gazza l

010_zpserzs1paq.jpg

011_zps5kwzecxx.jpg

015_zpsdxtn3ymy.jpg

018_zps1pawtifc.jpg

020_zpsdymsuqag.jpg

026_zpsmtomhpho.jpg

027_zpsgfejrd9z.jpg

023_zpsaqjq6fjk.jpg

• Like 32

A superb job. I'm about to build this kit after I finish my BF-109. Did you use the Furball decals for the pink window seal? If so, did you apply them when the canopy was masked or after? Trying to figure out at what stage I would need to apply them.

Lovely build there Gazza.........Mike's got a lot to answer for,I think his build has influenced a lot of people to buy this fantastic looking kit,maybe he's got shares in AMK!!

• Like 1

Very nice, good choice on the colour, I agree with you it's as good as.

Quality speaks for itself, that's a nice precise build there :thumbsup2:

Al

Thanks chaps for your kind comments.

gazza l

Looks great, check your alignment on your nose tires. Thanks for sharing.

Rod

I see what you mean it does look a bit wonky but it is actually the foam board base that is slightly curved.

A superb job. I'm about to build this kit after I finish my BF-109. Did you use the Furball decals for the pink window seal? If so, did you apply them when the canopy was masked or after? Trying to figure out at what stage I would need to apply them.

Thanks Texan76 and good luck with your build. The window seals are in fact spare decals from an Xtrakit Canberra PR-9, (hemp scheme), walkway stencils. They looked the perfect colour and size once the yellow chevrons were trimmed off. I applied them after painting once the masks had been removed and then sealed them in with some Future applied with a brush.

Lovely build there Gazza.........Mike's got a lot to answer for,I think his build has influenced a lot of people to buy this fantastic looking kit,maybe he's got shares in AMK!!

Cheers dreadeddrew, you could well be right about Mike, I see he's at it again with another AMK Mig-31!!!

Thanks chaps for your kind comments.

gazza l

I see what you mean it does look a bit wonky but it is actually the foam board base that is slightly curved.

Thanks Texan76 and good luck with your build. The window seals are in fact spare decals from an Xtrakit Canberra PR-9, (hemp scheme), walkway stencils. They looked the perfect colour and size once the yellow chevrons were trimmed off. I applied them after painting once the masks had been removed and then sealed them in with some Future applied with a brush.

Cheers dreadeddrew, you could well be right about Mike, I see he's at it again with another AMK Mig-31!!!

- I'm about to follow the same way........and I have no interest in AMK except for the qualities of this particular kit......I'm even thinking about a third to represent the blue trimed E demo machine......

Thanks once again for your kind comments chaps. Anyone know of any aftermarket pitot tubes? I've managed to break mine off with my head and

it has now vanished from the face of the earth! :banghead:

- I'm about to follow the same way........and I have no interest in AMK except for the qualities of this particular kit......I'm even thinking about a third to represent the blue trimed E demo machine......

I don't think I'm that committed to the kit but I look forward to seeing your finished work.

gazza l