2 x Heller 1/72 Alouette III

Three weeks to go in the GB and this is a very late entry but I feel in the mood to get on with something so hopefully at least one of these two will make the finish line.

I shall be using a couple of detail sets from Whirlybirds for the kits firstly a conversion set for a Danish Navy Alouette on floats and secondly a general upgrade set that I will use to make either a Maltese Armed Forces or Belgium Navy machine.

Decals will be from the conversion set and Berna decals.

Alouette%20III%2001_zps1qaso4jg.jpg

Alouette%20III%2003_zpskal3162u.jpg

P2160635_zpsknqn6jj1.jpg

• Like 3

Lovely

I do agree that there are some nice schemes.......

Hope to see them done up soon

Shame my alouette III was never to be......

Best Regards

Brian

• Like 1

I do like the yellow and white SAR cab

Rodders

I like all 6 options on the sheet which makes choosing even two a difficult choice. The Danish Navy version is a must as I have a set of floats and I am also building it for the Splash SIG display at Telford this year. I am leaning towards the Belgium Marine option next as I rather like the dark blue and it will be an easy scheme to paint compared to the others which is a major factor given the short time to go until the end of the GB. The Portuguese and Maltese would be next so maybe I will have to buy another couple of kits to do those as well sometime!

I made a start yesterday and this evening putting the fuselages together. The Belgium (or Maltese) version has a winch which needs a cut out in the port lower fuselage. The Whirlybirds resin conversion does come with a replacement resin cabin floor and rear bulkhead that incorporates the winch cut out but I preferred to adapt the kit parts to keep everything in plastic. I have also managed to insert enough lead under the cabin floor and just behind the rear bulkhead to make sure neither will be a tail sitter.

Alouette%20III%2004_zpsuyh1avta.jpg

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing this build I have seen pictures of the Portuguese one on the net and it does look nice. A few (lots) of years ago I remember taking the photo bus to the display line of the middle wallop air show and the Dutch crickets came into land right beside the bus not more than 20 yards away. And they hovered at the hight of the open deck of the bus.

Well done for choosing this lovely little kit. I am sure you will do it proud

Rodders

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That is a magic helicopter and it will look good no matter the paint scheme.

I have flown many hours on these Alouettes in the French Alps and they could do some amazing things in very scary places! For recreation, the instructors used to push a cork lightly fitted into a bottle fixed onto the apron, all the way down with one of the Alouette's skids.... without breaking the bottle. Great pilots, great machine.

Looking forward to your build(s).

Cheers

JR

• Like 1

Excellent choice, just hope you have time to complete the builds. I got up close and personal with the Belgian ones in the mid 00's during a time at Koksidje. Very characterful choppers!

Bob

• Like 1

Well they are coming along slower than I hoped due to a number of reasons.

The modelling reasons include poorly fitting canopy parts and very fiddly brass parts (that I am still struggling with). However the engines went together nicely and although the extra detail I have added is quite sparse compared to the real ones I am very pleased with the grills over the exhausts made from fine nylon mesh. The mesh came from wedding favour bags I salvaged from a family wedding a few years ago ( I knew they would come in handy eventually!).

No need to go into the non modelling reasons suffice to say that modelling time has been less than anticipated over the last couple of weeks as a result.

Alouette%20III%2005_zpsjktmiztv.jpg

Alouette%20III%2006_zpspylrt2gn.jpg

Alouette%20III%2007_zpsp5ackggh.jpg

• Like 4