Zvezda Il-62 1/144 - Who is not going to the Olympics?

This turns out to be as much a tour of my reworked patio as the Aeroflot airliner. Not only is the photo lab patio changed around, so I lost where I used to take pics, but my brother bestowed a new camera on me recently. I need to break down and read the instructions - the thing has so many buttons on it, one can't even pick it up without pushing two or three of them and setting off all sorts events. ( I'm a bit of a Luddite I'm afraid ). So besides some rebuilt fencing and iffy masonry, may I also present the Aeroflot Il-62, 1980 Moscow Olympics official carrier.

The Zvezda kit is just a delight to work with, and the decals were one of the new Liveries Unlimited sheets. Great detail on the sheet, but something odd with the glue used, The decals would form an immediate and immovable bond with the first thing they touched, so a lot of floating off the backing and, rinsing for want of a better word, saw things right.

A1_zpsx72gsl1l.jpg

A11_zps2uebinnx.jpg

A13_zpsdrf5jgze.jpg

Cockpit windows from Authentic Airliner Decals. Really love this new 3D look for realism.

A15_zpsxvwqz7lr.jpg

. . . . . and the 'with something else' shot - her stablemate, my other Zvezda Il-62. The Il-62s operated by Air India did not look exactly like this - but they should have.

A2_zpsfabwcgad.jpg

Thanks for taking a look,

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 29

A classic combination of livery and machine Mike. That cockpit decal looks seriously good, I have a 707 set and really must get around to trying them.

Your photo lab looks pretty good, much nicer scenery than mine!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Nice plane. Nice patio!

I especially like the Air India one. Is that a bit of whiffery?

I hear good words about Zvezda airliners and am tempted........

Trevor

• Like 1

Excellent build Mike.

I have a couple of these in the stash, but too many distractions and no patio to talk of.

Your build(s) could very well be the inspiration I need.

:thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

Cheers

mike

(P.S. Is that "boom" growing on your patio ? :pilot: )

• Like 1

I especially like the Air India one. Is that a bit of whiffery?

Sort of - Air India leased Il-62s from Aeroflot for their Delhi and Mumbai runs to Moscow, but they left the blue Aeroflot cheatlines on the plane, and put 'Air India' in red above that. As a national flag carrier, I had to correct that for them.

Yes, Zvezda 1/144 airliners are awesome - treat yourself.

• Like 1

1980, slap bang in my favourite period.

Really nice model, Mike! I noticed you've used the dropped flaps option, is this tricky on this kit?

Thanks for the heads up re the glue on the decals, I've got 3 or 4 of these LU Il-62 sheets so I'll proceed with caution!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Sadly, had to cut four booms ( trees ) down - were diseased, invading the plumbing or poisoning the dogs. Growing grapes as a summer ceiling to the patio.

P4_zpspbkw4b72.jpg

A Canadian friend suggested that with all the terra cotta tiles I had, yellow and blue would be perfect colours.

P5_zps8vyv0zbx.jpg

So I did that for a while, until I saw this show about orange being the new black, and quite fashionable, so I started adding that. Seemed like a good idea.

Wonder where I got that idea?

P1_zpsneznx2es.jpg

• Like 2

Lovely jet Mike, looks just right in that livery! Cracking job! Air India is nice too!

Ditto on the thanks for the heads up on the decal glue, I have the LU CSA sheet to stick (hopefully not immoveably!) on my Zvezda kit one day.

Keith

• Like 1

Great, as always! Always nice to switch up the views, I feel. Amazing job on the plane, Mike. It really is a great kit by Zvezda. I wouldn't mind getting a peek at those many, many models I see in the background... That would make my day!

All the best,

Drew

• Like 1

Excellent looking builds! Those aircraft must win the award for most cockpit windows! With all the really nice airline models on this site it is getting harder to resist building one. Your back patio looks really nice too! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Growing grapes as a summer ceiling to the patio.

A Canadian friend suggested that with all the terra cotta tiles I had, yellow and blue would be perfect colours.

Having visions of Bacchus plucking grapes out of the sky while he's photograping his latest builds. :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

....and with all due respect Mike, there's a border between the US and Canada for a reason.... :tomato:

• Like 2

A very smart looking aircraft beautifully finished. The cockpit decals look brilliant. That looks like quite a collection you have there and I'm rather envious of your displat cabinets, not to mention your patio.

• Like 1

Nice work Mike, I have the kit and the same decals (thanks for the heads up on the adhesion qualities!). :thumbsup:

Used to see these beasts visit us here in Canberra in the late 80s, could not get over how agricultural they were, oversized rivets and some interesting panel fixes with oversized screws/bolts and lots of washers! SO I may attempt to build one of those :D

• Like 1

1980, slap bang in my favourite period.

Really nice model, Mike! I noticed you've used the dropped flaps option, is this tricky on this kit?

Thanks for the heads up re the glue on the decals, I've got 3 or 4 of these LU Il-62 sheets so I'll proceed with caution!

Cheers,

Ian

I found these flaps much easier to deal with than the flaps and slats on Zvezda's A320. They are not really tricky ( apart from keeping track of which of the three versions one is building ) but, at least for me, I didn't realize just how much I relied on using the wings as a handle when building, gloss coating, and adding decals. With the flaps added, making the wings a lot more delicate, I had to reinvent how I did things.

Lovely jet Mike, looks just right in that livery! Cracking job! Air India is nice too!

Ditto on the thanks for the heads up on the decal glue, I have the LU CSA sheet to stick (hopefully not immoveably!) on my Zvezda kit one day.

Keith

Re the decal glue - I used the LU CSA sheet for the cheatline on the Air India plane. ( Perfect colour match with F-DCALs Air India 707 sheet that I butchered to finish this ) On that build, the LU main sheet was OK, but the separate smaller sheet with the cabin and cockpit windows just stuck like crazy. I went through three of them just to finish one plane ( The Authentic Airliner window purchase was actually necessitated by not have any windows left for Aeroflot ).

The Aeroflot decal sheet was just 'sticky' all around. I ended up soaking each piece for 30 seconds or so, then gently forced the decal to start sliding, breaking the adhesion, then dipping it back in the water, first one side then the other, letting decal float free, and rinse some of the glue away. Repeated this step three or four times.

....and with all due respect Mike, there's a border between the US and Canada for a reason.... :tomato:

:)

Southern California is always generally so bright and sunny, one feels one can get away with gaudy colours. Like all places, there are good and not so good things about Los Angeles, but one absolutely brilliant thing is that is has a South African climate, so am once again living outdoors, and leaving all the windows in the house open, pretty much all year. That is why that patio is so important to me - it is, in effect, my living room.

• Like 3

Great build, congratulations. Thanks for the heads up on how to treat heavy glue decals as well.

I was about to ask if that was southern California, looks nice!. Would you showing us your collection? It looks interesting even blurred in the pics, I couldn't stop noticing it.

• Like 1

Another masterpiece Mike. Absolutely stupendous!! :clap2:

That's strange about the decals - I recently used the Interflug sheet on an ICM kit and everything went completely normally. Mind you, nobody would know you'd had problems from the finished result.

• Like 1

Wow...what a wonderful IL-62.You really have done justice to this russian beauty,and the scenery is awesome as well.

I spotted quite a few models in the background,very interesting collection you've got there :gobsmacked::speak_cool: ...and the Air India IL-62 is spot on as well

• Like 1