Middle names on airline tickets.

old thumper

I have just received my etickets for my Thomson holiday flight from the U.K. to Gran Canaria, the accompanying conditions of which state that the name on my ticket must be exactly the same as the name on my passport. However I did not include my middle name as the Thompson online booking form only includes a field for first name rather than first names .

I am pretty sure that I have flown previously with only my first name showing on my ticket without any problem. In addition to this I have just googled for an answer to my question and now feel confident that the omission of middle names from a airline tickets is the norm. From what I have read airline online booking systems generally do not have the capacity to include more than two fields and do not allow spaces or punctuation between first and middle names or between double barrelled family names , so for example if your name is John Paul Smith and you were to include your middle name then your name would appear on your ticket as Johnpaul Smith. The only exception to this seems to be in Thailand and Vietnam where middle names are given a separate field and are required. I wish Thompson would clarify the need for middle names.

Has anyone else on Britmodeller had this problem?

Just flown to USA. Middle name is shown on passport, but was not shown on ticket, same for the wife. This has not been queried at all. And we have also just flown on an internal flight as well.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I use my middle name only. Never had problems in Australia, Thailand, Egypt USA......

I was refused a flight back in 1995. But ever sice... no problem. I never take a ticket to the airport. In 99% of times, the passport is enough. (Economy and Business). Just keep an online copy on your phone in case some clerk from the '80s wants to see it. I flew 80+/year for quite some time.

/Stefan

Oh damn. I was a bit late thrre. Nvm my stupidity

Edited by Blaubar
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

My brother and i ,went to America in August 2009 ,flew AA from Manchester 

The initials of his first and second name on his passport were in a different order on his ticket ,he is known by his 

middle name .

They didn't want to let him board at first ,lucky he has some bank cards that showed his initials in the same order 

as on his passport.

• Like 1