The Bus That Went To The Great War

That has to be one of the most incredible builds that I've ever seen !!! And I really mean it !!!. The subject choice is also really awesome !! Thanks sooooo much for posting this one. Bob H.

• Like 1

That has to be one of the most incredible builds that I've ever seen !!! And I really mean it !!!. The subject choice is also really awesome !! Thanks sooooo much for posting this one. Bob H.

Thanks Bob. For an old Airfix kit it lends itself well for upgrading but as you can see from the build thread I didn't use any aftermarket parts simply because there aren't any. So I had to get my thinking cap on to make my own which wasn't as bad as I thought plus it was a lot cheaper and best of all it was really satisfying. Its definitely not the best fitting kit and all the parts need tidying up but I would recommend the kit as it was a fun build. I didn't use the figures from the kit as I didn't think the quality was very good and I couldn't find any 1/32 figures from World War One. But now I am glad I didn't use any figures when I read the post from Rikstom which stops and makes you think a bit

"I find this quite moving actually, an old worn, empty buss with that graffiti. Makes me think about the guys who wrote it.."

Thanks Bob. For an old Airfix kit it lends itself well for upgrading but as you can see from the build thread I didn't use any aftermarket parts simply because there aren't any. So I had to get my thinking cap on to make my own which wasn't as bad as I thought plus it was a lot cheaper and best of all it was really satisfying. Its definitely not the best fitting kit and all the parts need tidying up but I would recommend the kit as it was a fun build. I didn't use the figures from the kit as I didn't think the quality was very good and I couldn't find any 1/32 figures from World War One. But now I am glad I didn't use any figures when I read the post from Rikstom which stops and makes you think a bit

"I find this quite moving actually, an old worn, empty buss with that graffiti. Makes me think about the guys who wrote it.."

Yes Sir.. Based on my limited knowledge of WWI the bus with the simple graffiti really does make you think about the guys who wrote it ... Bob H.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It me again I am afraid, thanks chaps for all the kind comments and I thought you might like to know that Airfix have done an article on their Work Bench Blog about the Bus and the 1/32 Crusader tank I did.

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/new-b-17g-artwork-takes-inspiration-from-the-past/

Thanks again for all the support you gave me during the builds, now I'm off to get a drink and to chill as everything is well with the world, for the time being anyway.

• Like 1

Thanks lads.

Excellent work done . I'm using your build for reference for my future WW1 bus.

Fred, good luck with yours. Here is a link to the London Transport Museum album on Flickr that has a load of photo's of a WW1 bus on tour that you might find useful.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ltmuseum/albums/72157634796129667

Also Fred if you have any questions just get in touch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks chaps.  Airfix did a piece about my bus when I posted the build.  I was lucky to meet the guy who writes their blog on the Airfix website two years ago at Duxford and he told me that their sales of the bus went up when their article was posted.