1/72 - Saab 37 Viggen by Special Hobby

172flogger

Ohhhhh noooooo, I'm not supposed to be buying any more kits.....!!!!

A couple more on top of all the other kits you've bought since announcing the above isn't going to make much difference now, is it? :whistle:

• Like 2

A couple more on top of all the other kits you've bought since announcing the above isn't going to make much difference now, is it? :whistle:

I don't need any encouragement from you, thank you very much...!! :bleh:

So, obviously there's a really good chance it will be based on the 1/48 kit. Hopefully they'll fix the various accuracy issues and don't just scale it down - I *really* hate the fact that the corrections for the 1/48 kit cost almost as much as the kit itself... *and* were released by the same guys who designed the kit in the first place. :(

Hope they fix the horrible shape issue of canard nosewing and intake airframe shape that thye got totally wrong on the 1/48 kit.

First I've heard of it, what's wrong with the intake airframe shape?

I'm building a 1/48 right now and trying to correct the most obvious faults.

Hope they fix the horrible shape issue of canard nosewing and intake airframe shape that thye got totally wrong on the 1/48 kit.

I'm with flarpen. Please illustrate so that each members can decide if the issues are important to them or not.

Great news! Canards are easy to fix in 1/48, even easier in 1/72. And I am happy to do that if I have to, a new Viggen in 1/72 almost 40 years after Heller's release is really fantastic!

And I would not call the shape of the canards (or more correct: the elevons on the canards) on SH Viggen 1/48 horrible. Yes, they are not correct, but "horrible" is a bit too strong in my opinion.

Regarding the intake airframe shape, at least I cannot say where there is a problem. Perhaps someone else can? Compare this...

ja37_f4-35.jpg

...to:

comp_Viggen-4.jpg

At least to me, there are no major issues here.

• Like 5

To my eyes the curve of the top of the intake blending into the top of splitter plate is flatter on the model and appears to make it look more pronounced and the splitter plate look longer. BUT....that could well be because the photos of the model & real one are at slightly different angles & more than likely were taken with different focal length lenses which will introduce different 'distortions'. And to me is why I find comments that model shapes are totally wrong can sometimes be very misleading!

Anyway, doesn't matter to me if the 72nd one is 'correct' or not as I will not be buying any. Yeh right....!! :whistle::D

Keith

• Haha 1

From the pic it looks like the intakes are not round enough at the top, there seems to be a kind of pinch at the top. Not a deal breaker AFAIC and the canards will be a fairly easy fix.

As Bjorn says, it'll be a damn sight better than the alternatives on the market.