Fairey Firefly FR1, 1770 Sq FAA spring '45, Frog/Novo 1/72

Hi,

Another archive model - from a deep past. Fairey Firefly FR I in markings of 1770 Sq FAA based on HMS Indefatigable, Pacific fleet, spring 1945. I made it i 1993, so many years before much nicer SH kit appeared. As usually I was trying to do small improvment to the kit. Some are perhaps still visible. Now - before posting I had to change roundels and lettering - the original were bad quality did not stand time. The present are taken from Techmod sets (for FAA Wildat and a white lettering).

Comments welcome and regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

firefly DSC01877firefly DSC01875firefly DSC01874firefly DSC01873

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 19

Hi Jerzy!

Nice Firefly you have there! I remember having nearly bought the Airfix kit when it was re-released to build a machine from the Korean War.

Have a nice weekend

Mario

• Like 2

A favourite kit of mine.Got one many,many years ago,indeed, amongst the first kits I ever got.Built one not so long ago,and have a couple in the stash.Yours is excellent,and like most of the older kits they can turn out very well with a bit of attention.Well done on yours.

• Like 2

Wonderful !!!

I really do like those old ,or"vintage" models.

I have built so many when I was a child, or a youngster.

This was in the sixties and the early seventies.

I like your work very much.

• Like 3

Well done - these new decals are much better :) How young we were those days...

BTW these were the last days when Pacific Fleet machines featured fin flashes and bar-less roundels in six positions like the British Eastern Fleet.

In few weeks new BPF roundels with bars (only in four positions, like the US ones) were introduced, the lettering was changed to just three digits and the fin flash was overpainted - the a/c individual letter was there (in white).

There's a model of Firefly from HMS Implacable, BPF in summer of 1945

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47751/thread/1343796200/Fairey+Firefly+FR1

Cheers

Michael

• Like 3

Hi Jerzy!!!

I have been looking your nice build and realyy have enjoyed how a simple and maybe outdated model can be taken and extracted from her the deepest of the beter essence she has and got in the end with a nice and fine model.

This one is a kit I always have been looking when visited a friend of mine who have bought the Old Frog and Airfix variants and was always discusing the form, shape and nice looking appeal of both variants. After a long time I got in a Supermarket trip the AIrfix reedition just with nice decals for Korean war and bought also an Australian book dealing with the Aircraft carriers and aircraft they have had and it involvement in Korea and went back to buy two more....then years after, in a "non buying purpose" visit to the local Hobby Shop found in first instance the "new" Modelcraft rendition of the olf Frog/Novo kit and after that, a friend was selling some rhings from his stash and personal library and have found an Old Scale Models which depicted both variants and some corrections that have to be made to the models...and also showsome two place ones!!! "Nice project" I thought!!!

I have seen that even though with newcomers dealing with nice new models for sure those oldies are not scheduled to fall aside. >Maybe one not very distant day start and finish one...

Thank you very much for sharing,

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

Edited by Luis Alfonso
  • Like 2

Many thanks Gents for comments :)

I liked old Frogs. During 1990-ties I did one by one series of old Frogs/Novo - Swordfish, Barracuda, Bearcat, Fokker F VII, Hotspur, Beaufort, Beaufighter MK X and Beau converted to Mk II, Miles Magister, Master (reshaped), Martinett (converted from Master), Proctor etc. All of above I posted alredy, only Vengence (reshaped accordinly to drawings) left - it needs some repair.

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 2

Indeed,the old Frog kits and their Novo progeny are always worth having in stock. Currently have a Miles Magister and Master on the workbench.Along with a some plastic card,filler and a bit of patience you get a good build.Next up in the Frog/Novo series will be the DH Gypsy Moth.

Edited by glatisant
  • Like 2

Very nicely done! As others have said, it's a simple build and is a solid basis for an interesting model.

I have a Novo one to do 'sometime'. The transparencies though have put me off.

Must dust if off and have a go.

Trevor

• Like 2

Many thanks Gents for comments and likes:)

In my list of Frogs of these yeare I forgot about Blackburn Shark (thanks Chris fro recalling!) - I converted mine to Bristol engine one with closed canopy...

Cheers

J-W