USS Albacore - 1/350 resin kit from Blue Ridge Models

I've just taken delivery of this resin kit by Blue Ridge Models - via Freetime Hobbies.

I must say I'm happy with the service from Freetime - and very impressed by the quality of the kit, it's packaging and presentation.

I'm less impressed with Royal Mail / UK Customs - for slapping on a whopping VAT charge on top of the already expensive kit plus postage. :analintruder:

Anyway - on with the photos......

350_USS%20Albacore%20AGSS-569_01.jpg

The artwork on the front of the strong carboard box.

350_USS%20Albacore%20AGSS-569_02.jpg

Rear artwork....

350_USS%20Albacore%20AGSS-569_03.jpg

Impressive packaging - everything protected in foam - and well printed coloured instructions.

350_USS%20Albacore%20AGSS-569_04.jpg

The parts appear to be bubble free, are superbly cast - and the kit includes etched brass and decals.

My bank balance has taken a bit of a hit (kit + Postage + VAT) - but there is a silver lining - the foam parts will come in handy - and I get a free copy of the newspaper used in the packing...... :thumbsup:

I'll get started as soon as I come back from my Danube River Cruise....

Ken

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've made a start... after washing the parts in warm soapy water to remove some sticky residue and cleaning up the mould seam on the port side - the sail and four cruciform rear diving planes are attached...

350_USS%20Albacore%20AGSS-569_05.jpg

It really is that simple - all it needs now is a coat of primer - followed by the final all-black finish....

350_USS%20Albacore%20AGSS-569_06.jpg

Then the etched-brass contraprops and masts - plus the decals and she's done.

It really is a superb model - exquisite casting, parts that fit precisely and excellent instructions - well worth the price.

Ken

Edited by Flankerman
  • Like 1

I've gone with the final Phase IVb configuration as being the most interesting.

This is the one area of the build I'v had the most trouble with - the dies to bend the props are a great idea - but the etched brass is very delicate.

The web attaching the prop blade to the central ring is very week and the blade is not 'rigid' - especially when bent to shape.

The holes in the central brass ring appears to be too small to go over the resin conical hubs - I've got them all on, but I'm not sure its right - and I daren't touch them in case the blades snap off.

Pics to follow...

Ken

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...