DH 106 Comet 4c in flight - 1:144 Airfix with 26 Decals (Updated pictures)

De Havilland Comet 4c - 1:144 Airfix (Updated pictures)
Dan Air - 26 decals

comet18.jpg

[Edit] New pictures as I had forgotten a few final details on the model. Added this morning are nav lights, aerials, aerial line from fin tip, taiplane black tips, and some panel lining/weathering. [/edit]

The Comet is one of the most beautiful airliners ever. In the 4c version with extended wings and pinion tanks it looked at its very best. To further emphasise its beauty and pure shape I wanted to model it in flight without the clutter of undercarriage.

The idea of doing a 4c was inspired by Phil 'Vulcanicity's lovely model in BOAC colours. Phil used 1:72 drop tanks from the Airfix Vampire for the pinion tanks, so I nicked his idea! It's appropriate too, from one DH aircraft to another!

Decals are from Two-six, and as usual are top quality, settling down beautifully. I used the cockpit decal here, although I normally prefer to kit the kits clear glazing, but there was no hope with the tiny, ill fitting part supplied with this old kit.

comet16.jpg

comet20.jpg

comet21.jpg

comet17.jpg

comet19.jpg

I used one from my stash, remember this bit of nostalgia from the 1980's?

box.jpg

The decals were yellowed and curled though, so I'm glad that Ray at two-six sells a far superior set for the 4b and 4c.

decals1.jpg

This is the major part of the conversion. Extended wing tips, and slots cut for the pinion tanks which were also shortened by cutting a section from the middle. Starboard side mostly complete, port side in rough format.

comet1a.jpg

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 41

Hello,John - Your usual standard of excellence.A beautifully built,finished and displayed tribute to a beautiful aircraft.It reminds me of the days when Travel Agents had display models in their windows.Exquisite. ;) All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

Absolutely lovely model. Agree wholeheartedly with the beauty of the Comet. That's a nifty conversion you've shown, I will borrow that for a future build. The great Dan-Air colours reminds me of the employees of Grace Brothers off to Costa Plonka...

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 2

John, this is lovely! I've never thought of displaying any of my models in-flight, I don't know why, but yours has made me think again.

I remember there was a Dan-Air Comet at Blackbushe when I was a kid, I've always meant to add one to my collection.

I don't remember seeing any Dan-Air aircraft as clean as yours though, how about some weathering and aerials to really bring it to life!!

When are we going to get a decent 4C kit without having to buy a Vampire too?

Ian

Edited by Turbofan
  • Like 1

Beautiful as always John. I've never been a great fan of models on stands but this makes me think again! Thanks for the very useful information about the 4c conversion.

• Like 1

Thank you guys.

John, this is lovely! I've never thought of displaying any of my models in-flight, I don't know why, but yours has made me think again.
I remember there was a Dan-Air Comet at Blackbushe when I was a kid, I've always meant to add one to my collection.
I don't remember seeing any Dan-Air aircraft as clean as yours though, how about some weathering and aerials to really bring it to life!!
When are we going to get a decent 4C kit without having to buy a Vampire too?
Ian

I remember seeing it a Blackbushe too Ian. I'm pretty sure it was G=BDIT which is the reg I put on the model.

I may do a bit of weathering, and you've reminded me that I've forgotten the aerials (and the nav lights....again!).

It's been sitting around for weeks in this stage of completion, and it was sunny this morning so I thought I'd shoot a few pics, forgetting I still had that last hour of work to finish it off!.

Cheers

John

What a magnificent piece of modelling! Can't really tell if it is a model, or a piece of art for an office.

Funny, I was just meandering through the stash, pondering my next build, and was thinking of a Comet, and now it is decided - so thank you. ( not expecting anything near this standard of course. I am a realist )

Mike

• Like 1

Are you from down Blackbushe way, John? I come from Camberley/Sandhurst area. Now living in Manchester though!

Yes G-BDIT, I didn't see the reg when I first looked as I'm viewing on my tablet.

I often dash out to photograph a model because it's sunny only to realise I've forgotten something. In fact if you're observant you'll notice a couple of details I've forgotten on my recent BA Cargo 707.

Ian

Thats really nice and took me down memory lane.....I recall Dan Dare Comets operating through Luton when I worked for Court Line.

Think they were the earlier version though, - memory aint what it was! Mainly remember how graceful the Comet looked coming and going compared to our One Elevens and Britannias 'sausage bombers'.

• Like 1