Academy 1/350 H.M.S. Warspite 1943

I remeber this stage with my boot line, I had to do mine with small runs of tape due to the Torpedo bulge and all the bilge pumps, I extended the line further up as my Warspite is being built to disp[lay her at Dunkirk in June 1944, she was sitting lower in the water - possibly more weight? so they made her boot line wider from 6ft to near 10ft wide.

WM.

I wondered what those annoying protrusions were for... the small square ones.. I knew what the torpedo bulges were.. :)

Great stuff so far Warren will be keeping a eye on this to get some tips from your build for when I get round to mine :book:

Beefy

Welcome aboard Beefy. :)

• Like 1

I wondered what those annoying protrusions were for... the small square ones.. I knew what the torpedo bulges were.. :)

Welcome aboard Beefy. :)

That square one that goes up the center near the 4inch gun shrouds, talk about a pain trying to put a hole in the end of it where water would drain from :banghead:

WM.

Hello again.

I will cross that bridge when I come to it WM. :)

Masking tape removed from boot top and it looks fine to me.. well it will after a few little touchups..

flower%20g1_6.jpg

Then I thought I would give one of the metal 20mm cannons a go. It is a little confusing with some of the bending but we shall see. Here is a picture of the flat chassis still on the fret and a bent one..

flower%20g2_6.jpg

flower%20g3_6.jpg

Then I placed the brass barrel in position and bent the gun shield support..

flower%20g4_5.jpg

Then I glued the support to the shield..

flower%20g5_4.jpg

And painted the brass pedestal..

flower%20g6_3.jpg

The reason I am trying one of the metal ones is that the actual plastic kit ones are pretty damn good and would take a fraction of the time the metal ones will take. You could always glue the metal shield to the plastic gun if you thought the plastic shields were too thick. Here are the plastic ones on the runner..

flower%20g7_3.jpg

Decisions decisions..

Cheers for now
Warren

• Like 4

Hello again.

I will cross that bridge when I come to it WM. :)

Masking tape removed from boot top and it looks fine to me.. well it will after a few little touchups..

flower%20g1_6.jpg

Then I thought I would give one of the metal 20mm cannons a go. It is a little confusing with some of the bending but we shall see. Here is a picture of the flat chassis still on the fret and a bent one..

flower%20g2_6.jpg

flower%20g3_6.jpg

Then I placed the brass barrel in position and bent the gun shield support..

flower%20g4_5.jpg

Then I glued the support to the shield..

flower%20g5_4.jpg

And painted the brass pedestal..

flower%20g6_3.jpg

The reason I am trying one of the metal ones is that the actual plastic kit ones are pretty damn good and would take a fraction of the time the metal ones will take. You could always glue the metal shield to the plastic gun if you thought the plastic shields were too thick. Here are the plastic ones on the runner..

flower%20g7_3.jpg

Decisions decisions..

Cheers for now

Warren

Looking really nice - can I ask you please, with the two tone camo on the hull sides, where you used masking tape how come you got a smooth join between the two colours? i masked up mine with same blue low tack tape and hand brush painted as i do not posess a sprayer, any tips please on getting a smooth edge by brush painting, and what I can do with the slight ridge left from the paint build up on mine.

Thanks in advance.

WM.

Edited by Warspite Man

Hi Warren, if I may offer a constructive criticism which will be fixable, you have twisted the wrong part of the Oerlikon breach etching. You have obviously seen the part in the Pontos instructions indicating the twist, but it's only the circular sight that should be twisted 90deg on the sight mount. The two matching circular bits sticking up are to be bent round 90deg to represent the ammunition drum of the Oerlikon cannon. On the other side, the bit sticking up with a pin at the butt end and a circle at the muzzle end represents the whole gunsight. The pin is the foresight closest to the gunner's eye and the circle is the far sight.

20150131_163126_zpscakmafau.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, but I hadn't finished the folding yet. :)

Thanks for taking the time to comment though.

And yes Thom I am thinking the same. My 54 year old eyes aren't as good as they used to be .. But I will push through. :)

Cheers

Warren

• Like 1

Howdy folks.

Another quick update. I have started work on the turrets with a couple of replacement ladders..

flower%20g12_2.jpg

flower%20g13_2.jpg

And my reference work for this build arrived..

flower%20g1_7.jpg

Well apart from the internet anyway.

Then I have started working from the bow with all the little fiddly bits like hose reels..

flower%20g15_1.jpg

And lots of little vents that all need painting..

flower%20g16.jpg

I got the turrets and barrels painted this afternoon after applying some more photo-etch. Have to paint the blast bags and the tops of the light grey turrets and I can finish them off.

That's all for now.
Warren

• Like 3

Thanks KP.

Now the Snowberry is finished for the moment I am devoting all my efforts to the Warspite.

Cheers

Warren

Howdy folks.

Another quick update. I have started work on the turrets with a couple of replacement ladders..

flower%20g12_2.jpg

flower%20g13_2.jpg

And my reference work for this build arrived..

flower%20g1_7.jpg

Well apart from the internet anyway.

Then I have started working from the bow with all the little fiddly bits like hose reels..

flower%20g15_1.jpg

And lots of little vents that all need painting..

flower%20g16.jpg

I got the turrets and barrels painted this afternoon after applying some more photo-etch. Have to paint the blast bags and the tops of the light grey turrets and I can finish them off.

That's all for now.

Warren

Warren, why didn't you paint them before you stuck the decks on :evil_laugh:

On the forum where my build is there was a link to a chap who has been restoring the original and One Off Ship writes model of HMS Warspite, its a mammoth build some 18ft long I think, I have some great photos off the restoration - They are Amazing just like the real ship all metal and wood.

I am sure the chap restoring her wont mind me putting a few on here if its allowed by the mods?

Let me know.

WM.

• Like 1

Hi Nick.

Good question. I have built a number of Trumpeter ships and the Academy amd Trumpeter models are pretty much alike, but Trumpeter tends to have a little more detail like railings etc included nowadays. Fit of both is good. The Warspite's deck fitted extremely well with this kit which is normally a good indication of the fit of the whole kit.

Cheers

Warren

• Like 2

Hi Nick.

Good question. I have built a number of Trumpeter ships and the Academy amd Trumpeter models are pretty much alike, but Trumpeter tends to have a little more detail like railings etc included nowadays. Fit of both is good. The Warspite's deck fitted extremely well with this kit which is normally a good indication of the fit of the whole kit.

Cheers

Warren

Thanks Warren, I may have to try one, always get after market sets as well so that's not too much of an issue.

Cheers

Nick

Time for another quick update!

Still going on the Oerlikons. After bending the base for the barrels they were glued in place..

flower%20g5_6.jpg

Then after you do 29 of them..

flower%20g4_7.jpg

You end up with a tray full. Then you start to bend up the shield mounts..

flower%20g6_5.jpg

Then you attach the shields..

flower%20g8_4.jpg

and after 29 of them..

flower%20g9_4.jpg

you get a tray full waiting for the next step. I also finished the twin 4 in mounts..

flower%20g7_5.jpg

And that's where I am up to.

Cheers
Warren

• Like 3

Good lord sir! You don't hang around!! I've barely drawn breath after amazing over your Corvette and you're bending 30 or so tiny cannons!! 😨

You're a glutton for (PE) punishment!

Great work though 😉

OK, time for another update at 3 am in the morning. I got woken up by my shoulder which is having scans this week to find out what is wrong. Old injury from my air force days I think.. or I have another ulcer which refers pain to the back.. who knows. Getting older is not good. :)

But back to the model, first up, more progress on the bridge superstructure..

flower%20g2_9.jpg

Should have it painted this morning. Then we have the radar units that sit on the roof..

flower%20g1_10.jpg

The PE went together pretty easily but the reference drawings I used in that Super Drawings book are no where near as detailed as the ones you get in AOTS or Kagero 3D books. But some things still helpful. Then we have the Oerlikons..

flower%20g3_9.jpg

flower%20g4_8.jpg

I have a tale of woe with them as well.. one of the monting parts, the shield and gun mount, went missing. I saw it drop off the pedestal, I heard it drop off the pedestal but do you think I could find it?? Nope, it has disappeared into the never-never. So I am going to have to use one of the kit ones. I have the barrel assembly and pedestal but that is it. :( Oh, and gluing them to that foam sheet using PVA wasn't such a ggod thing as when I removed them some of the foam stuck to each pedestal. Had to remove it and the glue with a knife and inevitably some of the carriages got knocked off the pedestals and had to be re-attached. Oh well....

Lastly these a two off the resin searchlights which fit together so well you could just snap them into place BUT I am sure they would part company with each other at some in-opportune time so they are glued. The carpet, or in this case wooden floor, monster is always hungry... :shutup:

Cheers
Warren

• Like 4