What have I done here? Help and advice please!

Alan P

Hi folks,

I don't know about anyone else, but one of the things I really LOVE about modelling is putting hours and hours into making a project look the best it can be, then finding new and creative ways to ruin it in seconds.

I've been preparing Monogram's gigantic 1/48 B-29 for a high gloss Alclad base. Here was the plan:

1. Alclad Grey primer
  2. base spray coat of Halfords Satin Black
  3. coat of Alclad Honey Primer or Klear
  4. Gloss acrylic black
  5. finish coat of Klear
  6. Alclad high gloss paint finish.

I've used this technique for all my previous high gloss finishes which have been spectacularly successful up to now:

1-21.jpg

Alan_Puruaram_Shooting_Star_1.JPG

db_F-100-21.jpg

IMAG0183.jpg

BUT this time: Step one went well...

tn_DSCN5175.jpg

Step 2 went patchy:

tn_DSCN5178.jpg

Some of the Halfords sprayed areas went like this:

tn_DSCN5177.jpg

I've tried sanding back and respraying - same result, but only on those patches. I continued the full treatment steps 4-6 above, and the texture still shows through, ven though under the light it is completely smooth. I even polished the entire model with compound and applied the Klear coat, it still looks rough.

I don't know what Alclad will look like over that surface. Anyone got any idea what I've done or not done, and why it won't go away?

Cheers, Al.

Edited by Alan P

Al, I would suggest a test spraying of the good area and the bad, see what it looks like , before you waste too much paint, and time.

BTW , I usually just use Alcad Gloss Black base for the Alcad Lacquers and have no problem.

Simon.

• Like 1

That is the kind of pattern you might expect when you get a reaction between paint types or grease. Have Halfords changed their formula for the black perhaps?

I think I'd be stripping that back to plastic and starting again.

Duncan B

• Like 1

I think I'd be stripping that back to plastic and starting again.

Duncan B

No way. I'd rather foil it than do that.

I'll try the advice from Spooky first. The reason I do what I do is because the only time I ever used Alclad black base it never dried and ended up worse than this.

If it fails with paint, I'm foiling!

Thanks for the advice, hopefully I'll prep better next time.

Al

• Like 1

I think you're using too many different base coats. Each one just increases the possibility of something going wrong. Try using just a minimum number of base coats before applying the Alclad, say just primer and acrylic black.

• Like 1

No way. I'd rather foil it than do that.

I'll try the advice from Spooky first. The reason I do what I do is because the only time I ever used Alclad black base it never dried and ended up worse than this.

If it fails with paint, I'm foiling!

Thanks for the advice, hopefully I'll prep better next time.

Al

Good luck with whichever way you decide to go, your previous NMF's are quite spectacular and a foiled B29 would look equally so.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Thanks Duncan :) I've had a go with Alclad this morning, and it doesn't look too bad. I shall persevere!

I wasn't trying to shut you down before, it's just the last model I tried to strip and repaint got completely ruined and I had to throw it away (1/32 Su-27, not cheap!) I still consider that a nuclear option and will avoid it as far as I can!

Your Javelin was mentioned in the build thread, what paint did you use for that?

• Like 1

I used the fairly new AK Interactive Extreme Metals. I found it to be much easier to use than Alclad which I've never really got on with.

I know what you mean about striping paint from a model, I've only tried it once and that model is still sitting in a box somewhere with bits of paint and primer still stuck in the nooks and crannies and all the paint removed from inside the cockpit under the canopy.

Duncan B

• 2 weeks later...