HAWKER P.1127 - An AIRFIX 1/72 kit.

After a week spent for searching & watching the most pics[/size]

I got from the Web about this machine...now I am starting [/size]

the building of my new project:[/size]

The first P.1127 prototype XP831, by AIRFIX.[/size]

Very complicated task, ‘cause the kit “LOOKS LIKE” a Short Run,

but it’s just an early sixties kit....[/size]

Yep.It has nothing for interiors, for the cockpit [ it's just a poor seat ][/size]

undergear and power supply turbine wells,[/size]

and crude gear and wheels. Thus,[/size]

in a moment of madness..I've decided to go for an all[/size]

out effort on this ancient [AIRFIX released it in 1963] [/size]

Hawker P.1127, 1/72 scale kit. [/size]

Legend tells of rivets like barnacles, whimsical details [/size]

and parts that lightly caress each other, rather [/size]

than fitting like gloves. ))[/size]

I shall fear nought though, for my arms to slay this beast [/size]

will be plasticard, Milliputt, plastic rod and strut together... [/size]

..with the shield of beer drinks cans. [/size]

Ref. Links: [/size]

primeportal.net/hangar/mark_hayward/p.1127/

harrier.org.uk/history/history_farley.htm

prototypes.free.fr/p1127/p1127-6.htm

Hawker P.1127 | Hyperscale

Youtube Video

designer.home.xs4all.nl/models/harrier-p1127/p1127.htm

Edited by ianpolinar

Hi Ian,

Where do you host your pictures? IIn Photobucket, there's a series of links to each picture for varous purposes. You want the "direct" link, which will copy to the clipboard when you click it. Then in your Britmodeller thread, click on the "Image" button in the 2nd row of the toolbar and paste the link. The principle is the same regardless of where you host your pictures; BM needs a link to the image and it will include it in your post.

Incidentally, the Airfix kit is not short run - it's just ancient. There have been various re-issues over the years and I understand the general advice is the older ones will have been made when the moulds were in a better state. But those often fetch silly money (I think there must be an art gallery somewhere with a collection of mint unopened kits where people with a better fashion sense than me go to gawp at their apparent beauty. Bah!) so I'm sure your filler-embracing approach will see you right. Hope that helps as, having just bagged one on ebay, I'm looking forward to learning from yours!!

Do you have a particular airframe in mind? I'm thinking of doing the 1st untethered hover.

You may also find this link useful. The Greenallmeister has done the odd masterclass model too iirc. The ridiculously high quality may serve as a disincentive but I'll dig out a link if you're interested.

Kirk

Edit: Re-read your post and see you've said a serial: Think you may mean XP831 rather than XP381. :) Good choice.

Edited by Kirk

Hi mate Kirk and thanks so much for yours helping me))

The pictorial Album i posted with “in progress story” about my work, it’s hosted on Scalemate.com

Now i would try to follow your advices for offering to BM members my Album [in question]

Hope you could finally watch my pictures with that ancient Airfix kit.

Cross your fingers for me! :DLOL

That looks great, a vast improvement over the kit as it stood. I recall making this many years ago & yours looks like what I wanted mine to look like but never came near to. :(

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

Wow - that went together pretty fast Livio! I didn't realise from your 1st post that you had already finished it.

I like the addition of the Ram Air Turbine & am planning to do this on mine.

Also like the inflatable intakes but as I want to depict mine during the initial hover trials, so I'm going to have to make up something to look like the bulbous metal intakes. A bit ugly but realistic.

What did you use for your seat in the end? As far as I can establish, no-one makes a Mk.4H but I assume the standard Mk.4 is very similar.

I see that you added much needed depth to the wheel wells. Was there a reason for not going to the full depth on the front? Does the cockpit floor get in the way?

Nice wheels. Your own?

Finally, it looks like you increased the anhedral angle on the main wing. How far out was it?

Cheers,

Kirk

Thanks Kirk for yours inquiring about my built. )

Indeed my kit i finished some months ago, and i posted here the dedicated Album,

thanks to your help!

Wish to reply every questions you wrote me:

a) The MB seat is hand-made from spares/scratch.If you own a standard

Mk.4 the work will be surely easier and faster.))

B) the nose wheel well is less deep than the principal one, in the real machine

and it has at the top the cockpit floor. Not entirely, but the most.

For this physical reason, i made a well for nose wheel as well as i did.

[ as you can watch in the “Walking around” pics, whose Link i added in Album’s introducing list]

c) The wheels are from my spares box. I do not remember which were the kits from.

Sorry..

but they are right in shape/scale thnx to 1/72 scale plan drawings i own.

d) Yep. The anhedral angle on wings is increased a lot respect to the Airfix kit

as i found comparing the kit with my scale plan drawings.

Hope to have been exhaustive towards your enquire. And forgive my horrible English...

Cheers.

Livio from Italy

Edited by ianpolinar