X-34 Landspeeder

Revell 1/14 (approx)

26834342470_dd1a607c43_b.jpg

OK, well, I'm just going to post this for now, but it will only be done in dribs and drabs as, of course, I've got an X-Wing, amongst other things, to finish.

It's one of Revell's, shall we say, 'lesser quality' Star Wars releases but, if you look beyond the pre-painting of the parts, and the snap-fix nature (far removed from Bandai's idea of snap-fix), it's a reasonable kit

27108717085_e5050eda31_b.jpg

Some of that masterful pre-painting, clearly done by a student of Da Vinci, if not by the artisan himself. Only the very best are permitted to work in Revell's paint department

27040181671_92cdb0ceae_b.jpg

26834330010_34bc2e807f_b.jpg

And then we have these two specimens. The box doesn't state a scale, but the speeder come out at roughly 1/14. This pair though are more in the 1/25-1/26 area. Needless to say, I won't be using them

27040176161_c00bbbc130_b.jpg

that won't be a problem though, as I'm not intending to do this as Luke's speeder. That will also give me some licence to change things, add a few details, and generally hack it about.

I've no real idea what I'm going to do with it yet. It'll just evolve as I'm doing it.

I'll be swinging back over to the X-Wing now but, just to show that I have actually done something other than take photos of the parts, I've started on a few mods to the cockpit.

The cutouts for the footwell are a little on the small side. Not a problem for Pinky and Perky there, as their feet don't even reach the footwells but, for 1/14 scale, they needed to be opened up

26504711693_eeb07bdcde_b.jpg

The plastic's a bit on the hard and brittle side, and also very thick, so not that easy to cut large sections out. It does at least look like you'd be able to get your legs in there now

26834323430_41963f74bc_b.jpg

Opening this section up also meant removing the two mounting posts for the dashboard coaming. These were ground away with a dremmel, and I'll plate over the floor to hide the scars.

Oh, and the chunk missing from the transmission tunnel is a dent from a careless owner OK! Not, and I want to make this very clear, not a scar from the dremmel chuck. I'm a craftsman you know, I don't do things like that :whistle:

27108701425_623583deb2_b.jpg

I've also cut away the rear panel behind the seats, which I'll make into a boot/storage compartment. The cutout will be neatened off with a plasticard border, then a semi-circle added for the lid. This will be open on the finished model, and I'll make a box section to go under the rear deck to form the compartment itself

27014211602_cc9d879e38_b.jpg

26502884674_19866de09a_b.jpg

Right, that's it for now. It's all going back in the box until I get the X-Wing finished!

Andy

• Like 8

Interestingly, when they filmed the sequence in the movie, the 'hovering' effect was done by simply hanging a mirror underneath the speeder so that more sand etc was reflected and the wheels didn't show.

Very simple, but it worked.

I've not seen this kit before. It will be great to see how it turns out.

Roy.

• Like 1

I built this back a few years ago when I came back to the hobby… picked it up cheap and liked it as it's a bit different for a Star Wars model.

Seen some builds of this using electromagnets for a real hovering speeder.

I've been thinking of digging it out of the loft for a bit of a face lift with some of the techniques I've picked up in the last couple of years.

• Like 1

Thanks guys

Always fancied doing a 50`s hotrod paint job on one of these.

Yes, there was definitely a bit of an American Graffiti influence in the design. At the moment I'm leaning towards a pale turquoise scheme, probably with pin stripes.

Seen some builds of this using electromagnets for a real hovering speeder.

It would be cool to do it with a hovering effect. I'm intending to place it on a scenic base, so I'll probably just mount it on a clear acrylic rod, just to lift it off the ground slightly

Andy

• Like 1

I built this from the box last year and is currently sat gathering cobwebs in my shed. After seeing this, I may be tempted to tear it down and go custom! Nice work!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, AndyRM101 said:

No, in fact I was looking at it a couple of weeks ago. When I've cleared the backlog of other projects I'll get back on it.

Andy:cat:

that's good news Andy as it looks pretty cool to me and knowing your talents, I'm sure you'll turn it out in true ILM standards of excellence