lets hope it's good

It will be screened on Netflix, not on any free-to-view service. :fuyou_2:

Suggest it as a birthday/Christmas pressie. Netflix comes as one of the choices.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KAKUN3E?tag=mh0a9-21&hvadid=8858492349&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=m&ref=pd_sl_6yg2flfvaq_e

Thanks to this little doofrie, I am now waiting for the next seasons of House of Cards, Man in the High Castle and Turn :)

Trevor goggleyes

Seems odd to use a slightly revised old Ralph McQuarrie design that was rejected for Phase 2 and The Motionless Picture. Discovery for the name of the ship sounds like a lot of exploring planets and very little combat, should call it USS Intrepid, Hornet, Wasp or Wolverine, something like that.

Paul Harrison

I'd much rather see an action filled realistically violent program based on the adventures of the Klingon or Romulan starfleets featuring loads of space and ground based combat,ruthless conquest and none of the moralising harmless self righteous tosh which has been the majority content of this sad show over the previous 4 or 5 decades, what a waste.

Seems odd to use a slightly revised old Ralph McQuarrie design that was rejected for Phase 2 and The Motionless Picture. Discovery for the name of the ship sounds like a lot of exploring planets and very little combat, should call it USS Intrepid, Hornet, Wasp or Wolverine, something like that.

Paul Harrison

The captain is called Danny Darwin junior

Checking back on those Ralph McQuarrie doodles I note that an asteroid space dock also featured, and it looks incredibly similar to that shown in this trailer. Couple that with the frankly poor CGI and I'm just wondering if somebody is having us all on. The other thing of note is that the new series will seemingly have the abbrieviation ST:D, which is rather unfortunate to say the least.

• Like 2

I really don't like that ship; the entire engineering hull and nacelles look terrible in my opinion. Hopefully it is as much of a work in progress as the CGI was and the design has yet to be finalised.

Ross.

• 2 weeks later...

I love Star Trek, mostly TNG and DS9, TOS and Voyager never really appealed to me, TOS movies after TMP were good though (except IV and V), and whilst Enterprise showed promise it never really delivered. I've recently been enjoying the re-runs of DS9 and TNG (they seem to alternate the two) on CBS Action on Freeview though.

I have hopes for this series and was excited to hear there is a new Star Trek TV series, but I now fear there will be a lot of box ticking (like most TV and films these days) and it will go the way of Voyager. Apparently the producers are keen on minority, female, and LBGTQ main characters, with the latter being important. Personally I'd prefer a Star Trek where such issues are irrelevant, even if it is a "big thing" (which it shouldn't be) in current real world morality/political discussions amongst those who have an agenda.

I also agree about the choice of ship - why not just make a totally new one as they did with TNG (Galaxy class) and Voyager (Intrepid class) and The Defiant in DS9, it'd fit more than the modified Ralph McQuarrie Phase II concept they have chosen!

At least the producers have told JJ Abrams to do one and won't be setting the new series in the rehash universe.

I think I'll end up giving this one a miss however, because I was going to sign up for CBS All Access, CBS's online on-demand service, just for this. It only costs $5.99 a month, and you get access to all their older series as well as new ones. But it's only available in the US, Canadia and Oz!!! How short sighted can you get!!! WWE Network is available in the UK, why not CBS's?!! Certainly won't be signing up for netflix.

Edited by Raven Morpheus

• 2 weeks later...

A few more snippets of information have been released:

Set around ten years before the original series, so basically TOS era.

The lead role will be the ship's lieutenant-commander (could the captain be an antagonist, or merely a shift of perspective?), also she will be a human.

The design of the ship will be "tweaked". I was hoping that it would be completely overhauled but we'll wait and see what they finally put out.

Ross.

Edited by Ravens

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37043956

Woman, not white for the sake of diversity! Why not make her gay and put her in a wheel chair to tick another couple of boxes...

I really do feel that the more I read about this new Star Trek, and especially now that a woman main lead has been announced, that this new series is just Fuller and co. rebooting Voyager!

A real shame. But I guess it was to be expected - I'm obviously a dinosaur who loves the way TV was made in the late 80's to mid/late 90's.

Edited by Raven Morpheus

Actually, as in the episode 'Turnabout Intruder' it is mentioned that Starfleet did not accept women as starship captains at the time of the original series (well, it was the 1960s), it could make an interesting dynamic. Certainly I am hoping that we see this universe from a different perspective than the usual 'captain and his mates' viewpoint.

Actually, as in the episode 'Turnabout Intruder' it is mentioned that Starfleet did not accept women as starship captains at the time of the original series (well, it was the 1960s), it could make an interesting dynamic. Certainly I am hoping that we see this universe from a different perspective than the usual 'captain and his mates' viewpoint.

Wasn't there a female captain on the second NX-class ship in Enterprise? That would imply that Starfleet actually regressed at some point between Archer and Kirk!

Ross.

I'd just settle for something a little more original.

They seem to be focusing on what the characters are going to be in relation to the real world to fulfil PC criteria, rather than what they are in relation to the Star Trek universe where gender, race, colour, creed, etc. are not that huge a deal, certainly not to the extent where x amount of characters have to be gay, a colour other than white, and female - as far as I understand Star Trek, in the 23rd century humans have supposedly moved on from all that (I believe in TNG's first episode they tried to make that point).

I don't recall Star Trek ever harping on about characters being female, or black, or of a particular sexual preference, like this new series seems it will.

TOS had a (comedy) Russian weapons officer, a black female communications officer, an oriental navigator and not once was there a point directly and in your face made of it!!

Edited by Raven Morpheus
  • Like 2

I'm liking the sound of the new series less and less but I'll be watching.
ANY new ST is welcome.

It might be A bit more 'amateur' - but I really like the web series 'Star Trek continues'.

It stays true to TOS - and Vic Mignogna is bl--dy good as Kirk.

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/episodes.html

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack