lets hope it's good

Don't think I'll bother if it's called STD ( :sick: ) and they're PC-ing it.

Paul Harrison

Blimey, you lot are quick to rush to judgement, aren't you? The original series may not have had the pre-press, but it was quite deliberately constructed to have a significant black female role, an Asian American and a guy playing Russion, not to mention an alien as the second lead alongside the traditional white male hero and comedy sidekick. So how about giving it a try instead of spouting the usual "It's political correctness gone mad" and see how they do with character and story? Personally, I think DS9 was the best of all the Trek TV series, though B5 was better than any of them...

Best,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon
  • Like 3

Blimey, you lot are quick to rush to judgement, aren't you? The original series may not have had the pre-press, but it was quite deliberately constructed to have a significant black female role, an Asian American and a guy playing Russion, not to mention an alien as the second lead alongside the traditional white male hero and comedy sidekick. So how about giving it a try instead of spouting the usual "It's political correctness gone mad" and see how they do with character and story? Personally, I think DS9 was the best of all the Trek TV series, though B5 was better than any of them...

Best,

M.

I concur - it's way too early to pass judgement. The race/gender of the lead is of no consequence by itself - whether this show triumphs or fails will likely depend on the basic premise of the series and how well the writers utilise the performers. As for the openly gay character, it's an issue that Trek has avoided almost entirely over the course of its 50-year history despite having a pro-tolerant and progressive attitude at its core, so it seems like an appropriate and long overdue step for the franchise to take.

Also agree re. DS9: I found it to be most accomplished and well rounded of all the Trek series; and B5 is my favourite too (RIP Gerry Doyle, by the way).

Ross.

Blimey, you lot are quick to rush to judgement, aren't you? The original series may not have had the pre-press, but it was quite deliberately constructed to have a significant black female role, an Asian American and a guy playing Russion, not to mention an alien as the second lead alongside the traditional white male hero and comedy sidekick.

True. But like I said no point was made of it, it wasn't like in the shows context they had characters comment on Uhura being female and black, or Sulu being Oriental, or either of them making a point of it themselves, and although I wasn't around at the time I don't think much was made of it outside of the context of the show either - it was "here's a bunch of characters on a mission lets see what develops". I get the feeling, especially with the LGBTQ character(s) that a big point will be made of it within the shows episodes.

There are loads of races within the Star Trek universe they could have made the female lead if they want diversity for the sake of it. They could have, for example, made her Andorian if it's a matter of skin colour, they're blue, would have been different within Star Trek canon and ticked the diversity box at the same time, and they could run with a back story along the lines of "first Andorian in Star Fleet". Or they could have made her Orion, you know like the hot green cadet in the 2009 film!!

But no, they've gone with a human non-Caucasian. Yawn.

When I saw Avery Brooks in DS9 I didn't automatically think "token black guy", and wasn't even bothered that he started out as Commander Sisko rather than Captain Sisko (something which the producers of STD seem to have glossed over whilst trying to make out their new female lead having the rank of Commander is something new), but now I will consider the female lead in STD to be a token, because that's basically what the producers have said she is and if I were a non-Caucasian actress considering auditioning for the role I wouldn't be too happy knowing that I'm mostly likely to get the part because I'm female and not white!!!

As fans of Star Trek we all expect to see a diverse cast, we don't need the reasons behind it shoved in our faces and Star Trek has always portrayed itself as gender/race/colour blind - however now they appear to be openly pushing the agenda(s), and that detracts from it being a Star Trek show and turns it into another run of the mill sanctimonious moralising US Sci-Fi series imho - more so than Voyager was, which Bryan Fuller also worked on.

I would like to see what happens, I stuck with Voyager and Enterprise all the way through and they were the weakest of all Star Trek series, but STD is not looking good based on the info put forward so far.

Edited by Raven Morpheus

I don't see how you get from what Fuller actually says in that story to "I get the feeling, especially with the LGBTQ character(s) that a big point will be made of it within the shows episodes"...

I think actually watching the show will be a much better way of deciding whether it's any good...

Best,

M.

The way that having a gay character in Star Trek Beyond was the way to handle it: this person is gay, that's his family, move along, nothing to see.I actually think that we have a much more matter-of-fact way of handling it in UK television, where the sexuality -or ethnicity- of a central character is often the least most significant thing about them (Captain Jack Harkness excluded!).

That the producers feel they have to announce such things has much more to say, in my opinion, about the state of US television production.

• Like 1

I don't see how you get from what Fuller actually says in that story to "I get the feeling, especially with the LGBTQ character(s) that a big point will be made of it within the shows episodes"...

I get that from what's been said because it's generally how things go. Call it a hunch, intuition, gut instinct, or experience from having watched a lot of TV and seeing how new series end up.

I await being wrong though, and sincerely hope I am. I'd love for STD to be as good as TNG/DS9 and lead to a Star Trek/Sci Fi renaissance (just as long as it doesn't end up mainstream and talked about by people who think they're Sci Fi fans just from watching STD, like the Game of Thrones crowd who think they're fantasy/high fantasy fans because they've seen Ned Stark get his head chopped off).

Edited by Raven Morpheus

It's unbuildable, I tell you! Even though I haven't actually got the kit.

Oh, sorry...

It's unwatchable, I tell you! Even though I haven't seen it.

We're seeing the marketing machine in full swing here, and that has no relation whatsoever to whether the series will be good, bad or indifferent. It could be as good as Prometheus was ( :sick:), or Gravity ( :repuke:), with all of their hype, or it could be another Firefly. We'll just have to wait and see.