lets hope it's good

Trailer reminds me of the end credits of the re-imagined JJ Star Trek movie

I suppose that as it is not due to air for another year and a half the studio don't have much

of substance to show yet. :waiting: watch this space :popcorn:

According to what l have read it will be based not on the JJ star Trek alternate time line but on the orginal. Suppose to be after the Undiscovered Country but before TNG. Reading between the lines l am wondering if it's going to be story lines of individual ships crews and captains. Maybe even a few Klingon adventures. I thought they would have gone with Captain Riker and the crew of the Titan in the Beta quadrant but l like this as well. Still Klingon adventures would have been interesting too

I'll be interested to see which way they go with this....

Please don't let it be a simple re-hash of previous series (and, dear God, nothing like STNG! That show was so PC, it ruined it).

Cheers.

Chris.

I would like to see the new series not to concentrate on the seven or eight highest ranked officers on the ship, but to see a lot more of the rest of the crew, and also to reflect on the fact that the same bridge crew would not be on duty every time a red alert is called. And I never understood how when the away team was selected, the on duty helm officer would be picked for it almost every time, and vacate their station to toddle off to planet X. Isn't he or she already doing a job on the ship?

Also, can they please be ordinary people, not high achievers, top academy graduates, writers of scientific papers, the first person to do this or that etc. Let's see some characters with flaws who don't get by with everybody, get creases in their uniform, play practical jokes, screw up, can't wait until their time in Starfleet is up and who might occasionally be (permanently) killed in the line of duty or transferred to other ships. In fact, the kind of disparate group of individuals that are thrown together in any situation.

And less of the strange new worlds stuff. Let's see what an everyday ship of the line gets up to while the big shiny flagship boldly goes somewhere else. There is plenty of drama that doesn't need a first contact situation each week.

• Like 2

I would like to see the new series not to concentrate on the seven or eight highest ranked officers on the ship, but to see a lot more of the rest of the crew, and also to reflect on the fact that the same bridge crew would not be on duty every time a red alert is called. And I never understood how when the away team was selected, the on duty helm officer would be picked for it almost every time, and vacate their station to toddle off to planet X. Isn't he or she already doing a job on the ship?

Also, can they please be ordinary people, not high achievers, top academy graduates, writers of scientific papers, the first person to do this or that etc. Let's see some characters with flaws who don't get by with everybody, get creases in their uniform, play practical jokes, screw up, can't wait until their time in Starfleet is up and who might occasionally be (permanently) killed in the line of duty or transferred to other ships. In fact, the kind of disparate group of individuals that are thrown together in any situation.

And less of the strange new worlds stuff. Let's see what an everyday ship of the line gets up to while the big shiny flagship boldly goes somewhere else. There is plenty of drama that doesn't need a first contact situation each week.

Red Dwarf?

• Like 2

Please don't let it be a simple re-hash of previous series (and, dear God, nothing like STNG! That show was so PC, it ruined it).

I'm far from a Trekkie, but I think one of the strengths of the Star Trek TV shows was that they were actually fairly diverse, within the genre. DS9 and TNG were at least as different from each other as Farscape and TNG, for example. As for "everyday ships of the line" and "ordinary crew members", well, I have to disagree. I don't want to watch a "bottle episode" every week, the everyday tale of the endless blockade of the neutral zone. The whole idea of Star Trek was that it gave the opportunity for a very different adventure every week... Personally, my favorite Star Trek universe TV episode ever is Deep Space 9s "Far Beyond the Stars, which recreates Sisko as a 1950s science fiction writer telling his own story of the future.

If the new series can channel a bit of Farscape, Babylon 5 and BSG into its Star Trek genes, then I'll certainly be watching!

bestest,

M.

(BTW, for the true story of the unsung bit-part players who aren't on the bridge, Redshirts by John Scalzi is a real laugh!)

• Like 1

the only red shirt to survive was Scottie and only cause he was a tough Scotsman......doen't hurt to be drunk a lot too

• Like 1

How about a show about an average squad of redshirts on a starship?

With a new cast every week.

If it's set between The Undiscovered Country and TNG won't they all have red shirts? Which makes me wonder if there was a sly little nod when it was decided to put everybody in red for The Wrath of Khan...

How about a bunch of noobs come out of warp with their shields down in hostile space, right in front of an agressive alien spaceship! The aliens can blow them up and kill half the crew before the moron captain says "evasive maneuvers" and still doesnt fire back. Then they can sissy surrender to "save the crew".

At this point they can spend 50 mins schooling us on how violence is bad and how there are other alternatives.

After inventing a "timewarp gadget thingy" by pressing a few buttons on a console they dissable the enemy ship and *violently blow it up* like they could have done in the first place.

Back at Star Fleet the damaged ship is rebuilt at insane expense before being refilled with more death wish crew for next week. The moron bridge crew are not shot or imprissoned, but once more are allowed to do it all over again.

Oh and the new guy with no lines always dies.

Ooops i should have put *spoiler alert* :whistle:

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

The design makes me think its a warship. So will the series be based in a Federation/Romulan war or one with the Klingons? Would not be the first time a dedicated Starship was designed for battle. The DS 9 Defiant comes to mind

• Like 1

Hmm.

That was more or less one of the plans they had for the Enterprise in the Star Trek Phase 2 series of the 1970s. I didn't like it then and I'm not sure I like it now. I'm also not sure if they would give a warship the name Discovery either.

I wonder if the ship's computer has been named HAL? Watch out for those shuttle bay doors, Captain.

• Like 1

Voyager is my benchmark. I'll suspend comment until it appears this side of the pond. I wonder which network will show it?

If it's a belligerent version which goes out to bash Johnny Klingon, that would mark a huge departure in the tone of the franchise, as all(?) others had exploration and friendship as their prime motive.

Still, I'll give it a go :)

Trevor