Airfix Spitfire PRXIX 1:48

Very nice build basically, although I personally think that the weathering is a bit overdone. ;-) Nice detail to have the elevators droop, as they generally do on a parked Spit!

The Rotol blades wouldn't show metal under the paint, especially not at the trailing edges – the blades are made of wood, you see, with a brass sheath on the leading edge.

And the ailerons shouldn't both droop. They're mechanically interlinked to move in oppostite direction for lateral control – when one goes down, the other one goes up.

Your next one will be perfect!

Kind regards,

Joachim

I probably agree that it is a bit overdone - but every model I do is battered (I am trying to improve my skillset)

I was under the impression that once hydraulic pressure dropped all control surfaces drooped, including ailerons and elevators

Trailing edge? Have I messed up the rotation again?

Beautiful build, but I agree wit Spitfire31, that the weathering is definitely overdone. Fotos show that when provided with 'the Last' sticker, it was almost in mint condition and as such it was transferred to the Thai airforce. Such fotos are easily accessible on the net. Just google 'spitfire + the last'.

I was under the impression that once hydraulic pressure dropped all control surfaces drooped, including ailerons and elevators

The Spitfire (all Marks) had cable operated control surfaces – ailerons, elevators, rudder.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Steve

Joachim - if the rudders drooped (and were cable operated) how come the ailerons didn't?

Also - I've just found out that Griffon engines rotated anti-clockwise from the pilots perspective, whereas Merlin engines rotated clockwise - hence my chipping mess-up!

Now I need to check all future builds for rotation!

Joachim - if the rudders drooped (and were cable operated) how come the ailerons didn't?

Because the ailerons are interconnected, in effect acting as counterbalances to each other. Like a see-saw at a playground…

Kind regards,

Joachim

Nice build Phil. :)

The rudder is the vertical control surface attached to the fin, and the elevators are the horizontal control surfaces attached to the tailplanes. The elevators always move in the same direction - either both up or both down; they control the aircraft in pitch. On a parked Spitfire they are usually deflected downwards because the pilots often pushed the control column forwards to exit the aircraft. As Joachim says, the ailerons are mechanically linked to each other (via the control column) and move in opposite directions. Because all the linkages are mechanical, there is no 'drooping' as such, the surfaces just reflect the position of the stick or rudder pedals.

regards,

Jason