Stuka! Academy Ju87G-2 in 1/72 - Finished.

The canopy mask is well worth the money to save a lot of frustration IMHO.

Don't forget to paint the fuselage band before doing the main colours. I know it's an obvious one, but I DID forget & that's why mine is currently a KUTA ;)

• Like 1

Nice work so far! One small thing, if I may pick a nit- the recess on top of the left wing as molded by Academy should be filled.

AFAIK this was a landing gear access hatch missing from a restored museum aircraft,

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

OK. I thought I'd finished the filling and sanding last night as well. Ain't it always the way?

Thanks for the heads up.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit more progress to update. Priming was a bit of a pain. Every time I attempted to get outside to spray it the rain came on. Its been generally lovely but every time I went out the door with spray can in hand the weather changed its mind. Annoying. Still, got it done and painting started. Under side is good old Humbrol 65 They do an RLM equivalent as well but for my money its got too much gray in it. Just the one coat in this pic, its had another since.

DSC_0204_zpsusuipfgh.jpg

Couple of touches on the tyres to do later. Masked off the upper side for the Schwarzgrun first. Its Revell enamel which I've not used before but discovered I can get on the way home from work, which is nice and easy. It seems good stuff, I'll happily pick it up as an alternative again.

DSC_0205_zpsqai1hbml.jpg

EDIT: Forgot to say, the carpet monster feasted on the aileron weights. Well, three of them anyway. I can live without.

Edited by Stosh65
  • Like 3

Nice to see the paint going on Stosh and it looks like you are achieving a very nice finish :)

That masking on the upper wing has got me puzzled though (but I am easily confused!).

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

I've always fancied this kit, yes I know BIG CANNONS !

But hearing that it goes together so well, unless you are being overly modest with your building skills.

Look forward to seeing this one finished

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

I've always fancied this kit, yes I know BIG CANNONS !

But hearing that it goes together so well, unless you are being overly modest with your building skills.

Look forward to seeing this one finished

Cheers Pat

Nope, the build is probably my strong point. No false modesty, its just a great little kit.

Yup, hard core hairy sick devotee.

• Like 1

Nope, the build is probably my strong point. No false modesty, its just a great little kit.

Yup, hard core hairy sick devotee.

Great to see a fellow hairy stick man the right side of Hadrians wall !

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

Painting away. Sooo much masking. The lighter green looks like it needs an extra coat to the schwarzgrun, which only required two. Still, rolling along steadily.

DSC_0206_zpsgura2sal.jpg

EDIT: Forgot to say, the section at the bottom of the picture has had an extra coat, just to check the colour contrast was OK. And the dark patch at the port wing root shouldn't be there. Oops.

Edited by Stosh65
  • Like 4

Not too close. Still a lot of touching up and detail work to do. But when everything has a bit of paint you do feel a lot closer to that finish line.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm still alive! Was on holiday for a couple of weeks then the end of the American football season took up a lot of attention. We just missed the playoffs in our second last game unfortunately.

Having some phone problems which is my main camera so no pics just yet but gloss coat is on and the decals started this evening. I'm taking my time with those as my patience often gets away from me. Should get done and some pics up over the weekend.

• Like 2

Slow decaling. I go slow when I'm trying, its not a process I enjoy. Done now. the decals were pretty good. Thin, and there was some folding but in general good to use. A couple of bits got torn so we'll call that pre-weathering and dig out the washes to mess this up. I can't imagine the Russian front lent itself to pristine equipment.

111_0731_zpsawjaqbaq.jpg

111_0732_zpsu5uanwgb.jpg

111_0733_zps7en9orbr.jpg

A quick coat of gloss to seal it and its time to wash. I'm participating in the blitz build so next update likely to be next week.

• Like 6

So lessons learned this week centre mainly on not getting distracted by my playstation, forgetting the wash I put on and leaving it about 24 hours. After a good bit of hard work its off and actually I don't think its a half bad result. Unfortunately I should have put a second layer of varnish on as I've damaged a couple of decals. But hey, it's a messy ugly Russian front bird so I'll just have to live with it.

DSC_0590_zpsngwb9tcn.jpg

DSC_0592_zpsbcl5hlmc.jpg

Getting there. Just a few bits to add and the canopy to do and it'll be in the gallery.

• Like 5