MiG-29 STSB (Single Type Solo Build!) - Trumpy 9-13 finished now building Zvezda 9-13

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

Yeah, those don't look like fun to fill.

Have you uh, I mean, your associate, ahem, started on yours I mean his yet?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

I, I mean he is caught up with Spitfires right now.

He likes Spitfires too?!?!?!?! What a coincidence!!!!!

• Like 1

If you think the Trumpeter Mig 29's are complex, wait until you keep building that Zvezda kit...i find the Zvezda kits, while very nice in terms of fit and shape, overkill many times.

Tye Zvezda Mig 29 9.13 is a very nice kit, but a lot more difficult to assemble than a Trumpeter kit. 

I love how the upper fuselage is just one piece in Trumpeters, i hate having to fill up seams where the wings and fuselage meet...

• 4 weeks later...

A little extra progress on the Zvezda kit. I'm having a little better luck with this kit as opposed to Ed, from the looks of it, though I was taking my time on this (I rushed on the Trumpy). I also missed a few steps as I hadn't been taking pictures of my progress lately. The intakes are painted and assembled, and at this point in time, wings are on, with no filler needed. Once painted on, the wing seam should look like part natural seam. I test fit the wings on and trimmed slowly to make sure the fit was decent. This alone probably took me an hour of fitting before I was confident of the join. Fins were a bit fiddly and I resorted to filling the gap with Mr Surfacer and wiping off with some nail polish remover.

31990848483_ee1b35091a_c.jpg

The wingtips were of concern as there is very little joining surface, and the tabs that come with the tips are more of a locator rather than any joining surface. I cleaned up the edges, then glued then on with a little Faller Super Expert, wiped the excess off, and I'm using these clothes pegs to hold the tips in place until the glue cures.

32764200126_d70e3b9257_c.jpg

The forward fuselage is also on. The engineering is odd, but I think it was designed that way to capture the complex shapes of the front of the aircraft. The two front pieces joined together well, as you can see, this was joined just about perfectly. I don't think I'll need any filler here.

31990847553_c014d70dfb_c.jpg

• Like 3

Ejection seat is done. It comes in several pieces, and is done in such a way that the back cushion is separate, so you could scratch you own if you wanted!

32747961892_86a5db6693_c.jpg

It really is a nice seat...

32747962632_bf22b5191c_c.jpg

Actually, I just realized I forgot to paint the bottom cushion...

• Like 2

Thanks exdraken. I tend to build primarily out of the box nowadays, unless there is a correction set to fix a glaring error (part of my recent building renaissance when I realized that obsessing with accuracy was taking the fun out of the hobby for me). I still have some aftermarket sets left, and they'll be used in a later Italeri build. For the most part though, I think the Trumpeter and Zvezda kits are just fine out of the box.

Anyway, canopy is on - noted something interesting about the clear bits - they were perfectly clear in the bag, but did not react well to my fingers. Either I had really oily hands that day, or maybe I should have checked it for mold release residue, because they clear bits got really cloudy after some handling. I managed to polish some clarity back into it, but something to look into for a future build. Also, the canopy was just a tad bit wider than the fuselage, but I suspect is a slight deformation to the part - I had to put a little extra jeweler's glue to the frame and clamp it in place, and the canopy shape conforms to the windshield curve now.

Not that it's all closed up, masked and ready for paint, it really is starting to look like a Mig-29, doesn't it?

32874911046_6371a040b2_c.jpg

Oops - and I forgot to paint the seat cushion again.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, exdraken said:

Looks very nice oob!! you are right of course that AM does not necessarily increase joy!!

Indeed - the Zvezda's MiG-29 / Su-27 kit's K36 is one of the best OOB seats in a kit.

Cheers,

Andre

Some areas masked, preshading has started. I originally was going to mask the panels on the LERX but decided it was easier to mask the shapes in rather than mask them out.

32910427051_cbfcbd253a_c.jpg

And that's the most we're going to see for a while, because shortly after spraying the first layer of green paint, my compressor died :(

• Sad 1

Turns out it was the switch on the compressor that had died, and not the compressor itself. I got a rocker switch installed, but it turns out that the wiring was soldered on to the blades directly at the factory, and since the original switch was smaller, I couldn't get everything back into the switch housing. I don't have the tools to enlarge the hole in the housing for the larger switch, so I'll just have to go to another shop to get a microswitch. However, I am at least back in business, though my compressor looks a mess:

32895145892_222409057a_c.jpg

And I did got some painting in:

33051231635_3b8e990666_c.jpg

• Like 2

So since the switch I installed was too big for the slot (that's what she said), I went ahead and located a new micro rocker switch from Fry's Electronics, unfortunately the only place in town I can get tiny electronic components any more (RIP Radio Shack). A little soldering, heat shrinking and fiddling around later, I have a brand new, fancy rocker switch on a working-again compressor! Cost to repair vs buying a new compressor - $170 in savings if buying a comparable model.

32944392011_e38d94029b_c.jpg

Did a little more painting. While I tend to freehand, I think I should have masked this with putty. I will probably go back with some putty in the end to clean up the edging. Does anyone have a diagram for what the undersides of this scheme should look like, by the way?

33071114995_577ae13c4b_c.jpg

• Like 5

• 7 months later...

:clap2:    Simply EXCEPTIONAL collection of MiGs.... truly AWESOME workmanship and MY interest was peaked and raised when you said you were doing an  INDIAN

:heart:   :Tasty:

SUPERB  builds and lively thread too.

Thank you.  KUDOS  .....

Keep it coming as I enjoy a cup of Joe!

:clap2: