MiG-29 STSB (Single Type Solo Build!) - Trumpy 9-13 finished now building Zvezda 9-13

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

What a great thread, Tom! I just ordered two MiG-29s myself, so I'll follow along for research purposes.

Did you order the Zvezda? The Trumpeters are a little finicky in the nose department.

46 minutes ago, alxzinbox said:

That's one awesome looking paintjob! Free hand I presume? She's going to turn out a stunner.

Thanks! Yes, it's freehand. I've had good luck freehanding with Tamiya paints. Other brands, not so much! I still do use feathered masks from now and then though, like when I'm painting two color tones that are close together, like on an F-15.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Supertom said:

Did you order the Zvezda? The Trumpeters are a little finicky in the nose department.

No, unfortunately, I did not. I wanted to do a Polish MiG-29A and a Soviet-era Aggressor, so went with the 9.12 kit for both.

Glad I found this thread!  I have Trumpeter's 9.12 & 9.19 (the second nose is for this version, the MiG-29SMT), Zvezda's 9.13 (two sharkmouth schemes on the sheet so I may get another kit, Trumpeter or Zvezda?), and two Italeri MiG-29 (9.12).  Since I also have 48th scale kits (Academy MiG-29A & UB plus GWH 9.12 Early (2x)), 9.12 Late (German scheme), and 9.13), I feel ready to tackle all the sharkmouth markings from Begemot, Hi-Decal, and others.

Regards,

Edited by sharkmouth

OK, so I picked up the new Trumpy SMT, so that leaves the 9.51 and Zvezda's SMT (hopefully with Indian markings) left to complete the collection of accurately-shaped (or mostly accurate) Fulcrums.

Edited by Supertom
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Aw shucks, Ed :wub:

Anyway....

As predicted, got a little burned out on the -29 (it's the landing gear) and so I started on the AlleyCat AC-47T, and got burned out on that also, so I'm back on the 29.

Good news, everyone! The landing gear is now on! It took me all night as it's the most complex landing gear assembly I've ever done. It looks great, and the main legs look like it shouldn't work, but it does. Drop tanks, pylons and maybe the canopy tonight.

31981106565_f1dc5e58b0_b.jpg

Edited by Supertom
  • Like 3

Well, I tried to get it finished by the end of the year but drying time and some other unexpected stuff slowed me down. The lovely landing gear lights, all shiny and clear, were marred by seam lines right down the middle...

31221485693_6e32cd9d79_c.jpg

Though, after sanding and polishing with Novus Plastic Polish, it looks pretty decent...

31883330992_7e9663c60b_c.jpg

Geez I really didn't clean up the gear door did I?

Edited by Supertom
  • Like 2

Well, almost done. The majority of the dangly bits are done. All I need left are the blade antenna, that little pitot on the side of the nose, nose probe, tailplanes, burner cans and a little touch-up paint!

32030047976_9564745f2b_c.jpg

And if you've wondered, I left the tailplanes off because they mount on a pin, and I figured it would break off easily.

32030047726_47317ece91_c.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks guys. I had hoped to finish it last night but I found a few paint chips and needed to touch up the paint. I did get the burner cans painted and weathered though.

When weathering burner cans and/or hot/distressed metal, inks, washes and stains are your friend. I'm a big fan of Citadel's washes - while expensive, you only need one or two drops at a time for each treatment. However I've also been experimenting with other brands. The only ones I've not had good luck with are the major bottled brands. The rule of thumb is to use stuff for figure painting, specifically formulated as a wash.

31723867670_0b2fd18cf9_c.jpg

Burner cans after painting (using Alclad Aluminium and Steel):

31950698892_4e42c8b45e_c.jpg

After weathering:

31288732443_ae8178e8e4_c.jpg

• Like 3

Alright, calling this one done. So far, of all the kits, the Trumpy is certainly the most complex. I would have completed it sooner but with my grandma falling ill, modelling took a break while we cared for her. This would make it 4 MiG-29s completed for this year.

Also, the new photobooth got destroyed by accident, so rather than wait on getting it rebuilt, I'll just show it from the workbench until I have a moment to do it properly:

31737523810_bb05d33014_b.jpg

31271418244_03a8a68703_b.jpg

31964395662_f20eaa3295_b.jpg

31737523760_d6ac052085_b.jpg

Next up, the Zvezda.

• Like 8

Thanks Ed! I have the TUDM bird on my build list too. I take it you're using the Trumpeter kit? Feel free to contact me if you have questions about the kit.

Anyway I started the Zvezda last night (at 11pm...why do I do this to myself?) I will be doing the unique two-tone green White 44 from Damgarten AB in 1994, using the Begemot sheet. Does anyone know if 773 IAP's primary mission was air-to-air or air-to-ground?

32120512015_1196fc6132_c.jpg

Interestingly enough, construction does not begin with that cockpit (that's in the middle), but rather the landing gear wells...

31745413690_9a21212b64_c.jpg

And of course, being a Zvezda kit, I had to fill ejector pin marks literally from the very beginning!

31279267324_460fff26b8_c.jpg

So I suspect the build will be a little more finicky in the fit and finish department, but the engineering suggests that it should be a fairly straightforward build. If anything, this kit has a significantly smaller parts count than the Trumpeter kit, and with fewer parts with significant potential to break off (like the tail fins).

• Like 2

On 1/6/2017 at 4:52 AM, Flyingdutchman said:

Very interesting the Damgarten Mig's you might want to have a look at this link: http://www.16va.be/galeries_vvs/mig-29/773 IAP/

As far as I can remember the 773 was air-to-air and no ground role.

Evert

Thank you Evert! I've been having trouble matching the colours and this would be a great help!