MiG-29 STSB (Single Type Solo Build!) - Trumpy 9-13 finished now building Zvezda 9-13

Supertom now i remember. You are the one who did the f-23 raptor, aren't you? :)

Yes keep going with the build, if something takes long to correct pass it by. You have so many camos to complete :)

The Myanmar looks great. Very unusual camo. That caranacal decals a must! I have the sheet for the PAV-1 and PAV-2.

Did you see the references for ukraine mig-29s on our forum above? I did an extensive research lately..

you can find more on my signature > database > spotters.net.ua

Edited by Amen

Supertom now i remember. You are the one who did the f-23 raptor, aren't you? :)

Yes keep going with the build, if something takes long to correct pass it by. You have so many camos to complete :)

The Myanmar looks great. Very unusual camo. That caranacal decals a must! I have the sheet for the PAV-1 and PAV-2.

Did you see the references for ukraine mig-29s on our forum above? I did an extensive research lately..

you can find more on my signature > database > spotters.net.ua

Yep, that was me - thanks for remembering me! And I'll definitely check out your resources for the Ukrainian -29!

So clearly, this just doesn't fit as well as the Italeri kit...

Photo%2BJul%2B19%252C%2B11%2B14%2B50%2BP

Photo%2BJul%2B19%252C%2B11%2B19%2B56%2BP

That little white strip on the intake lip is just a little extra plasticard to extend the bottom of the lip, so that the FOD doors don't sit flush on the intake.

• Like 1

After your beautiful work on the Myanmar 9.12 it is nice to see you moving on to the old (relatively) Airfix kit ... because I've got one in the stash too!

I'm aware of the larger wings, and I had contemplated cutting the wing up and taking 3mm off it, but I decided to build this without modifications as I wanted to keep going and not worry about it too much, as 99% of people wouldn't notice it (unfortunately we're mostly the 1%). I'm at peace with this and I'm just going to enjoy myself.

I did wonder about chopping the wings but, like you, decided that was probably too much hassle. Perhaps dropping the leading and trailing edge control surfaces might help disguise the issue? Just a thought ...

Chris

Perhaps dropping the leading and trailing edge control surfaces might help disguise the issue? Just a thought ...

Chris

I thought about it, but I'm just too lazy to do that....besides, if I plan on building multiples, I tend to do one straight out of the box to get a feel for the kit. Size-wise the fuselage length is about the same as the Italeri, but I think the angle of the LERX is slightly different. If I stuck shorter wings on it, it might make the front end seem too long, so I'll do this one and see how it looks, and try the wing mod on the next attempt just for curiosity's sake.

Life's too short to nitpick over everything, anyway. We build for ourselves, so as long as I'm at peace with it, it's going the way it is.

Edited by Supertom
  • Haha 1

Airfix (9-12) and Trumpeter (9-13) jobbies ready for the paint shop :thumbsup:

IMG_6986.JPG

And in case you've been wondering just how good that newfangled, expensive Tamiya curved masking tape is, check this out: The front of the windshield is one continuous piece:

IMG_6603.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I had some extra pics of the Airfix -29's construction, including how I filled the large gap the LERX seam, but I must have accidentally erased it. I have another Airfix to build, so if I come across it again, I'll retake those pics. Anyway the Airfix -29 has progressed significantly. I managed to lose one of the tiny intake scoops, when I sprayed paint on it (apparently I had not glued it sufficiently and it flew off when I hit it with the airbrush), and after scratchbuilding a new one, I found that it had landed in the kit's box six feet away! Well, I'll have a spare. This one will have Indian markings.

IMG_7473.JPG

• Like 2

Here we go. Flickr it is. Decals are on. IAF markings are from Caracal, and the stencils are classic Airfix. Other than the slightly off-register radiation markings, the other decals are great and are surprisingly one of the best ones I've worked with in a while.

28174463473_6ba6ab7872_z.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

And here we go. For some reason, the plastic on this was incredibly brittle and I spent a lot of time "rebuilding" the kit - the nose landing gear has been broken in three different places already! But like a mad sweetheart I kept going and it's finally done. It was 2am when I finished (and the club meeting is at 7pm) and I'm going not look at it for a few days before I take some proper pictures for RFI.

29086975085_1385cbd2d9_z.jpg

So now it's back to that neglected Trumpeter 9-13 in the corner, because I seriously need to build something easier.

Edited by Supertom
  • Like 5

See that pre-shaded 9-13 in the background? That's the Trumpeter kit. I finally plucked up the courage to paint what is probably the most complex paint scheme I've ever done:

29200135975_2b3a357e2e_z.jpg

(should have started off with the first colour).

28912319910_c306fab406_z.jpg

Colour #3

29200135945_3da0e9b8f8_z.jpg

Colour #4. Tonight, I'm going to fit the tail fins on, then adjust the camo to fit, then tighten up the demarcation. I probably need to lighten up the lighter green shade too, then apply some fading.

Edited by Supertom
  • Like 4

The paint has been touched up, but I'm not happy with it.

28600808074_57dd586ac4_z.jpg

It finally dawned on me this morning why. The Grey-green part is too dark! I'm not sure why I didn't see it the last two nights, but it was probably due to me painting late at night. I think I will try Tamiya IJN Grey (XF-76) instead of the Tamiya XF-22 (RLM Grey) I used.

28600807944_410f35d7e0_b.jpg

Edited by Supertom
  • Like 3

I finally plucked up the courage to paint what is probably the most complex paint scheme I've ever done:

Nice decals - whose are those, Linden Hill?

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Andre

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man you killing me! I have some Ukrainian Mig-29s on w.i.p too. Can you please send me some photos of Linden hill decal manual with the camos on good readable quality?

Here is a collection of Ukrainian mig-29s in Earth camo. (Your 40 blue isn't there.)

http://share.pho.to/AJPQy

How about the cone fitting on the trumpeter kit?

Oh man you killing me! I have some Ukrainian Mig-29s on w.i.p too. Can you please send me some photos of Linden hill decal manual with the camos on good readable quality?

Here is a collection of Ukrainian mig-29s in Earth camo. (Your 40 blue isn't there.)

http://share.pho.to/AJPQy

How about the cone fitting on the trumpeter kit?

Cone fits pretty well, though not exactly flush on one side since I sanded it down. There is a bit of a lip on the side but I'm debating on whether it's worth filling. I had to file down the attachment tabs a bit to make sure it fits flush. Nice that I could paint the nosecone separate, though.

• Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sooooooooooo many stencils....

30100297446_a9d2228231_z.jpg

In the meantime, I've decaled and weathered it, but I totally forgot to post an update about it. I also forgot to add the scoops, so I'll post up a new pic after I've remedied that....

• Like 3