MiG-29 STSB (Single Type Solo Build!) - Trumpy 9-13 finished now building Zvezda 9-13

Thanks guys, Synopsis, you need to do a solo STGB too! Or just wait for the upcoming MiG-29 GB that I forgot about :P

Construction has begun in earnest. The completed cockpit tub (which didn't go together as well as I had thought, more on that later) sits precariously on top of two pegs on the lower fuselage half. The pushes the cockpit tub up against the upper fuselage (quite clever really).
IMG_6371.JPG
So, regarding the tub. I had assumed that with the four sections (sidewalls, tub, from panel) that it would all just click in and go, but that's not the case. You'll notice that it doesn't quite fall together, and the instructions are quite vague on the placement of the pieces. In fact, the instructions are pretty much vague almost all around (like, no instructions on which holes to open up depending on what pylons you want to use). So anyway, you want to place the instrument panel first - and note that you may need to enlarge the hole the panel's peg goes into - and when you place the sidewalls, the aft part of the wall butts up against the rear bulkhead, but the front part of the sidewalls connect to the sides of the instrument panel, using the molding seam on the IP as a guide. This is because the cockpit tub actually tapers outward from aft to forward. When you place the upper fuselage panel, add a bit of glue to the rear of the IP, along the top edge, and that would push up against the panel coaming that is attached to the upper fuselage half. If you didn't know that, the whole thing would look like a mess and you'd have thought that the guy who designed this man-vegetables'ed it up, when it's really the guy in charge of the instruction sheet.
IMG_6373.JPG
By the way, the side panel decals are the exact same size as those sidewalls, so trim as closely as possible. In hindsight, you might be better of trimming off the black outlines. That'll be for the next one.
  • Like 4

Yeah, Tom, it was another TUDM build. I had some problems aligning the cockpit tub, as the instrument panel prevents the top edges of the sides from mating with the canopy sills. Not a big thing with the canopy closed but quite noticeable with an open canopy.

I also agree with you on the instrument panel decal. I hadn't thought to cut it and it ended up being a pain to align with the molded details.

• Like 1

Some minor progress. I started on the wheel wells and intakes yesterday. Each wheel well has three pieces, the main landing gear strut, a brace, and the sidewall. The brace piece needs to be trimmed slightly there it tapers off at an angle; that butts up one of the mating services but is a bit long - a few swipes with a sanding stick would do. The main landing gear support strut is odd, and I'm a bit weirded out by it. Apparently, you glue the strut into the hole in the wheel well, which is keyed so you can't get it in at a wrong angle, but there's a fair amount of play there so it's hard to tell if the angle is correct. Later on, you glue the lower parts of the strut on to these stubs. In addition, you're putting the weight on of the model on some very small points, and I'm very uncomfortable with that join. Finally, the sidewall goes in. It does achieve some decent amount of detail/depth in there but I am concerned that it was done at the expense of structural strength.

IMG_6375.jpg

Intake trunking is on. I'm not sure why Trumpeter included the fan blades as the top bypass panels are molded open anyway, so the only way to model this is with the intake doors shut. I left those out for the possibility of sticking them on another kit. The intake trunk is a tight fit - so much so that it's actually a bit longer so you'll find the edges popping out and making a seam. Sand the rear of the intake trunk slightly to keep it from pushing out when you attempt to glue it.

IMG_6376.jpg

The tail surfaces are ready to go on. Trumpeter did a clever thing here and molded the fins as part of the fuselage that is to be attached. so rather than glue the fins on top and potentially leaving a gap or not aligning right, you just need to slap it on the side of the fuselage, where it would be easier to adjust for angle, and also eliminates the need to clean up a seam on the side (see below to see what I'm talking about).

IMG_6377.jpg

Here you can see the fin dry-fitted to the side of the fuselage. This also makes it so that you can paint the fins and the NMF surfaces on the fuselage separately, which is super convenient as the fin dielectric panels need to be masked and painted, and would also allow any painting of camouflage to be sprayed directly at the pieces, rather than at an angle because of the other fin being in the way.

IMG_6378.jpg

I need to order some paint, so I'm going to leave this one on the side for now and work on another -29 until my AKAN paints show up.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Paint has shown up, but in between waiting, I started on another one (which was the partially finished one on top of the pile of boxes in the first picture). So it's the Italeri on the left, with the Trumpeter on the right, which I'll begin painting soon. Any guesses as to what the Italeri one will be (hint: there's still one more colour for this scheme)?

IMG_6572.JPG

• Like 1

Next colour has been added. Now to go back and touch up the lightest blue, which needs to be a bit darker. I've also switched the darkest one from Tamiya XF-50 Field Blue (doesn't look anything like the colour chip!) to Tamiya XF-18 Medium Blue (also doesn't look like the colour chip, but still lighter). I might go back over that with some lighter blue.

IMG_6600.JPG

• Like 5

Great collection of 1:72 MiG-29 kits. Have all of those myself. and built quite a dew different schemes over the years.

Just a little tip that I learned not long ago about missile load outs, is that they never flew with a mixed load of AA-8 and AA-11, as the fire control system can only handle one missile type or the other, not both at the same time, so load would be 2x AA-10, 4x AA-11 or 4x AA-8 missiles.

I'll post a couple of photos of MiG-29s I've build over the years soon.

• Like 1

I know zilch about Mig 29s but they are an interesting looking aircraft. Having had a peak inside the box of a Trumpeter one I noticed that the ailerons were offset a little, both up, is this something that the Mig 29 does on the ground in the same way as Phantom ailerons droop for example?

Duncan B

Great collection of 1:72 MiG-29 kits. Have all of those myself. and built quite a dew different schemes over the years.

Just a little tip that I learned not long ago about missile load outs, is that they never flew with a mixed load of AA-8 and AA-11, as the fire control system can only handle one missile type or the other, not both at the same time, so load would be 2x AA-10, 4x AA-11 or 4x AA-8 missiles.

I'll post a couple of photos of MiG-29s I've build over the years soon.

Here's the MiG-29s I've built so far.

27383647693_155d30c019_b.jpg1:72 MiG-29s by Ryan Hothersall, on Flickr

• Like 3

Burmese. I'll do Bangladeshi sometime too.

Cool! :thumbsup:

I'm thinking of doing a MiG-29 myself at some point. Hannants have two Linden Hill sheets listed in their Future Release section, one of which is for the 9-13 and has two Uzbek options which are decidedly tempting. :coolio:

Mike.

Cool! :thumbsup:

I'm thinking of doing a MiG-29 myself at some point. Hannants have two Linden Hill sheets listed in their Future Release section, one of which is for the 9-13 and has two Uzbek options which are decidedly tempting. :coolio:

Mike.

The sheet should be out soon. I just got mine in directly from Linden Hill. I'll be using one of the Russian, one of the Ukrainian and one of the Uzbek birds myself.

• Like 1

Just a quick update. Trying to figure out the paint scheme on the Trumpy 9-13, so back on the Myanmar 9-12 again. Did some work on the burner cans. I realize the lightning is bad, but here is a before and after shot of weathering:

IMG_6601.jpg

IMG_6602.jpg

Effect is achieved by layering Citadel and Reaper inks and washes. I used purple, blue, orange, yellow, brown and black. Each layer is initially brushed, allowed to dry, then a second coat is repeated, drybrushed lightly. I'll have a better pic of the burner cans when decals are done.

• Like 2

The lightest blue is ? Great MiG, I think zvezda made better 9.13 than trumpeter.

Rudolf, I am so sorry, I keep meaning to get you the information on the paint! It is actually figure paint from Reaper Miniatures. I had to dilute it with airbrush medium to spray properly. It's quite a hassle to prepare, but because figure paints have so much more color variety, it means I'll get consistent color without having to mix. I will make sure you get the color name.

In the meantime, landing gear is up. Ordnance, various antennas and pitot, canopy and cockpit are next (I tend to skip putting in the ejector seat and flight stick until the end).

IMG_6851.JPG

Speaking of ordnance, I have these two beauties ready to mount. I nicked them off the Hasegawa J-15 kit, along with the pylons, then grafted the mounts from the Italeri kit (so much for out-of-the-box, but I found a photo 27-06 sporting a pair and I couldn't resist). Unfortunately they mount too far to the rear, where they'd interfere with the flaps, so I need to drill new mounting holes on the wing. Looking at the Trumpeter kit, I did notice that the innermost wing pylon has two sets of mounting holes, one further forward.

IMG_6852.JPG

Does anyone have the ICM boxing of the 9-13 with Russian Swift markings, by the way?

• Like 1

Why do you want to know? :fight:

Weeeelllll.....I don't have one :whistle:

PS Rudolf, the shade of blue is 09264 "Light Blue" from Reaper Miniature's MSP series.

• Thanks 1

Excellent build.

I'll be following this as I have an Airfix and Italeri MiG-29 so hope to pick up some tips.

The only problem with MiG-29s is too many colour schemes, not enough time.......

Keep up the good work,

Mark

Nice thread, i like the italeri so far. Can't wait for the other.

We started some similar here and i'm participating with trumpeter's new kits.

Did your's was ok with the fitting in the cone area? I think radome is a little bit larger in diameter than the fuselage.

Check my photos here and here

Edited by Amen
  • Like 2

Nice thread, i like the italeri so far. Can't wait for the other.

We started some similar here and i'm participating with trumpeter's new kits.

Did your's was ok with the fitting in the cone area? I think radome is a little bit larger in diameter than the fuselage.

Check my photos here and here

I haven't fitted the nosecone yet, but I'll be doing that in a day or so and I will let you know. What is the other nose in the kit, do you happen to know? I wonder if it's for the 9-17 kit.

Anyway, the Myanmar bird is done and it's RFI time!!!

Photo%2BJul%2B17%252C%2B11%2B29%2B47%2BP

• Like 5

Right then. I'm still trying to figure out the paints for the Ukrainian 9-13, so just to keep the momentum going, I'm going to start on the Airfix jobbie. This one will be Indian.

IMG_6945.JPG

I'm aware of the larger wings, and I had contemplated cutting the wing up and taking 3mm off it, but I decided to build this without modifications as I wanted to keep going and not worry about it too much, as 99% of people wouldn't notice it (unfortunately we're mostly the 1%). I'm at peace with this and I'm just going to enjoy myself.

• Like 1