Sgt.Squarehead's 43-44 SU-152 Zveroboi Platoon

I got back into modelling about fifteen years ago when my father first became ill, my original route back into the hobby came via wargaming, hence my buying everything in platoons.....Then I discovered internet modelling and the world of aftermarket and my production rate plummeted! :doh:

However nature has provided the cure.....My eyesight is getting so bad that the difference between what I think I'm seeing (with my modelling glasses, magnifier et al.) and what I've actually made (as captured by my Sony Alpha and displayed on my humongous monitor) is becoming intolerable to me. :fraidnot:

Therefore it's back to simple OOTB wargaming builds for me.....You'll see the first of them here. :coolio:

• Like 10

Cheers guys, this may be a bit of a challenge for me, both to achieve results that I can live with and to remain motivated.....Fortunately there are a couple of new or imminent releases that will help on both fronts:

FH72025.jpg

A pair of these should be with me fairly soon. :yahoo:

Next month I shall mostly be ordering (four of) these:

MC_7220.jpg

So I think you can confidently expect to see a Pz.II Ausf L Luchs here before terribly long.....However in the mean time, this:

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-154-1964-28,_Russ

Off now to sweep a layer of dust (and brutally hacked up IJA autogyro pilot figures) off my desk and get some fresh plastic out. :blush:

• Like 10

Well I wouldn't say never, but it's going back in the box for now.....Never really touched the autogyro itself (apart from cleaning up a bucket-load of flash), just messed around with the crew figures until I was thoroughly disillusioned with it all. :weep:

Let's see if I can finish something that I actually like (rather than something that I bought on a whim because it was cute and because Finemolds are supposed to be good kits).....And then see where we are. :winkgrin:

Well, for my SU-152, I'm going to have to do what I said I wouldn't.....There's simply no option, other than building the Pegasus kit OOTB with shonky single piece tracks and that just ain't gonna happen, I do have certain standards to maintain. :winkgrin:

When I said OOTB and wargaming, I should have mentioned that most of those boxes are from Dragon, MaCo, Flyhawk and so on. :mental:

Anyhow a kit-bash it has to be and it's one I've long wanted to do, so I'll be grafting the Pegasus upper hull onto a PST KV-1S lower.....Here are the sacrificial lambs kits I'll be using:

Untitled-1_zpsejlvfsxc.jpg

• Like 8

My preliminary assessment of the parts suggests I may have to alter my plan slightly.....Fortunately the new one is simpler. :thumbsup:

The proportions and layout of the two kits upper/lower hulls are sufficiently different that the surgery will be at best, awkward. However the running gear of the Pegasus kit is better than expected featuring seperate inner roadwheels & suspension arms and very fortunately the roadwheels are the same diameter (more or less) as the (somewhat erratic) PST parts. Therefore I'll be fitting PST track, sprockets, idlers & outer roadwheels to the Pegasus hull and inner roadwheels/suspension arms. :nerd:

• Like 1

Interesting is one word. :winkgrin:

Actually I think it should be pretty simple.....Here's the route I'm taking:

SU-152%20-%2002_zpskowvpy4c.jpg

Exactly as described above, it's the PST outer roadwheel (had to sand the back down to get a reasonable spacing) on the Pegasus inner roadwheel and suspension arm (I improved this slightly with a small razor saw cut to seperate the suspension arm from the inner roadwheel).....It still needs some cleaning up, but I reckon it's up to spec. :coolio:

I've got a few more of these fellas to make (the observant amongst you will have noticed I'm doing two).....I'll be back when I've made 'em all. :frantic:

• Like 8

SU-152%20-%2002_zpskowvpy4c.jpg

I improved this slightly with a small razor saw cut to seperate the suspension arm from the inner roadwheel

Neat.

I've got a few more of these fellas to make (the observant amongst you will have noticed I'm doing two).....I'll be back when I've made 'em all. :frantic:

The pleasure of building tanks :crosseyed:

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 1

Right now I'm waiting on my Zvezda ISU-152, so we'll have at least two Zveroboiy variants for the GB - the SU-152 (yours) and the ISU-152 (mine). Best of luck on yours!

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1

I'm looking forward to seeing your Zvezda kit, I've got their Panthers & IS-2s and quite how they got the QB monicker I fail to comprehend. If the ISU-152 is as good as the IS-2, it'll be the best on the market, by some margin. :coolio:

• Like 1

I don't think anyone could build that kit quickly and do it justice.....It's got some really neat features that make life easier, but a quick build it never was and never should be TBH. :coolio:

css3-progress-bar-stripes.png

One full assault guns worth of bogies are done so I'll mock them up on a lower hull once they've fully hardened up and take some piccies, see how they look.....However my poor old eyes have gone all wibbly, so that's it for a little while! :hypnotised:

• Like 1