TF-86 Sabre Trainer

Courageous

Hi Guys,

I've aquired the vacuform kit to build an TF-86. Can anybody supply/ point to images of the cockpit layout or am I going to get away with fitting 2 tubs?

TIA

Stuart

Edited by Courageous

Stuart,

Good luck! Like you, I have the Falcon conversion, but have been unable so far to find any cockpit photos or drawings; all of the ones I have been able to find are external shots and it looks like a second cockpit identical to the front one was fitted, but I can't guarantee that. Which TF-86 are you planning to build? The first of the two, 52-5016,which was built from a dash 30, had the standard slatted wing and no armament or ventral fin. It was lost along with the pilot in a crash. The second, 53-1228 ,which was built from a dash 35, had a ventral fin, taller fin, 2 .50 caliber guns and the extended-span, 6-3 F40 wing with slats. As you are probably aware, the overall length on both was increased by 5 feet 2.6 inches, and the wings were moved forward by 10 inches. I don't recall if the Falcon conversion fuselage is for the 1st or the 2nd example, as my vacforms are all up in my attic. If I can find any cockpit references, I'll post them- please do the same if you have any success! There are some good b&w photos of both aircraft as well as a very nice color photo of 1228 in Norm Avery's NAA Aircraft 1934-1998, volume 1. IIRC, 1228 served as a chase aircraft at Edwards AB for many years and was scrapped at the end of its service.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler

Hi Mike,

The intention is to do 53-1228 as that's what the vacuform is for. It calls for the donor kit to be the Heller kit which I have but haven't got that out of the box to see if it's the best option. What do you think? I might push the boat out and get resin cockpits? I also fancy doing the canopy up, must be the same as the 'dog'? I'm hoping that I'll get going on it later in the year...when I've finished the FCAF F2, RAF F4, USAF 'E' and SAAF 'F-10'. Will keep an eye out for cockpit views.

Hi Tony,

From the photo's I've seen, the wings are slatted but how sure are you that it's a standard wing as opposed to -40?

Stuart

I dunno,

The color pic that shows the plan view of 1228 in flight on page 106 of the Norm Avery book that I alluded to in my post clearly shows the extended span F40 wing, along with slats, although it does have the cranked pitot tube. I can't really tell from the photo, but it looks like the wing has the extended chord, and the slats and the extended wingtips with the aileron cutout ending at the wingtip extension versus extending to the edge of the wingtip are also clearly visible. Possible explanations being one- that the F-40 wing extension was added to the standard chord slatted wing, thus the cranked pitot; or two- that the 6-3 slatted F40 wing was installed at some point. With 1228's long service at Edwards as a chase aircraft, perhaps the original wing was replaced at some point in time? No definitive information in all of my references, and I'm no Sabre expert, but I'm going by the photos. It's also much more highly polished than in the photo you attached above. Maybe if somebody else has the color photo they can confirm or dispute.

Mike

I have attached a link to fellow Texas modeler Phil Friddell's blog; if you scroll down to the section on Sabres, you can see a color photo of 1228, circa 1958, when at Edwards AB as a chase aircraft- nice scheme, with the nose band, flght test chevron on the fin, and the crest on the fuselage; unfortuntely, it doesn't show the wing fitted very clearly, nor the ventral fin added while in service. There are much larger color photos of 1228 in this scheme, if you search the 'net, using TF-86F 53-1128, but none are in flight that show the wing type as well as the NAA photo I used in my earlier post. Sorry!

http://replicainscale.blogspot.com/2011/05/there-are-things-we-just-wont-do-wulf.html

Edited by 72modeler

short chord original wing;

http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7152/6750386275_de570abace.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d4/2b/08/d42b08fa5c6e996593b7f67c6bb3a7ae.jpg

It is possible to replace a standard wing or a 6-3 wing with a -40 wing. Hawk One flying in Canada is a Sabre Mk5 that has been re-winged with a -40 wing. It is not possible to add the -40 extensions to a standard wing. It is a completely new wing.

It would be nice to see this pic from the Avery book.

Cheers, Tony

Edited by Tony Edmundson

Tony,

If you will PM me, I can attach a scan of the photo for you to examine and comment on, Sorry I don't have the capabiity at present to attach to my posts.

Mike

All,

Like lost things in our hobby, it is very fluid and everybody could be right, depends on time frame.

If one is going to do the red nose job, where/ what is the crest on fuselage and tail? :shrug:

Tony,

I wasn't aware that the -40 was an all new wing and not just an extension...with all the -40's I want to do, that's a lot Fujimi kits needed. :hmmm: