1/72 Zvezda Pe-8 - COMPLETE

Very nice models Ken :thumbsup:.

I like the photo comparing it to a a Lancaster. It seems to be more in the Short Stirling league, but it is so substantial in the fuselage too. A Stirling or Lanc looks 'skinny' in comparison.

I have the Amodel polar aviation version in the stash. All of this inspires me to build it. I have built many Amodel kits, but never a four engined one.

Many of the early kits, although very good in outline, demand large amounts of filler. I wonder how well this huge beast fits together? Do I need to buy shares in model putty :D?

It seems your Zvezda has gone together well Alexey? I can't see much evidence of filler/putty in the build.

All best regards

Tony

Thanks chaps :)

It looks like you're going to beat the finish date.

I hope so but no guarantees. Time is an issue

Did you buy the canopy masks or make them Alexey? There are many frames there.

Eduard is your friend

here it is next to a Lancaster....

Blimey, that was supposed to be my shot :)

Okay, I will place it next to XB-35, Farman-223 or Zeppelin Staaken :)

did you have any trouble getting the masking tape to stick to the canopy ??

Nope, not at all. I used Eduard masks and some masking tape, I don't remember the brand but it is not Tamiya, both stick well.

But I'm with those who don't like Zvezda's transparent plastic too mostly because it is impossible to polish.

No problem with paining either, maybe because I prime everything with Mr.Surfacer

I wonder how well this huge beast fits together?

Very well for the kit of that size, I only used a very small amount of liquid putty. There are a couple of bumps here and there but nothing that can't be cured in 5 minutes with several strokes of 400-grit sandpaper

3D prototyping is to blame :)

• Like 1

On her feet

PICT0867.JPGPICT0868.JPGPICT0869.JPGPICT0870.JPG

A coat of Klear and toucha-toucha-toucha-touch me, I want to be dirty

PICT0871.JPGPICT0872.JPGPICT0873.JPGPICT0874.JPG

Added fin struts to FAB-2000 bomb

PICT0875.JPG

Here comes trouble. Tried to put a coat of matt varnish - the airbrush get clogged. Okay, how about I try Tamiya acryllic flat varnish? Blimey, it gave some whitish frost. Damn, sanded it down with water, tried different pressures, distances and dillusion proportions all with the same outcome - ugly white frost. So I decided to revive my old varnish that happened to be XTracryllic. Clogging problem occurs when particles glue to each other and become too large to get through the nozzle. Course of action - stir better, filter and dillute more, so I used power tools for stirring :)

PICT0876.JPGPICT0877.JPG

Added some more dirt

PICT0880.JPGPICT0881.JPGPICT0882.JPG

PICT0879.JPG

As the GB was extended I will definitely have enough time to finish her - not much left

• Like 4

Good save on the varnish there.

What is it with Matt varnishes? They all seem to be quite prone to be tricky. 

I havent tried it yet but I bought some Windsor & Newton Matt, on recommendation of CedB and a couple of others. Might be worth a try one day Alexey?

Good luck with the weathering, a stage that fills me with fear :door: .

All the best

TonyT

Sorry I totally missed this WIP Alexey,what a superb build of a very interesting aircraft,a rare aircraft and kit to be seen despite the

excellent reviews it get's and very reasonable price.

A. Mazing. That's a monumental build. And you have maintained an amazing and consistent level of detail all the way through. I will be browsing through those pictures quite a bit more to appreciate all the little touches you have put in.

Marvellous, regards,

Adrian