1/72 Zvezda Pe-8 - COMPLETE

I'm looking forwards to this Alexey. I have one in the stash; it's a huge aircraft! :)

Nice photo-etch.

:popcorn:

Best regards

Tony

• 4 weeks later...

Always wanted to see one of these being built.....Had one (this one), sold it. Bought another (Stalin's Plane), gone off it.....Want the TB-7 instead. :mental:

PS - This (& eBay) is precisely how I wound up with three He.177s and half a dozen Liberators! :doh:

• Like 2

I'm the same Sgt. I bought this, and the Stalin one, was overwhelmed by both and decided to buy the 'Arctic' one by Amodel! Now I'm scared of that as I don't know what colour yellow/orange to paint it! Result - all three are in the ridiculously huge stash. It's an illness, it really is :D.

Good to see one being built....

Tony

• Like 2

Sadly, I only have one of these beasts, although I am tempted to buy the radial-engined (Shevtsov M-82 engines) Amodel version. That amount of PE is... intimidating.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1

Wanna swap your copy of this one for a He.177 & a Liberator? :hmmm::P;)

I think we mustn't hijack Pin's thread. I'll send you a PM :)

Back on topic, Pin, where were you able to purchase the photo-etch? That brand is new to me.

Best regards

Tony

Thanks chaps :)

I also have AModel kit (polar version), its surface details look much better than Zvezda's.

Some people say that it is more accurate too but it must be taken into account that each of roughly a hundred planes built there were no two identical twins, each plane has its own features and Zvezda represents somewhat an "averaged" plane (and so does AModel)

As to ON - "Stalin's" version - there is no evidence that Stalin ever flew it. He was aefophobic (looks like a common dictator feature) and prefered american built DC-3 when flying was an absolute necessity. Both ONs were eventually assigned to polar aviation.

There is an ultimate Pe-8 reference thread that sums up all (I mean it - ALL) publicly available information. I afraid one needs to read Russian or know hiw to use online translators:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_3492_start_0.html

I bought Gonza set here:

http://modelsua.com/Petlyakov-Pe-8-PE-set-for-Zvezda-kit-1-72-GONZA-72182.html

Anatoliy (Mr. Gonza) has his own blog where he displays his offerings:

http://pe-set-gonza.blogspot.co.uk

It's a shame but most of the parts will not be visible once the canopy is closed

• Like 3

Thank you for the information Pin. I'm becoming inspired to build the Polar aviation version I have in the stash. The colour on the box is very nice, I may just emulate that.
The crews of these aircraft faced little chance of survival in WWII. The link you gave shows that once the Germans had ground radar, the poor chaps faced a loss rate of 46%! :o
The history to this plane is fascinating, it makes this build all the more interesting.
Best regards
Tony

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Spent a lot of time building the interior

Gonza etched parts are absolutely magnificent but almost useless as very little will be eventually visible

I was doing that mostly for the sake of my enjoyment

PICT0845.JPG.27ddd80e02006472b55a8bea1f0

PICT0846.JPG.5f9f21ec612ad89edb18d7abae7

PICT0847.JPG.478921c537958513a4c900b2d42

PICT0848.JPG.6fe48c325adf598d566bfec3741

PICT0849.JPG.261f185df096518d9f52d28aee5

PICT0850.JPG.452ac217b01e3429946aedbe9d1

PICT0851.JPG.8f8587e134d413f3c17ddb56eea

The beast is truly big

PICT0852.JPG.9e93ad6ef491e3bac95c6226e4b

• Like 6

Very nice work Alexey. It is a very impressive aircraft. Really good to see this progressing, it must be the largest in the GB ;)

Best regards

Tony

• 4 weeks later...

Super progress! It looks like you're going to beat the finish date. Did you buy the canopy masks or make them Alexey? There are many frames there.

It's really good to see one of these huge, heavy aircraft being built :thumbsup:.

Looking forward to the topside camoflauge,

Best regards

Tony

It's really good to see one of these huge, heavy aircraft being built :thumbsup:.

Tony

I've built THREE - the Zvezda and Amodel versions.......

pe-8_02.jpg

Plus the old Contrail vacform......

Pe-8_27.jpg

How big is it? you ask... here it is next to a Lancaster....

pe-8_01.jpg

Great progress Alexey :thumbsup: - did you have any trouble getting the masking tape to stick to the canopy ??

I had loads of trouble with my Zvezda glazing - which seems to be made from an odd polycarbon that didn't like Tamiya tape nor paint!!

Ken

• Like 2