Hasegawa Ju88A-14 'Geissman'

My entry for this GB is Hasegawa's Ju88A-14 'Geissman'. As far as I can ascertain the A-14 was the same as the A-4 but with a modified forward gondola, mounting a MG FF 20mm cannon. I have no references for Ju88's other than what's in general reference books so no doubt questions may arise during the build. The aircraft was piloted by Johannes Geissman of Kg77 (Aug 42) and from the markings on the tail, this was an anti shipping unit.

I've already built Hasegawa's Ju188, so I'm expecting this to be as good. I've assembled a few bits for this build to aid painting and add some small enhancements. I've got the Eduard Zoom etch set for the Ju88A-4 but I can't see there being much difference in the cockpit of an A-4 or A-14, so this will provide the instrument panel and seatbelts. I've also got Eduard's excellent Brassin wheels as the kit wheels come in 2 halves, which is something I don't like. I've also got Eduard's Ju88A-4 Canopy mask, for obvious reasons and there's a camouflage mask on order. I used a camouflage mask on my Airfix Do-17Z and it worked brilliantly and saved loads of time and effort.

I've taken a pic to show the forward gondola and MG FF barrel, to highlight the different between this and the A-4.

thanks

Mike

tumblr_inline_o78g30gU8X1u2mcb6_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_o78g2oGHEr1u2mcb6_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_o78g2aNyJG1u2mcb6_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_o78g22eDf61u2mcb6_500.jpg

• Like 4

Nice.

Last model aircraft I ever finished, years ago now, was Italeri's Ju-88A-4. I just stuck a spare barrel for the 20mm, didn't even reckon on the shape being different. The markings had a large skeletal hand under each side of the cockpit which dropped to bits on application, ended up a mixture of decal and paint!

Good to see you here Mike .

A big thank you for the fantastic service in getting me the resin parts for my dragon g6 Berlin build :thumbsup2:

Agree that a paint mask set for the splinter is money well spent as the 88 splinter is a difficult job to wrap around .

Cheers

Alistair

• Like 1

I like the looks of a Ju 88 with the MG-FF sticking out below the nose glazing. I haven´t seen any pictures of the Geismann plane but I wonder why Hasegawa instructions tell you to cut away the spent cartridge chute (?) from part S2 if the plane was an A-14, not an A-4 with The Gun, just like the Finnish AF had. Regards, V-P

They certainly do tell you to chop something off the front of S2.

I have the camouflage mask now and I've made up the cockpit, although it's not too clear in the pics. I've just taken the pics with all the light the morning can muster, plus the room lights and they still haven't come out too well.

thanks

Mike

tumblr_inline_o7kn5sqeoN1u2mcb6_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_o7kn6qy6BD1u2mcb6_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_o7kn5olw7v1u2mcb6_500.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks guys.

I've built up the fuselage, which needs a little putty and seam lines sanded and I've built up one of the wings. I'll see about getting the second wing done next and the filling and sanding of the fuselage. It's not quite as well fitting a kit as you'd expect from Hasegawa but it's not the worst by a long way. I'm tempted to build my Revell C-6 as a comparison and then a Zvezda A-17 and then I'll be able to have an opinion on which one is best to build (as oppose to the most accurate!).

In case anyone was wondering I ended up with this kit as I had a Hasegawa A-4 in the stash but when this came out, I though this was a little more interesting as everyone made A-4 kits, so I swapped to get the A-14. This of course was before Revell brought their A-4 out. So if the C-6 builds up nicely, I may also buy the Revell A-4. This is a bit like the German equivalent of the Mossie for me, it's a brilliant and interesting aircraft and made in a great number of variants that you are really tempted into buying many of them! What we really need is a Battle of Britain Ju88 from someone, which can be built OOB without us having to worry about converting this that and the other and whether we're doing thing correctly, if you get what I mean!

thanks

Mike

Edited by Mikemx

Thanks guys.

I've built up the fuselage, which needs a little putty and seam lines sanded and I've built up one of the wings. I'll see about getting the second wing done next and the filling and sanding of the fuselage. It's not quite as well fitting a kit as you'd expect from Hasegawa but it's not the worst by a long way. I'm tempted to build my Revell C-6 as a comparison and then a Zvezda A-17 and then I'll be able to have an opinion on which one is best to build (as oppose to the most accurate!).

In case anyone was wondering I ended up with this kit as I had a Hasegawa A-4 in the stash but when this came out, I though this was a little more interesting as everyone made A-4 kits, so I swapped to get the A-14. This of course was before Revell brought their A-4 out. So if the C-6 builds up nicely, I may also buy the Revell A-4. This is a bit like the German equivalent of the Mossie for me, it's a brilliant and interesting aircraft and made in a great number of variants that you are really tempted into buying many of them! What we really need is a Battle of Britain Ju88 from someone, which can be built OOB without us having to worry about converting this that and the other and whether we're doing thing correctly, if you get what I mean!

thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

If you have not yet built the wings check the landing gear position first! Straight from the kit main gears fits too far back when compared to the landing gear opening. It should not be a too big problem to fix before joining the wing half's together. Don't ask when I did realize this!

Despite this my choice of a Ju 88 over Revell.

Greetings,

AaCee

Bit of a slow build is this one. The fit of the kit is a little disappointing with almost every join needing filling and sanding to a degree, particularly when it comes to the wings. I'm starting to think I should have built my Revell C-6 instead! Anyway, All the main construction is done and I've masked off the cockpit and any other openings and given it a quick blast with the Halfords primer to hide all the sanding and filling.

The next step will be to build up and mask the canopy and gondola so I can get on with painting it.

thanks

Mike

tumblr_inline_o7xrlul9t81u2mcb6_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_o7xrljdbXx1u2mcb6_500.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

My build has paused, due to my impending flat move, starting this coming weekend. Since the last pics, all the glazed areas and gondola are glued on and masked and sprayed RLM66. However, I need to do a little sanding and filling on the gondola before I can do anything else but this could be in a few weeks time!

thanks

Mike