Polish SU-20R Budget build!

Hi all,

I have only 1 eligible kit, the Mistercraft SU-20R

P1050424_zpsmvr95xhd.jpg

As you can see, this is the 'Last Flight' boxing which includes two 90's Polish recon machines. All the kit schemes are 90s, but after looking at references the aircraft in Polish service received the Soviet style tri-colour camo schemes 'in the USSR'. Whilst I haven't been able to find a dated photograph to confirm it, I am sure the aircraft looked basically the same in the late 80s. If someone proves me wrong, the kit includes enough generic Polish decals to finish the kit in the earlier silver scheme. I might just do this anyway as it looks cool...

So on to the kit. This one is a pocket-money kit recently re-released by Mistercraft, who were formerly known as Mastercraft, and the kit has been going around the houses for years before even they got their hands on it.

To commend it, the plastic seems smooth, no flash to speak of, and the details are quite finely recessed.

P1050425_zpsrz420vc8.jpg

P1050426_zpssbnrr4d1.jpg

P1050427_zpsn7ibu30a.jpg

On the negative side, the wheels are very crude (I think I might replace these), the canopy is very thick (sadly no vacform available) and the cockpit/ wheel well non-existent. Not enough to condemn such a cheap kit.

Mistercraft have comitted their usual sin of emulating more expensive manufacturers by including things such as a box lid slogan of 'Super Decal Included'- an obvious rip off of Italeri style- when the simple rubbish decal sheet is nothing of the sort. Also, their instructions closely copy the current Modelsvit style- gratuitously implying superb moulded detail that simply isn't there! Very dishonest, and would easily fool a customer who didn't know better.

Here's a good example:

Instructions...

P1050429_zpsmfdeoclu.jpg

and what the kit includes...

P1050431_zpsjswlso6i.jpg

I will build this as simply as possible, adding a bit of detail strictly from the spares box.

Keep it Simple, Stupid...

Will

• Like 6

Loving the honesty!

Beat it into submission with the thrashing it deserves. :)

Well, I like to get my excuses in early. To be honest most of tonight's session has been working out what parts are what- the callouts build up a K-36 seat, but the sprues have different parts!

This is the [basic] office as supplied. H'mm think I need to break out the plastic card... Remember- no aftermarket allowed!

P1050435_zpsmndmbpts.jpg

Incidentally, the decals include a silver machine- number 7125, which after a bit of reading just so happens to be the ONLY Polish Su-20 airframe of the lot which was NOT wired up to carry the recon pod that is included in this 'R' boxing of the kit...

Will

• Like 1

Those Mistercraft Fitters are great.... instructions showing different parts to what's provided, paint chart showing only 1 side of aircraft for some schemes, really good wing sweep mechanism that stops working as soon as you glue the hump on...... brings back memories alright !

Those Mistercraft Fitters are great.... really good wing sweep mechanism that stops working as soon as you glue the hump on...... brings back memories alright !

Thanks, that's worth watching out for as I was planning on using the working wing sweep to help me mask off the natural metal sweeping wing roots!

Bit disappointing, as part of me was really looking forward to playing with the wing sweep when I did strafing runs of the wife sitting on the sofa... Oh well...

Will

Thanks, that's worth watching out for as I was planning on using the working wing sweep to help me mask off the natural metal sweeping wing roots!

Bit disappointing, as part of me was really looking forward to playing with the wing sweep when I did strafing runs of the wife sitting on the sofa... Oh well...

Will

don't worry, to be fair it was more down to me being over-enthusiastic with the glue than the sweep mechanism itself.... :whistle: ​

don't worry, to be fair it was more down to me being over-enthusiastic with the glue than the sweep mechanism itself.... :whistle: ​

Good news- but I bet I'll end up doing the same!

Just working on one myself and found the canopy's way too big! No idea what to do about that...

The problems just keep coming don't they? I feel like I'm running a support group rather than a build thread.... :weep:

Anyway, a wee bit of progress:

decided the cockpit isn't worth working on- the cockpit opening is tiny, and the canopy not all that clear. So I painted up a pilot from the spares box and make up a couple of cushions for the old chap to sit on...

P1050442_zpsltwgnxvv.jpg

P1050443_zpshw3d7iec.jpg

This is the first model to which I've ever added a pilot, so I thought what the heck, why not save myself some time, and the build the whole thing wheels-up?

Well, once again- fit issues- the kit doors just don't fit the openings at all. I think the SU-17 had multi-part doors, and the kit part represents everything in 'on ground' configuration. Maybe! It could just be that the kit parts don't fit...

So I found my thickest plasticard (1.5mm), held it over the wheel bay, and sprayed some primer over the hole- giving me nice sharp templates to cut out. The excessive thickness allowed me to glue it all slightly proud so I can sand the doors perfectly flush with the wing skin.

P1050441_zps8kudsano.jpg

Getting there- and at least now I can throw out about half the remaining parts...

Will

Edited by Killingholme
  • Like 2