Airfix 1/12 Bentley Blower

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys.

A small update. Sprayed Molotow Liquid Chrome on the radiator shell. The liquid chrome was thinned with approximately half Mr. Hobby Levelling Thinner. While Alclad Chrome requires light misting coats onto a glossy surface, Molotow requires just a sanded smooth primed surface. I achieved the effect below my laying on a few layers in quick succession. First layer will not appear nice, with some uneven effect which gave me a scare. Then after 2 more coats, I got the effect I was after. SinceI diluted with 50% thinner, the coats were pretty light anyway. I think the trick is to get enough coats on.

20170516_212413.jpg

20170516_212415.jpg

Before the 50:50 mix, I tried 100% Liquid Chrome. I found that it went on way too thick.

Below is a picture of a scrap piece.

20170516_212028.jpg

Scrap piece coated with acrylic gloss. Significant dulling of the chrome. I wanted to test how the chrome goes onto untreated parts. Must say that it's very good as even the wooden handle of the brush has good shine.

20170516_213657.jpg

Top part coated with acrylic gloss vs bottom part uncoated. The bottom part was chromed right from the sprue, so please ignore the less than perfect appearance.

20170516_213812.jpg

I tried handling the chromed parts after 3 days drying. While handling doesn't remove the chrome (it's much more durable than Alclad), it does have some minor dulling effect. 

If any dust gets onto the part while spraying, wait a couple of days for it to dry, then sand it. You can spray on the chrome again and it'll still look good.

Regards,

Jeremy

Edited by Jnkm13
  • Like 6

That really does 'look' the business :thumbsup:

Nice one for the tips on using the Molotow :)

Just for reference....what psi did you spray it at?

Ron

Edited by silver911
grammar

Hi, Jeremy - that really does look the part - quick question though? .................. How durable is it? ... Does it require coating,  and does it retain it's finish if you do coat it ( as opposed to "greying off")?

TIA.

Thanks for looking in guys.

4 hours ago, silver911 said:

That really does 'look' the business :thumbsup:

Nice one for the tips on using the Molotow :)

Just for reference....what psi did you spray it at?

Ron

Hi Ron, I sprayed it at 15 PSI.

1 hour ago, Little Andi said:

Hi, Jeremy - that really does look the part - quick question though? .................. How durable is it? ... Does it require coating,  and does it retain it's finish if you do coat it ( as opposed to "greying off")?

TIA.

Hi Andi, the finish is not that durable. I handled some parts after 48 hours and it does affect the shine a little. Even so, it's miles more durable compared to Alclad, and more importantly way easier to achieve the desired finish. It quite fool-proof.

I only have Mr.Hobby Super Clear and Mr. Hobby Acrysion Clear. The Acrysion clear does dull the finish. I did not try Super Clear. 

The radiator casing will not be handled much, so I won't be coating it. Just hoping that the finish doesn't dull over time.

Regards,

Jeremy

• Like 2

That radiator shell does look good....thanks for the heads up on the Alclad. I bought their Chrome specifically for my build but may now rethink as I've seen a couple of posts mentioning how easily it rubs off.

Did you use a spare Bentley badge when you raised it, or did you somehow manage to reuse the one you removed?

Ian

Hi Ian,

Molotow chrome is no where as fragile as Alclad, but it will be affected by handling as well. It takes quite a long time to dry. I place it near the window for sun bathing for a few days, turning it periodically.

The Bentley badge was from the kit. I was lucky enough I manage to salvage it when first removed. I had a few layers of primer and then gloss black on the shell before Molotow chrome. Problem with Molotow chrome is that it needs to flood the part before the chrome gets its shine. This affected the detail on the badge. So I rubbed off the chrome only on the badge right down to bare plastic using lacquer thinner. It was then just getting the right amount of molotow chrome on the badge so that the details are still visible.

Regards,

Jeremy  

12 hours ago, Jnkm13 said:

So I rubbed off the chrome only on the badge right down to bare plastic using lacquer thinner. It was then just getting the right amount of molotow chrome on the badge so that the details are still visible.

Just a note of caution Jeremy. If applied too heavily, lacquer thinner will cause plastic to craze. Molowtow can be removed easily with isopropyl without harm to plastic.

If you coat the molotow parts with lacquer or even Gunze/Tamiya acrylic it will dull quite bad, however if you use Alclad aqua gloss it still stays bright, not as well as uncovered but it allows handling of the part.

Gunz/Tamiya paints have ipa as a thinner and this eats into th motolow stuff like crazy.Have washed off motolow finish with ipa when I have made a mistake with it.

13 hours ago, Codger said:

Just a note of caution Jeremy. If applied too heavily, lacquer thinner will cause plastic to craze. Molowtow can be removed easily with isopropyl without harm to plastic.

Sorry, should have been more clear. The thinner I used was Mr. Hobby Levelling Thinner which I think is less agressive compared to commercial lacquer thinner.

• 2 years later...