Airfix 1/12 Bentley Blower

Me too. I built one of these many years ago ( straight out of the box ) but when I went to retrieve it from the loft for the move to France it had been crushed under something heavy. 

I have often been tempted to get another one, but I read somewhere that the moulds have not stood up well to the passage of time, is yours an original or one of the later releases.

Cheers

John

Thanks guys.

@silver911 Ron, thanks for the suggestion. Will check it out.

@Biggles87 John, the kit I have is the latest rebox. I think the main differences are the number 9, number plate and chrome finishing.

Some parts that were chromed on the original like the dash board was not chromed in the rebox.

They also used a much tougher chrome which couldn't be removed using chlorox nor oven cleaner. I had to use etching liquid to remove the chrome. After removing the chrome, the parts were extremely brittle. Not sure if it's supposed to be like that or affected by the etching liquid.

@Little Andi It was your build that inspried me to try some weathering. Thanks!

Regards,

Jeremy

1 hour ago, Jnkm13 said:

@Little Andi It was your build that inspried me to try some weathering. Thanks!

You're welcome, I'm hoping to update that thread sometime soon. .................... and of course, I shall return the compliment by plagiarising some of the solutions that you have employed in this thread.

Sincerest form of flattery and all that ......................... ;)

The dash wasn't chromed on the original, it was aluminium coloured plastic. (I have the motor and all the extras with my kit, received as a pressy  in the late '70's).

I second the comment about the chrome though, the replacement radiator shell I got had indestructible chrome on it, I had to pick it off with a scalpel!

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Small update. Been working on the front end for the past week. Alot of modification was done to the horns. The kit supplied parts are no where close to the actual ones. The horizontal brace and stone guard was scratch built. The horns were modified so they locked the brace into place, and the stone guard was then pinned into place via the attachment points on the number plate and one attachment point on the brace.

20170418_213303.jpg

Regards,

Jeremy

• Like 8

Wow, you are doing a cracking job on this, I have this kit also, I bought it about 15 years ago and haven't had the man bells to start it yet :) lots of great advice and tips on how to do a great job on it here though!

Cheers,

Andy

Thanks guys! Much appreciated.

Worked on the 'attachment points' for the tonneau cover. They are basically a combination of 0.8mm and 0.6mm ally tube, with a small rivet on the top.

The 0.8m tube goes into the hole drilled on the body. The inner 0.6mm tube slides freely, so the height can be adjusted.

Be warned that doing these are damaging to the eyes. I got one side done, and will do the other side tomorrow.

20170419_220808.jpg

20170419_220759.jpg

Regards,

Jeremy

• Like 4

Lovely job with the stoneguard and the tonneau clips are the dog's......

Where did you run the oil line on top of the blower To?

Ian

Ian, the oil line will go under the radiator casing. It will be terminated there since once the radiator is in place it's impossible to see where the line goes.The line is not permanently fixed, so it can be removed and extended if I need to attach the other end. 

There are also 2 lines running on the left side of the engine. I suspect one of it connects to the blower. I have done up these 2 lines and although there are not connected the the blower, the run towards the radiator and then bend downwards. So it will still look connected to the line from the blower. Shall post pics of this later.

Regards,

Jeremy

Managed to get some work done on the tonneau. I am quite happy with this, so shall keep it as it is. The lighting somehow highlights and magnifies the grain of the leather in the photos, but it is not that obvious.

20170422_230028.jpg

20170422_230012.jpg

20170422_230003.jpg

Regards,

Jeremy

• Like 6

Thanks for the compliments. I wouldn't have attempted all these if it was not for all the stunning work going on here, especially the many inspirational Pocher builds.

Here's some updates. Various small parts being fabricated and the screen completed. 

20170425_225151.jpg

Straps and buckles on the hood.These are not completed yet.

20170425_225421.jpg

The side engine panel catches are made using various ally tubes and are movable.

20170425_225429.jpg

I don't know what these are called, but they are "L" angles for the side hood panels to sit into place. The dark brownish part as supposed to be dampeners.

20170425_225435.jpg

Any C&C is most welcomed.

Regards,

Jeremy

Edited by Jnkm13

On 4/26/2017 at 0:34 AM, Codger said:

A thought about the tonneau. IF you fancied the look, a bit of black or clear boot polish, lightly brushed or buffed would increase the leather sheen. Worked on my upholstery...

Thanks for the tip. Shall give this a try.

• Like 1