Airfix 1/12 Bentley Blower

Hi guys,

Just sharing my latest WIP. Having tons of fun detailing this kit.

Engine has been painted mainly with metallic paints, AK Interactive's waxes and some AK weathering washes. I'm trying to keep the weathering subtle just to give it a used look. The weathering looks much heavier than what is appearing in the pics, not sure why.

DSC_0453.jpg

DSC_0454.jpg

DSC_0455.jpg

DSC_0456.jpg

DSC_0457.jpg

The fan and some other parts were scratch built, and some pipes were replaced with ally tubes. Most nuts and bolts were replaced with MENG model's nut & bolts set.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Regards,

Jeremy

• Like 8

Yes Roy, there are quite a few of these on this forum. Would also like to thank you for the references you have provided.I have compiled all the info and will incorporate them into this build.

There are tons of references available, and they are different from one car to another, and also period variations. So I'll be basing mine on the no.9 car by Amalgam.

Jeremy

Very promising. I like the light weathering you used. I have this one in my stack. Taking notes of all the builds happening here.

Can you elaborate a bit on the use of the AK waxes? On which parts did you use them?

Well done Jeremy. Cracking start. Look forward to see all your details. Go for it !

IMHO This is one car very few people got the original colors right. But everybody has the right to choose a different color :shutup:

Also the challenge of the leather on the body and inside !

VT i think has some good pictures.

Edited by sharknose156

Very promising. I like the light weathering you used. I have this one in my stack. Taking notes of all the builds happening here.

Can you elaborate a bit on the use of the AK waxes? On which parts did you use them?

Pouln, I used the steel and dark aluminium waxes mainly on the rivets, nuts and bolts. But they are not that obvious in the photos and the washes tone down the differences in colour. I think i'll need a black background to have the photos look sharper.

That's looking very nice so far! Popcorn ordered!

Ian

Ian, to be honest, I copied a lot from your build, so there are tons of similarities. Thanks!

Jeremy

Well done Jeremy. Cracking start. Look forward to see all your details. Go for it !

IMHO This is one car very few people got the original colors right. But everybody has the right to choose a different color :shutup:

Also the challenge of the leather on the body and inside !

VT i think has some good pictures.

Sam, i'll be using Gravity's Bentley Blower green on this. Looking at the bottle, it doesn't look that dark, but i'll be trying on grey primer. If the colour is not dark enough, then i'll use black primer.

I'm basing my build on this one.

http://finemodelcars.com/product/bentley-birkin-blower-1929/

Figured that since Amalgam's was based on scanning the original car (at least that's what they claimed), it's as close as i can get.

Jeremy

• Like 1

Hi guys. SInce my war zone of a workspace doesn't allow good WIP photos. I will add some notes to the photos. I'll be glad to answer any questions. I used quite alot of ally tubes in my build. I bought a pack of aluminium tube assortment from Micromark, and they have been absolutely invaluable in this build. Though i usually work in the metric system and the tubes come in imperial units, they work fine with metric drills.

DSC_0454-1.jpg

DSC_0455-1.jpg

DSC_0457-1.jpg

Regards,

Jeremy

• Like 4

Sam, i'll be using Gravity's Bentley Blower green on this. Looking at the bottle, it doesn't look that dark, but i'll be trying on grey primer. If the colour is not dark enough, then i'll use black primer.

I'm basing my build on this one.

http://finemodelcars.com/product/bentley-birkin-blower-1929/

Figured that since Amalgam's was based on scanning the original car (at least that's what they claimed), it's as close as i can get.

Jeremy

Excellent choice.

on the a/b i don t get uneven streaks. I have never tried the trigger airbrush. howver i am thinking of getting a spraygun from iwata

Edited by sharknose156

Lovely work Jeremy! I think that's the nicest rendition I've seen of that engine. As Sam suggests, I have some Bently pics but they're on my Mac which has died on me. I do have a couple of suspension close ups on the phone though!

Lovely work Jeremy! I think that's the nicest rendition I've seen of that engine. As Sam suggests, I have some Bently pics but they're on my Mac which has died on me. I do have a couple of suspension close ups on the phone though!

VT, would be great if you could share the pics of the suspensions. Will be some time before i start work on them, but the more references the better.

Seeing the work you guys have done on this forum has pushed me to go all out on the Bentley. I'm taking my time on this build as after I'm done with this kit, there's no other kit that will motivate me as much. The 1/12 Bentley is the reason i'm in the large scale car build.

Regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy,

strangely i find that the gravity colors look different, lighter when in the bottle. i hope you will enjoy using them and pleased with the results as i am.

Did you choose the 'varnish pack' where you can mat-gloss dose the finish to obtain a vintage look ?

Also, i think you did very well to pick the BB amalgam model as your benchmark. It is a tough one but i am sure you can do it and have fun. i have seen your built.

This amalgam model is so sharp and crisp.

yesterday i looked at the pictures for a long time trying to understand what makes this particular scale model so beautiful. The painting is absolutely fantastic. There is no weathering at all, yet it looks so real. The details are so realistic at this scale. we should have a thread on this subject alone so everyone can provide his reasons. Why is it so sharp ?

if you are using the AK waxes, am sure you already concluded that less is more with the waxes.

You need just enough to be able to polish it. one can easily apply too much just like peanut butter and jelly on a toast. :)

Sam,

I did not get their varnish pack. I'll be using the Mr. Hobby Semi Gloss to finish the body as i have obtained pretty good results so far.

The Amalgam model has the advantage of being 1/8 scale, so it's easier to make the smaller parts. I'm going blind trying to make the linkages.

I like the leather covered body of the Amalgam model. Look at the belt buckles, dashboard, door hinges, seats, etc. on the model. It would be tough to replicate on a 1/12, but not impossible. Only reason i'm saying it's not impossible is because i know you will be doing it :winkgrin: . I guess the Amalgam model also has the advantage of real metal parts being used, so it requires less finishing for the bare metal parts? The model also relies a lot on machined parts for precision.

You are right about the waxes. It takes getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, they are invaluable in painting the smaller pieces and using for touch-ups. Best of all, they are easily removed if painted wrongly.

Regards,

Jeremy

Hi guys,

The engine's almost done. Linkages, spark plug connectors and cable holders were scratch built. The white wires are linen wrapped wires I found in a craft store. Linkages made up of ally rods and styrene pieces.

DSC_0392.jpg

DSC_0394.jpg

DSC_0395.jpg

DSC_0396.jpg

DSC_0397.jpg

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the fuzz from the white wires other than tediously trimming them off? I brushed flat clear over them but it didn't help much with the fuzz.

Regards,

Jeremy

• Like 3

Looking great! The cam-shaft nose cap should be rounded off though, it's not square at the end. The funnel shaped part you show in post 10 should then be attached to the end cap at an angle - it's the gear drive for the tachometer.

Also don't forget the other half of the water pump plumbing, which Airfix don't supply in the kit. They give you the outlet to the crankcase, but not the inlet from the rad. It should join the radiator at the bottom left corner. Unfortunately I don't have any clear pics of it, and have had to use a number of pics which just show glimpses of it from different angles.

You might find some good reference pics here. there are none of Blowers, but a lot of 3 litres which shared a lot of features.

http://www.mckenzieguppy.co.uk/flickr-photos

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1

Looks great. Lovely added details.

If the ignition wires are still removable, I'd be tempted to re-do them in thin wire wrapped with sticky surgical tape.

It's very thin, is real white fabric and is super sticky.

A bonus - it's fluff-free.

You can get it for a few quid in any pharmacy.

Roy.

Great Work Jeremy.

in my case the fluff comes when i use the wrong paint etc. so i found that acrylic colors hand painted without lacquer or anything added works perfect on the silk.

Edited by sharknose156

After looking at the pics, I decided not to live with the fluff. So I removed the cables and singed it with a lighter. It managed to remove all the fluff but I think because I coated it with flat clear, it turned brownish.

Too brownish to be passed off as heavy weathering, but it should be easily fixed by some light coats of off-white paint.

Regards,

Jeremy

Looking great! The cam-shaft nose cap should be rounded off though, it's not square at the end. The funnel shaped part you show in post 10 should then be attached to the end cap at an angle - it's the gear drive for the tachometer.

Also don't forget the other half of the water pump plumbing, which Airfix don't supply in the kit. They give you the outlet to the crankcase, but not the inlet from the rad. It should join the radiator at the bottom left corner. Unfortunately I don't have any clear pics of it, and have had to use a number of pics which just show glimpses of it from different angles.

You might find some good reference pics here. there are none of Blowers, but a lot of 3 litres which shared a lot of features.

http://www.mckenzieguppy.co.uk/flickr-photos

Ian

Hi Ian,

I will remove it and round the nose cap. Is the funnel shaped part fused to the nose cap? It looks that way in some pictures.

I can't find any pics which show how the other half of the water plumbing looks. So might leave it just like this.

Regards,

Jeremy

Ian, great link ! Thanks. i have this car in my stach and look forward to build it after the 806.

i hope VT sees the link, there are great pieces for playing with this lathe here - if he is going to build this car :banghead:

Jeremy, Great work. Your car will be epic. Enjoy. i saw your post about using the lighter .... i read somewhere that you can only use oil paints on these silk cables. i got away with AK acrylics but i think oil is the way to go next time. :popcorn:

Hi Jeremy, yes the funnel shaped part is attached to the nose cap. The nose cap contains one bevel gear, the funnel shape part contains another, the two form the drive for the tach.

I couldn't find a clear picture that showed it all at once, but here is how I put mine together based on a number of pics:

20150202_213048-1.jpg

This pic shows most of it:

Engine%20Rt%20linkages.jpg

and these two may give a clue to the routing of the radiator/water pump connection. You can just make out the water pump end in front of the distributor, the other end joins the radiator at its bottom left corner.....

Engine%20Lt%201.jpg

Engine%20Lt%204.jpg

I hope these help.

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Build's moving along. Took me some time to work on the leaf springs. Added a reinforcing plate (is this what it's called?) along the sides of the frame. The small metal piece on the foreground is part of the lever and it's made by shaping ally tube.

DSC_0417.jpg

DSC_0418.jpg

Regards,

Jeremy

• Like 2