1/48 Hobby Boss P-38

Really easy kit to build, years ago I tried to build the Academy one and the Hasegawa one, but the wing always looked wonky, the entire wings/fuselage/boom/tail comes in one piece, at the expense of detail, but I didn't mind.

IMG_5351.JPGIMG_5352.JPGThanks for lookin'

Owen

• Like 9

Nice work Owen

How simplistic is the detail on this kit? I've been tempted by it myself once or twice but never quite got there.

James

James,

I understand your possible concern. The same thought went through my mind before buying this kit, having already learned about the two-piece fuselage pod/mainplane and tail boom moulding and taking into account the modest RRP. Like the other co-respondent, I had previously struggled with the Academy and Hasegawa kits, which still make up nicely but can be a challenge. I took the plunge and bought this kit and was pleasantly surprised with the moulding. Yes, its simplistic in places, given that it is marketed as one of the 'easy' kits but IMHO, they have not sacrificed much when compared to the other offerings. The cockpit and wheel wells may be sightly simpler but I do not think much has been sacrificed in terms of surface detail. Some of the surface detail is perhaps a little too 'raised' or overemphasized (the kit does NOT have raised panel lines) but nothing that detracts from the completed model as can be seen from the pictures in this thread. One of the more obvious items for replacement are the nose cannon…these should be drilled out and replaced with brass ones. Personally, I believe this is a value for money kit which builds up nicely and does not look too simplistic when placed alongside the Academy or Hasegawa examples.

Go for it !

• Like 1

Thanks Tiger

Great answer. You're right that from the outside the kit certainly looks the part.

Will definitely give it a try sometime.

James

That's spot on Tiger, the only thing I might add is that the lack of surface detail is only really lacking on the vertical surfaces due to the way it's molded, something easily fixed with a scriber, rivet thing and that tape I can't remember the name of. I didn't go crazy on that side of it, just a quick build of a €22 kit. Put nose weights in the nose and the engine nacelles.

Thanks Y'all

IMG_3647.JPG

Edited by Scanlan
  • Like 1

The only other issue that I forgot to mention and which is clearly evident in the photo above is the need to drill/hollow out the small intake ducts on the engine nacelles (both those adjacent to the turbochargers and on the nacelle sides). They really do benefit from this little bit of extra work.