Advance under fire, Northern France 1940

For your perusal, comments and critique, I present the very first diorama I made after returning to the hobby after 30 years.

It is meant to depict a section of Panzer Grenadiers advancing under fire through a town somewhere in Northern France during the 1940 campaign. They are supported by a PzkwIV giving suppressive fire from its main armament.

The kits used were the Tamiya PzkwIV Ausf D with the German Panzer Grenadier set of figures and the. Miniart diorama with a ruined house, all in 1:35 scale. The rubble is made from a load of terracotta plant pots crushed into small bits with the timber from the sticks off firework rockets and (actually) burned floorboards from the trusty coffee stirrers, "donated" from a well known outlet.

As ever, all comments and suggestions always welcome.

Enjoy.

image_zpske6tzsyw.jpeg

image_zpsnoouokxo.jpeg

image_zpsnu29hqjg.jpeg

image_zps6z9x9ygg.jpeg

image_zpsga70wtwl.jpeg

image_zps1xl7ajns.jpeg

image_zps9isjhynh.jpeg

image_zpstecg909l.jpeg

• Like 8

Nice Dio,

I like the idea for the rubble, I will give it a try on my next dio project. I'm sure I've got a pot knocking around.

A good job that Dang. Nice Panzer, and good use of the figures and building, all tied up with a nice neat base/boarder.

I do have one criticism, and offer a minor piece of advice. The crushed plant pot.... the pieces aren't brick shaped and some pieces are larger than whole bricks. If you crushed them up smaller they would look like shattered brick debris and it wouldn't matter so much about their unbricky shapes. Personally I like to have some rubble containing whole, half and quarter bricks. I make mine from thick plasticard or cut up matchsticks or miliput. You only need a few scattered around amongst the rubble to make the whole lot seem bricky. Oh, and it needs to be the same colour as the actual bricks of the building.

But then, I am pedantic about dioramas and not so pedantic about AFVs!

I look forward to you next dio.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

Nice one D-D........those panzer grenadiers certainly get about,they're in my mini-art dio too,at least they will be if I can pull my finger out & finish it!

Good use of the flower pots,think I'll give that a try as well,plus the plasti-card bricks that Badder suggests.

Andrew

I agree about the size of the rubble chunks but as it was my first foray I didn't think about that too much at the time. I may "edit" it and use some more finely crushed plant pot to try and mask the larger bits, and some matchstick bricks as suggested by Badder. As to the colour, I tried to match them by using terracotta coloured paint to do the brickwork on the building walls and this was about as close as I could get.

Edited by Fatman24834154
  • Like 1

I agree about the size of the rubble chunks but as it was my first foray I didn't think about that too much at the time. I may "edit" it and use some more finely crushed plant pot to try and mask the larger bits, and some matchstick bricks as suggested by Badder. As to the colour, I tried to match them by using terracotta coloured paint to do the brickwork on the building walls and this was about as close as I could get.

Having looked again at the colour of the rubble, you have got it quite close. I think beer might have had an effect on my perception. :thumbsup:

Badder

• Like 1

• 3 months later...