Differences between F-101B and CF-101B

Plasto

What they taught us to say if ever asked was "I can neither confirm nor deny we had (them)" :tapedshut: I worked both in SAS/WSA (where they were stored) and in 409 Squadron loading them.

Jari

Hi Guys..

Great info.

We has our monthly model club meet and someone brought along the Monogram F-101B they are building it's going to be a USAF version with Caradecal's used for a Texas ANG scheme I think.

Anyhow I scored the old Decals one of which has a Canadian Scheme... The Boxing I have on the way is the later Revell version with two USAF Schemes.

I don't think the Monogram Decals are in great shape. But its nice to have them as a back stop. I'm likely going to run with the Canuck Decals Sheet.

http://www.canuckmodels.com/

I also note Quickboost make some replacement scoops for the F-101B

http://www.quickboost.net/Obrazky/48235.jpg

are these appropriate for the CF-101??

Cheers

Plasto

Edited by Plasto

I also note Quickboost make some replacement scoops for the F-101B are these appropriate for the CF-101??

Cheers

Plasto

The two on either end of the resin set, yes. The scoop in the middle, I'm guessing is the scoop for the nose and applicable only for the early first batch of Can Voodoos.

Cheers, Tony

So A bit of add on ordering today for the CF-101.

Canuck Decals Sheet..

the Quickboost Scoops

Master Pitot

Brassin Aim-4's...

Anyone know what the 'lobster run' decals represent on the Canuck Decals sheet???

Cheers

Plasto...

Edited by Plasto

I was given to understand the 'zap' signifies that the aircraft was used at one point to transport lobster from the East coast to wherever. There was a Tutor in Moose Jaw with a lobster 'zap' on it's luggage door.( can't remember the tail number ,though)

Tony is correct. The lobster markings indicated the aircraft were 'lobster transports'. As you might imagine, there was no standard 'official' design. Here's a photo of one with a fairly large lobster. Note also that the squadron crest on the fin is in the process of being added or changed.

Bob

lobster.jpg

• Like 1

Another little minor detail missing on the kit, the divider plate at the front of the armament door has two support brackets:

101rayt.jpg

as you can see on the above pic. They were for support mainly but they came in handy as that is where the main gear ground locks went when the a/c went away on a trip, the nose gear had a pin that was handed to the pilot.

Jari

Edited by Finn

I was given to understand the 'zap' signifies that the aircraft was used at one point to transport lobster from the East coast to wherever. There was a Tutor in Moose Jaw with a lobster 'zap' on it's luggage door.( can't remember the tail number ,though)

The Lobster runs were every Thursday in Edmonton, I miss the lobster runs.

• Like 1

I would like to build the black EF-101 sometime in the future, so casually following this thread, have to say there is some fantastic info and pics here.

Fascinating about the Lobsters, where were they carried?

A well known shot, but inspirational for scheme choices, http://www.canadianwings.com/cmsAdmin/uploads/aircraft/gallery/voo_17.jpg

Nice one Chally. The Electric Voodoo does look great.

I was wondering where you'd fit (presumably live) lobster in a Voodoo maybe there was a lobster pod??

I've ordered the Legend Avionics Bay on a CF-101 does anyone know what the interior colour of the bay would be??

4B33049F-7E5E-436D-A956-C5D678200751_zps

Interior green??? I'm picking that the factory colour was used and this wasn't refurbished and painted locally in Canada...

Cheers

Plasto...

Edited by Plasto
  • Like 1

A luggage carrier fit onto the AIR-2A racks, there were 3 types, a larger one which opened at the side:

a spare starter fit on the front of it. Then a medium size one:

which opened at the front and finally a web type net that came into being late in the Voodoo's service life. Most times luggage was put into the armament bay, the armament door was rotated until almost closed, the luggage was put in and the door was rotated until flush. More than a few times when the a/c would return the Nav in the back seat would signal to open the door slowly as there was breakable objects in the luggage ie bottles of certain type beverages from trips to the US. Most times they would plan their return to after hours and park in the QRA where Customs couldn't enter.

Interior green was the paint on the inside of the panels, they only got touch ups mostly. For a loaded a/c the only panels open would be 200R (right side), the large panel in the pic above and 207R just aft of 200R.

Jari

Interesting shot, what was going there with the paint?

The paint is poster paint applied with mops when we to Maple Flag in the early 80's to camo up the Voodoos a bit, here are a few more of pics i took:

if you plan to do it don't paint too much of the top of the horizontal stab as the forklift, which i was driving, couldn't reach that high.
Jari
Edited by Finn

Cool...

How hard was it to get off once the Exercise was over? Pressure washed off?

Also what was the reason for the change form an aluminium Lacquer finish to the Voodoo Grey finish?? Was it for Camouflage or to prevent Airframe corrosion??

Plasto

Edited by Plasto

Cool...

How hard was it to get off once the Exercise was over? Pressure washed off?

Plasto

Just a fire hose did the trick although a few a/c flew thru rain clouds on the way home and that took most of the paint off leaving a nice weathered looked and there was at least one occasion where one of the planes did some QRA duty before being washed but still had the rain weathered look to it.

Jari

Hi,

My 101 kit has arrived.... So I'll be shortly opening up a WIP thread. In the correct area.

Thanks for all the great comments and advice here.

Cheers

Plasto...

I heard today the Kittyhawk kit may be cancelled, there is not enough interest in the Asian market. I heard this from a reliable source who worked on part of the kit.

Bummer, I was looking forward to a new CF-101 kit. I hope this isn't final!