1/72 - McDonnell FH-1 Phantom by Special Hobby - released - new boxing

Homebee

I think it's very unlikely to be a reissue. The 1990's MPM kit has been long OOP, and in fact is one of the very first injected efforts from the company. A very few of the "red box" MPM kits were reissued in the "Upgrade Series" white boxes in the late '90s, and after that were deleted from catalogue. As far as I know, those moulds can not be injected anymore. In fact, none has been reissued.

One of the box arts shows an FH-1 with external fuel tank, that feature wasn't included in the old kit.

This are greats news, that's for shure!

Almost certainly not a repop for all the reasons modelmod said: I built one a few years ago and it was a very crude kit... certainly nothing close to SH's current efforts.

2p2-3.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Definitely a new tool kit.

Source: http://www.specialhobby.info/2016/10/a-new-model-announcement-sh37297-fh-1.html

SH37297 FH-1 Phantom "Demonstration Teams and Trainers" in 72nd scale

A new model of the first US naval fighter, the FH-1 Phantom is currently being prepared here at Special Hobby. Well, some may say it had already been here long time ago, but it´s definitely not the case as the new model will benefit from much refined manufacturing technologies available currently to Special Hobby. Every single part of this new model has been designed using our CAD/CAM package, the kit´s main components will be injected into an electro-plated tooling mould while the tooling for the smaller ones will be miller cutted from aluminium. In the photos below you can inspect some of the pre-production master parts.

SH72297_FH-1%2BPhantom.jpg

IMG_4776.JPG

IMG_4777.JPG

IMG_4779.JPG

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been thinking about buying the old MPM kit (which I used to have). It pops up from time to time on eBay. Now I'll definitely wait until this comes out. I'd love to see it in the WWII-style stars and bars, but I suppose I could cobble those together from decals I have. It is nice to have a new-mould kit of this trailblazer (first U.S. Navy jet, I believe).

Regards,

Jason