1/48 Italeri Phantom-Luftwaffe.

Hi all,not having anything in the stash this was a GB I thought I would miss,that and not really being a jet modeller,I popped

into my local air museum to donate a few older kits I was never going to build and while there noticed a half dozen old

Esci and Italeri Phantom kits had been donated,long story but the guy called it a swap when I went to pay for this kit and an

Esci Black Bunny F4-J.The F4J is a beauty sadly this Italeri kit looks a bit of a dog by comparison,very raised panel lines etc

but it looks like a Phantom although I,m sure it's a bit dodgy accuracy wise,anyway the decals look usable and it's a nice

scheme so why not have a go,box to start with.

DSCN1277_zpsopmiwgby.jpg

Oh the scheme is a 1989 vintage so just made it in!

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 4

Nice colour scheme, IIRC the other markings are for a New Jersey ANG F-4E in Hill Grey.

There were several versions of this Italeri / Testors mould - F-4E/F, F-4G, F-4S and RF-4C/E that I can recall. Never completed one though so will be interested to see how you get on.

The ESCI kits (one of which was later re-boxed as the Italeri F-4J) were excellent for their time and , as you say, can still give good results with a bit of TLC.

Good luck!

Michael

Edited by Ghostbase
  • Like 1

Hi folk,s thought it time to post a start,here's the major components which does look like a Phantom.Borrowed a Phantom special magazine for tip,s

etc and this is the basic fuselage assembly too.Shame the IP is suplied as decals only as the raised detail on the consoles is quite nice.So should get

a start in the next couple of days when the airbrush comes out.

DSCN1296_zpsvfaob6np.jpg

DSCN1295_zpsx8ysvv21.jpg

DSCN1293_zpsb4fxx2g1.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all,got a start on this one as far as the cockpit,just my "make it busy looking" treatment to the raised detail which I,m sure is inaccurate so dry

brushed the highlights and decalled some of the blanc surfaces including the rear cockpit bulkhead,the seats are painted just going to sort out

some decals to look like the harness arrangement.

DSCN1299_zpscvnynrqw.jpg

DSCN1300_zpsmppgwt38.jpg

DSCN1301_zpseicso8ti.jpg

DSCN1304_zps6pmelbac.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all,you know this kit is growing on me! yea it,s as old as the hill's but take it as it is and it,s not that bad,I will loose all the detail on top of the

fuselage as it needs a lot of sanding but the wheel well /lower fuselage plug common to most phantom kit's is as good as some newer offering's.

Wings cleaned up and glued no hassle here either.Thanks for looking in.

DSCN1305_zpsccuvven6.jpg

DSCN1306_zpskg7yz7ua.jpg

Hi folk,s talk about time running away with you,got so into this one this morning I,m at this stage now and the table's going away only two hours and the

missus will be home so much to do! Leaving to dry now then priming before filling in the problem area's I,ve already noticed.

DSCN1312_zpsmm5fpkoy.jpg

• Like 3

morning folk's I,ve been squirrelling away at this one for a few days and after priming got her as good as I think I can with filling and sanding.Now

my view is if I cant get the paint job right first the project is dead in the water although how I can get near the weathered look of the real thing is way

beyond me especially without recessed lines which always help,also the fuselage paint job is going to be a challenge look at how the real experts

do it from my reference build.http://www.hyperscale.com/features/2000/phantomIIda_2.htm

anyway here's the primed and base coated airframe.

DSCN1320_zpsc2ztwaxw.jpg

And the starboard wing with it,s camo applied.

DSCN1319_zpsz5aslhyx.jpg

• Like 4

Morning folk's I studied the colour call outs on the instruction,s again and realised how wrong I had originally read them so I,ve corrected the

wing painted previously and finished the port wing,also the much easier two shades of gray.Now the part I,m dreading which is the fuselage

top colours and style of application,this is where it could all go pear shaped :banghead:

DSCN1326_zpsblzpwz3b.jpg

DSCN1327_zpswziaqncz.jpg

• Like 4