de Havilland Hornet Moth in RAF service - update

Ed Russell

26 minutes ago, bjohns5 said:

If I can bring back up this old thread, I have a question about that Tiger Moth N6839. It has a very low demarcation line between the upper and lower colors. Would that indicate the underside is probably silver? And during the period the Scarecrowatrols were flown, late 39 to early 40, would it like have had the shadow scheme colors on the lower wing? I'd like to build a 1/48 Airfix Tiger as one of the submarine patrol aircraft.

Not sure about the lower surface colour but yellow would seem right despite it being used for aggessive actions. As for the camo the standard shadow green brown would be applied as far as I know.

7 hours ago, Paul J said:

Not sure about the lower surface colour but yellow would seem right despite it being used for aggessive actions. As for the camo the standard shadow green brown would be applied as far as I know.

Thanks. I suppose the mission of those patrols was different than most since the goal was to BE SEEN by submarines instead of trying to approach them undetected. Yellow undersurfaces would have aided that.

Edited by bjohns5

This Tiger N6839 was one of a batch  of N serialed machines built in 1938 at Hatfield.  I have a picture of an N6xxx serial Tiger from, I think the Tiger Moth book, which shows two Tigers with mid-fuselage lined camouflage on fuselage, wings and tailplanes but yellow undersurfaces, outer wingtips, fin, rudder and elevators.  Noticeably, this aircraft has both upper and lower surfaces faces of the mainplanes in the same dark toned colours and pattern.  (Not the only one I found)  The earliest known AD.1169 for biplanes is February 1939, this shows the lower planes in the lighter shades of camouflage and changed pattern.  On a CD of air diagrams I was given are two parts of a 1938 s D.H. works Tiger Moth drawing detailing colours and dimensions which shows the yellow wingtips and the same camouflage on the mainplanes.  A note there on simply states finish as A.D.1169.   Paul Lucas's recent magazine article doesn't mention this.  It is likely therefore that N6839 was yellow underneath since it was part of a contract for the Air Ministry.  In 1940 little thought had ben given to specific  undersurface anti-submarine colours, some Ansons and Hudsons were still in black, silver or US Sky.  I have no idea how to post an image on this forum.

27 minutes ago, Mike Starmer said:

T  In 1940 little thought had ben given to specific  undersurface anti-submarine colours, some Ansons and Hudsons were still in black, silver or US Sky.  I have no idea how to post an image on this forum.

Hi Mike,

You can't directly post an image here - you need to post it somewhere else (Like Flickr) and then link to it

I read somewhere that the Tiger Moths allocated to the Scarecrow Patrol units were taken from reserve stocks. I assume that means they were unissued since delivery? In 1938 would they have been delivered in overall yellow? And if so would the storage depot have repainted them each time specifications changed? Or would they have left them as-delivered until they needed to be issued to units?